Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
@Raikkonen just to reply to your petulent message on the game thread, reminder - THERE'S AN EXPANSION DRAFT COMING.

Keeping Samsonov and Vanecek is going to be very difficult, so one option on the table is to trade a goalie away, and if VV continues playing really well then it's going to be interesting to see who gets protected.

No one's saying trade Samsonov now, but at the end of the year the Caps will probably have to make a decision who they want to give to Seattle, this is a fan forum, fans are talking about what could go down. [mod]

25 years old guy with 5 NHL games under his belt

vs

young highly drafted guy with big upside

It's an uphill battle for VV, and goalies of VV caliber are available often, like every year often.

Samsonov could fail, but trying to decide who to protect after 7 games is a little too soon.

Calling me out with some strange words could be a consequence of drinking too much probably.

PS: If anything, losing VV on ED could be a good ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
What's the reasoning behind exposing Oshie? Because he's from Seattle area, getting older, high cap hit? I'm still not sure why we would expose one of our best players. Doesn't exactly seem wise

Reactions: SDBondra

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What's the reasoning behind exposing Oshie? Because he's from Seattle area, getting older, high cap hit? I'm still not sure why we would expose one of our best players. Doesn't exactly seem wise

Ditching his contract. Thats it. Because he is from Seattle it doesnt look like such a slap in the face.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England

vs

It's an uphill battle for VV, and goalies of VV caliber are available often, like every year often.

Samsonov could fail, but trying to decide who to protect after 7 games is a little too soon.

Calling me out with some strange words could be a consequence of drinking too much probably.

23 year old 22nd OA pick with 28 games under his belt who did stupid shit on an ATV and let his team down in the playoffs and then let his team down almost immediately the next year not following covid guidelines

vs

25 year old 39th OA pick with 5 NHL games under his belt who has been working his ass off for years.

Yeah, Samsonov's talent probably means he's kept, but no need for you to come in and shit on a conversation about it - what's the point of this forum if not to talk about what could happen in the future? [mod]

Also petulent isn't some exotic word I got out of a thesaurus, read a book once in a while.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

vs

just how long does that hold water? Through another year of mediocre play? 2 years?

I can’t wait for Sammy’s next start.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
@Raikkonen just to reply to your petulent message on the game thread, reminder - THERE'S AN EXPANSION DRAFT COMING.

Keeping Samsonov and Vanecek is going to be very difficult

I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. Its only true if Vitek seizes the day and leads the Caps to a division title or such as the primary goalie. Meaning he is consistently good or improving as the season progresses. At the same time Samsonov returns to his back up goalie level of play from last season. A situation where the Caps have 2 legit goalies.

Samsonov is taking a hammer to his reputation. If Vitek cant handle the load, why would Seattle want either of them? They are both projects goalies at that point and there will be turn key options out there. Taking the Caps 4 or 5d is a much more reliable choice

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
23 year old 22nd OA pick with 28 games under his belt who did stupid shit on an ATV and let his team down in the playoffs and then let his team down almost immediately the next year not following covid guidelines

vs

25 year old 39th OA pick with 5 NHL games under his belt who has been working his ass off for years.

Yeah, Samsonov's talent probably means he's kept, but no need for you to come in and shit on a conversation about it - what's the point of this forum if not to talk about what could happen in the future? [mod]

Also petulent isn't some exotic word I got out of a thesaurus, read a book once in a while.

Samsonov's talent means he is kept? Under what conditions? Be realistic. If Vitek keeps Samsonov in a back up role with a .920 ish sv%, handles the starting load and pressure and the Caps win another division, There is next to no chance the Caps dont protect VV. Samsonov would have to win back at least half the net with legit start's play for that to happen.

Otherwise you taking a player that has not responded well to 3 opportunities with the Capitals and let a guy go that won for you and did the job.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There are a lot of “what if’s” concerning the Caps player chosen. Right now, there are a LOT of players we need to worry about. Be it F, D, or G. One of Dillon, Schultz, Siegenthaler, and Jensen will be exposed unless we go 4/4. One of Dowd, Hagelin, Hathaway, Panik as well....assuming the resign Ovechkin and Vrana and protect the top 6 plus Eller.

I’m not sure who should/would supplant Oshie anyway, of the F’s? Suppose we could go 4/4, protect both Dillon and Schultz, not sign Ovechkin until after the draft (risky?!?!) and protect Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Vrana, and Wilson? Leaving Oshie and Eller? I don’t at all like the sound of that?

do we really think Seattle will take Vanacek over Schultz or Siegenthaler? Unless VV has a monster year and a terrific playoffs, I’d wager they will have better option on the G market.

I personally think Siegenthaler is at the most risk. Schultz is a better player today, but he’s older, injury prone, and will only have 1yr left on his deal.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I wouldnt jump to that conclusion. Its only true if Vitek seizes the day and leads the Caps to a division title or such as the primary goalie. Meaning he is consistently good or improving as the season progresses. At the same time Samsonov returns to his back up goalie level of play from last season. A situation where the Caps have 2 legit goalies.

Samsonov is taking a hammer to his reputation. If Vitek cant handle the load, why would Seattle want either of them? They are both projects goalies at that point and there will be turn key options out there. Taking the Caps 4 or 5d is a much more reliable choice
Someone like Siege is probably a more likely contender for who gets picked from the caps - depends how the rest of the league shakes out - if Vitek keeps playing like a starter and they get enough defencemen from the rest of the league we could lose him, would be nice to have both moving forwards.

There are some whacky predictions out there for expansion draft - nova caps had the caps exposing orlov while also protecting hathaway over eller - there are definitely some worse takes out there haha

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Whats the next take after 7 games? Carlson not worth 8M?
Ovechkin with abysmal goal pace not worth 12M?

Should we consider VV a favourite for Vezina or not yet?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Whats the next take after 7 games? Carlson not worth 8M?
Ovechkin with abysmal goal pace not worth 12M?

Should we consider VV a favourite for Vezina or not yet?
Why so salty? I know you like your guy Sammy, but he’s done a lot to create a criticism vacuum for himself. A LOT. You must see that?

if he doesn’t correct himself in short order, his shenanigans easily make him trade bait, if not Exp Draft material.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Last winter many here thought losing a defender via ED will be significant (it had to be Jensen or Siege).

Then came Dillon, Schultz, TVR, Chara. AA progressed, Fever is almost ready to play at 3rd pair at least. Caps are much better positioned to lose one D now. So no big deal.

Goalie problems? Everyone knew Samsonov isn't ready yet. Everyone knew if he fails Caps will have to get new one, because Holtby needed to let go due to cap reasons.

Sammy fails soon enough? You search for a goalie. VV happens to be the best available? Cool. Better goalie wants to be Caps starter? Bring him up.

I dont understand whats the problem.

Also there is no word 'petulent'.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Why so salty? I know you like your guy Sammy, but he’s done a lot to create a criticism vacuum for himself. A LOT. You must see that?

if he doesn’t correct himself in short order, his shenanigans easily make him trade bait, if not Exp Draft material.
Searle isnt feeling himself great.

This is my original msg:
How about we wait some time before dumping anyone?! Caps played 7 games, Sammy played 2, and you want to forget him already. JFC.

Is it too salty for you? :)

Never defended Sammy's actions. If he fails, he fails, why worry. When it was evident Varlamov's time is up I had no problems with it. Why would I?

If Sammy is dumb, its his problem, not mine.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Exposing VV or Sammy doesn't mean Seattle will take VV or Sammy, so we might be safe with both.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Someone like Siege is probably a more likely contender for who gets picked from the caps - depends how the rest of the league shakes out - if Vitek keeps playing like a starter and they get enough defencemen from the rest of the league we could lose him, would be nice to have both moving forwards.

There are some whacky predictions out there for expansion draft - nova caps had the caps exposing orlov while also protecting hathaway over eller - there are definitely some worse takes out there haha

Those people dont know what they are talking about. I think case I would suggest someone thinks Eller isnt worth his check and so wouldnt be selected.

If this is a 10 game Vitek hot streak and he comes back to earth, he wont be taken. I am cautioning as I have been for 2 years not to sell yourself on Samsonov. Thats all. He needs to prove he can do it and so far he has not

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

Right now we have $70,119,167 worth of cap next year and the flat max cap again at $81,500,000.

So $11,380,833 in cap space only

Players that are free agents:

Alex Ovechkin
Jakub Vrana (RFA)
Ilya Samsonov (RFA)
Jonas Siegenthaler (RFA)
Conor Sheary
Zdeno Chara
Trevor van Reimsdyk

less notables:

Craig Anderson
Daniel Carr
Michael Sgarbossa
Henrik Lundqvist
Beck Malenstyn
Zachary Fucale

Ovechkin and Vrana being the big ones, but quite a few holes to fill too outside of them.

The rumors were that Ovechkin was looking for $12 million over the summer but those were just rumors (from a Russian media source so I don't really know much about it). That would be more than the cap space we have by itself and that's without filling out the rest of the roster.

So losing Oshie's $5,750,000 would help a lot in that regard. Not saying we should do it or that I want to do it. But that's the reasoning at least.

Edit: and some posters will be happy here with the same deal except with Orlov, who also holds a similar cap hit at $5,100,000.

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
But also then again, who knows what the contracts will be like again this offseason? Will players be willing to sign 1 year for the minimum contracts again? That would help out a lot. A LOT.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Exposing VV or Sammy doesn't mean Seattle will take VV or Sammy, so we might be safe with both.

This: If either one of them plays well enough to get drafted by the Krakers, then they've played well enough to be protected. If neither of them play well enough to get taken, then who cares who we protect? If both play well enough to get drafted, then we roll the dice and may or may not lose one but we keep the other. I'm just not seeing much risk here.

We wring our hands around here about nothing some times.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
This: If either one of them plays well enough to get drafted by the Krakers, then they've played well enough to be protected. If neither of them play well enough to get taken, then who cares who we protect? If both play well enough to get drafted, then we roll the dice and may or may not lose one but we keep the other. I'm just not seeing much risk here.

We wring our hands around here about nothing some times.

I know right??

If we are at the point where Seattle takes one of Sammy or VV, that means BOTH have done great this year. Which is good news for us!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I know right??

If we are at the point where Seattle takes one of Sammy or VV, that means BOTH have done great this year. Which is good news for us!
Probably, but not definitely. Sammy could
Have some great starts, continue to get “hurt” and play sparingly, and thus remain an enigma. I don’t see that avenue w Vanny at all. Only would lose him if he’s lights out.

again, I think the guy will be Siegenthaler. Heard it here first! (Or perhaps, second, fourth, or twelfth, but you get my drift)

Reactions: Calicaps

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
One thing we should have learned from Vegas ED. Expect and be prepared to lose the guy that hurts most to lose.

We were so sure BM had a deal done or that McPhee was taking someone we didnt really need that much, and made so many excuses to why and how Schmidt would not be selected. Then we were angry and suprised they selected Schmidt. Of course they did. That was the best move for their franchise.

Seattle will take that one guy that we would need to keep, but cant protect. Right now id bet for them to take a goalie, as Vaneceks stock is rising and Sammy is still seen as a grade A- prospect. Both come with team control. Why would they take a nr 6-7 d Siegenhalert or some random third liner over them? There will be a lot of those guys in there, and not too many young interesting goalies.

Reactions: kicksavedave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad