Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
I think despite the contract, Oshie will be one of the best players available to be taken. And assuming Seattle isn't up against the cap immediately, it makes sense for them to grab the star power and leadership he has.

So I think VV and Sammy are both safe regardless of who we protect.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I think despite the contract, Oshie will be one of the best players available to be taken. And assuming Seattle isn't up against the cap immediately, it makes sense for them to grab the star power and leadership he has.

So I think VV and Sammy are both safe regardless of who we protect.

There has been whispers that Oshie might not be avaivable.

Jun 15, 2007
There has been whispers that Oshie might not be avaivable.

If they protect Oshie it would be a mistake in my opinion.

When they signed Oshie to that contract it was clear they traded length for caphit. More years than he should be getting but at a lower AAV.

If we could somehow get out of the length scot-free then we shouldn't miss the opportunity.

We don't even know if Seattle would even take him. They might be scared by the length too.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

When they signed Oshie to that contract it was clear they traded length for caphit. More years than he should be getting but at a lower AAV.

If we could somehow get out of the length scot-free then we shouldn't miss the opportunity.

We don't even know if Seattle would even take him. They might be scared by the length too.

Tell this to my wife and shell kill you right where you are standing.

Reactions: Roshi

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Probably, but not definitely. Sammy could
Have some great starts, continue to get “hurt” and play sparingly, and thus remain an enigma. I don’t see that avenue w Vanny at all. Only would lose him if he’s lights out.

again, I think the guy will be Siegenthaler. Heard it here first! (Or perhaps, second, fourth, or twelfth, but you get my drift)

Well, we also could always throw in a sweetner to have them pick who we want them to pick.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Tj Oshie, the Oshbabe if you will, is a fan favorite and so long as he is still productive, it would not be smart to ditch him. His role is not so easily replaceable. Seattle would absolutely grab him.

Protect TJ!

Reactions: Roshi

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Oshie is the pefect sacrifice if you see the game only through tv screen and capfriendly. Its harder choice on the office.

Their focus is on winning the cup and thats the only acceptable mission with this team. So its more about the season 2021/22 than it is about 2023/24. Its harder to control what happens in three years than what happens next year.

Problem with Oshie is that against all the expectations he has still not shown signs of declining. We know its coming but maybe not next year. Or year after that? And anything can happen in two years, theres lots of other ways the contract might come to its end if/when it becomes a real problem. LTIR, trade, retirement.

Meanwhile Oshie is not only worth of his paycheck, but also a glue guy and ”lead by example”-leader. Who are you going to replace him with?

On the other hand, you lose a promising goalie (assuming Vanecek keeps it up), and you still have one left.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Probably, but not definitely. Sammy could
Have some great starts, continue to get “hurt” and play sparingly, and thus remain an enigma. I don’t see that avenue w Vanny at all.
Only would lose him if he’s lights out.

again, I think the guy will be Siegenthaler. Heard it here first! (Or perhaps, second, fourth, or twelfth, but you get my drift)

In this scenario we protect the steady guy and let Kraklovers take the enigma, right? Again not sure they would take a shaky goalie who has proved absolutely nothing, just because he was a #1 pick some years ago. Looked it up, drafted in 2015, so 7 years from then to the ED and not a lot to show for it so far.

Speaking of goalies drafted in the first round, surprising to see how few there are. Between Vasilesky and Malcom Subban in 2012, and Spencer Knight in 2019, there has been only one goalie drafted in the first round, and he currently has Covid and plays for the Caps.

Reactions: Calicaps

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Also the key dates to keep in mind:

July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for 2021 NHL Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).
July 21: 2021 NHL Expansion Draft (8 p.m. ET).
July 23: First round of 2021 NHL Draft.
July 24: Rounds 2-7 of 2021 NHL Draft.
July 28: Restricted free agent/unrestricted free agent signing period begins (12 p.m. ET).

Maybe Seattle would balk at picking Sammy anyways if they know they have to give him a new contract right away (RFA) depending on what he wants.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

If again he finishes as the Caps 2nd top goal scorer, you take the hit to the team for salary cap in the future? Players that impact like Oshie dont grow on trees. His production will very likely be lost.

A Caps team that would have a legit shot at a cup with Oshie would very likely not without him. Its a pain now or pain later situation

Jun 15, 2007
If again he finishes as the Caps 2nd top goal scorer, you take the hit to the team for salary cap in the future? Players that impact like Oshie dont grow on trees. His production will very likely be lost.

A Caps team that would have a legit shot at a cup with Oshie would very likely not without him. Its a pain now or pain later situation

If you assume GMBM does nothing with the 5.75m in cap space then you'd have a point.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Jun 15, 2007
Not sure what THAT good means, but he is pretty easily worth 5,75 m for us today.
Yes today.

But more likely than not, not for the next 5 years.

5 years in which we should try our best to win a second cup for Ovechkin.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yes today.

But more likely than not, not for the next 5 years.

5 years in which we should try our best to win a second cup for Ovechkin.

Thats the point. Today we have a good player under a good contract. Why throw that away because of something that might be? Contending should be minimizing what ifs and concentrating for today.

Theres a lot of ways to get rid of a contract when we get to that point. We are not at that point yet.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Thats the point. Today we have a good player under a good contract. Why throw that away because of something that might be? Contending should be minimizing what ifs and concentrating for today.

Theres a lot of ways to get rid of a contract when we get to that point. We are not at that point yet.

spot on...

Jun 15, 2007
Do you see a team #2 in goal scoring somewhere for $6m?

Don't you think it's disingenuous to frame it that way since most likely Oshie won't be #2 in goals for the remainder of his contract, which is what we are discussing?

Reactions: Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Don't you think it's disingenuous to frame it that way since most likely Oshie won't be #2 in goals for the remainder of his contract, which is what we are discussing?

when are you expecting this massive drop off from him? He’s almost consistently 20+, high 40s-50s in points. His one slight down year, oh yeah, we won a Cup and he was a massive contributor in the postseason.

Until we have some real threats to supplant his spot in the top-6, no sense in planning for his premature departure IMO.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
In this scenario we protect the steady guy and let Kraklovers take the enigma, right? Again not sure they would take a shaky goalie who has proved absolutely nothing, just because he was a #1 pick some years ago. Looked it up, drafted in 2015, so 7 years from then to the ED and not a lot to show for it so far.

Speaking of goalies drafted in the first round, surprising to see how few there are. Between Vasilesky and Malcom Subban in 2012, and Spencer Knight in 2019, there has been only one goalie drafted in the first round, and he currently has Covid and plays for the Caps.

Don't forget the goalie Askarov, drafted at #11 by Nashville in the last draft.

Jun 15, 2007

It's a well studied phenomenon in psychology that as a whole, people underestimate the likelihood of negative events (such as a hockey player on their favorite team regressing badly)

The optimism bias - ScienceDirect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad