Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Also it seems like tomorrow's game against Colorado will not be televised anywhere, but will be one of the games selected to be streaming exclusively with ESPN+ and HULU

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
It’s three games people, I like Vanecek but also why trade Samsonov? He makes $2 mil, just keep him…most teams have worse backups making more money. I’m content with the goaltending situation as it stands

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
VV does well in first 2 games of season
Caps fans - "Well, this means Samsonov must be terrible"

:laugh:
Uh I guess that's one way to take a sentence completely out of context.

Samsonov has the potential and talent to be an elite goaltender and it is now the 3rd season in a row where he has struggled to win the starter's role for a team with a massive goaltending problem.

It'd be one thing if they were going back and forth like they appear to be doing with HL/CMC, and like they did last season, but it's clearly not that anymore.

Reactions: GoCaps2004 and g00n

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’s practically been gifted the starters role for the 3rd season in a row now and still can’t seize it.

I would suggest that the insiders with the team didnt gift him the starter gig, but they did let Seattle take Vanecek. Not sure where they would be if they hadnt gotten him back.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I would suggest that the insiders with the team didnt gift him the starter gig, but they did let Seattle take Vanecek. Not sure where they would be if they hadnt gotten him back.
I didn't mean he was literally gifted the job, I meant there was a very clear opportunity for a young goaltender of his caliber to win the job on a cup contender with a massive goaltending hole, and he has failed to do so over 3 seasons now.

Samsonov was an elite prospect. He has not lived up to that billing. That is what I mean by it becoming a yikes situation.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn't mean he was literally gifted the job, I meant there was a very clear opportunity for a young goaltender of his caliber to win the job on a cup contender with a massive goaltending hole, and he has failed to do so over 3 seasons now.

Samsonov was an elite prospect. He has not lived up to that billing. That is what I mean by it becoming a yikes situation.

My take is that the team selected Samsonov over Vanecek when they knew who they left unprotected was very likely the choice off their team Seattle would take. I suppose they may have known from the jump they would get him back, but I dont like the odds of that being the case.

My view was that the Caps would give Samsonov every chance to be the starter. I thought that meant that Vanecek would have to wait his turn and Sammy would start the season as the #1. Then he missed a game or two with an injury. I thought when he started the last pre season game that he was in. Apparantly he is not and my guess now is that its Vanecek's job til he opens the door with poor play. I dont know

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You must be new to this board. Or as a great songwriter once penned "If it wasn't for over reaction, we wouldn't have any reactions".

(Sing that in your head, it flows like AJF's hair)

Maybe I am not reading well. What overreaction has their been? You are not surprised that Vanecek is starting the 1st 3 games? Didnt the Caps protect Samsonov to use him that way? Thats what I thought.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Maybe I am not reading well. What overreaction has their been? You are not surprised that Vanecek is starting the 1st 3 games? Didnt the Caps protect Samsonov to use him that way? Thats what I thought.

Your sense of humor and mine, they are just on different frequencies, but its all good :)

Do a quick search for "trade" and "yikes" in this thread, you will find some things that made some people think there may be some overreaction going on. But its all fine, we're all just here to talk :)

Reactions: Hivemind and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Your sense of humor and mine, they are just on different frequencies, but its all good :)

Do a quick search for "trade" and "yikes" in this thread, you will find some things that made some people think there may be some overreaction going on. But its all fine, we're all just here to talk :)

Yikes is a favorite word of mine. Used it as a response to a post on twitter from Padma Lakshmi this morning

Reactions: kicksavedave

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Uh I guess that's one way to take a sentence completely out of context.

Samsonov has the potential and talent to be an elite goaltender and it is now the 3rd season in a row where he has struggled to win the starter's role for a team with a massive goaltending problem.

It'd be one thing if they were going back and forth like they appear to be doing with HL/CMC, and like they did last season, but it's clearly not that anymore.
Yours wasn't the only comment I was responding to (see at least two responses on the previous page as well).

We're not even three games into the season and you're already declaring that not only is the coaching staff not rotating starts, but also that Samsonov has failed to seize the job. Talk about a premature reaction. Let's save the panic for after Sammy has laid an egg in some regular season games instead of freaking out that the coaches are following the hot hand (which VV has shown right now and is what basically everyone thought they would do).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I dont remember people here wanting to trade Samsonov. IIRC the consensus here was Vanecek was a backup level player and they had to make Samsonov work. That held up thru the Xdraft.
I could have messed the timing but that discussion was in full force since first covid incident IIRC

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I could have messed the timing but that discussion was in full force since first covid incident IIRC

I remember that squarely on Kuzy's plate. Not Samsonov. The way I remember that was Sammy needs to grow up. Kuzy knows better. but, ok.

Meanwhile that wouldnt be new to this new season.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Through training camp, preseason and 2 regular season games, VV is looking poised and sending a message that he deserves the #1 job. For all the hype with Samsonov since he came over from the KHL, he has been a big disappointment. He just doesn't seem to fully want to be here(it appears that way to me). He has had a challenge adjusting to the American culture and his learning/speaking of the English language has been slow. If you can't adopt the culture of the country you are playing professionally in and can't fully grasp speaking/understanding the English language, then you are going to have struggles following what your coach(goalie coach in this case) is trying to teach you.

It's unfortunate. Samsonov has all the tools to be a #1 goalie, but his mental game is lacking. He's not showing enough that he's on track to improve and take that level above VV. I'm still seeing the same issues he had when he came over from Russia.

VV should be paid the $2 million and Samsonov $700k!

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Vanecek has been the better goalie pretty much since the start of both of their careers. That's not saying much considering how badly they sucked last year but says a lot about Samsonov personally. Being a top prospect for like 7-8 years and finding yourself in this situation now with the history of his f*** ups...that boy dumb as hell.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
All I know is thank God Seattle decided to sign Grubauer instead. And damn that was a bad game for Gruby last night. 5 goals on 20 shots against the Flyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad