Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Gotcha. I don't think that's much of a legit reason, though. Rotations are only as as their movement and the pace around it. Execute quickly enough and there's no time for defenses to adjust. It's just as much on everything away from the rotation and play leading up to it than doing it. I think they just want to feature Kuznetsov and are treating the other player as a retriever of sorts ala Johansson. But, yeah, why do that when there's a bigger, more varied skill set available? Puzzling for sure. One gets the sense they don't really know what to do with Mantha. He's a riddle in some ways but they've got to be more hands on with the middle six in general. It's not hard to see how scoring may dry up for them.

Lavi has an obvious thing for Try Hards and Sheary and Example #4 of that. But he needs more ambition and vision than sheer engagement. Otherwise he'll just end up riding scrambled play toward eventual mediocrity.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
@g00n was claiming stat abuse on your part:
Oh. Had to unlog to view the post. His claim of “stats abuse” basically is a gripe I listed the 32nd ranking (despite also giving context of where other goalies stood). Then he, very ironically, abused stats himself to frame VV favorably by eliminating all goalies with fewer than 6GP so far. While it’s reasonable to not include goalies with only a couple appearances or few minutes, we’re still early in the season. With a 6GP limit, he’s excluding the goalies on the teams with only 7-8 games played so far, as well as platoon starters (you know, VV’s peers). Suddenly he can exclude names like Hart, Petersen, Merzlikins, Anderson, Greiss, and Reimer to portray VV in a better light. You know, committing stats abuse.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

why did they release the cool retro jersey and then said actually, we are just gonna stick with this Big W instead...

The Blue W jersey's are the Caps actual 3rd alternates. The Red Screaming Eagles were part of the NHL's Retro Reverse initiative. Unless the NHL is planning to do the Retro Reverse thing again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oh. Had to unlog to view the post. His claim of “stats abuse” basically is a gripe I listed the 32nd ranking (despite also giving context of where other goalies stood). Then he, very ironically, abused stats himself to frame VV favorably by eliminating all goalies with fewer than 6GP so far. While it’s reasonable to not include goalies with only a couple appearances or few minutes, we’re still early in the season. With a 6GP limit, he’s excluding the goalies on the teams with only 7-8 games played so far, as well as platoon starters (you know, VV’s peers). Suddenly he can exclude names like Hart, Petersen, Merzlikins, Anderson, Greiss, and Reimer to portray VV in a better light. You know, committing stats abuse.

LOL no. I changed the games played to 6 to get a comparison of goaltenders around the league with at least that big of a sample size. VV's "peers" right now are people with at least as many games played and at least as many chances to either raise or lower their stats.

At 5 games VV drops to T-15th instead of T-11th with still very little significant statistical difference until 7th:
upload_2021-11-2_16-26-21.png

At 4 games he's T-17th and again no significant statistical difference until much higher, around 8th:

upload_2021-11-2_16-27-21.png

So yeah, stat abuse by you, meant to portray VV as a fringe ES goaltender when he's clearly solidly among the top starters.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Blue W jersey's are the Caps actual 3rd alternates. The Red Screaming Eagles were part of the NHL's Retro Reverse initiative. Unless the NHL is planning to do the Retro Reverse thing again.
True, but there’s also no reason they couldn’t “promote” the Reverse Retro jerseys to become the 2021-22 alternate Jersey.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
True, but there’s also no reason they couldn’t “promote” the Reverse Retro jerseys to become the 2021-22 alternate Jersey.

I would be ok with that. I like both. I actually wouldn't mind an actual home/away jersey change, but I know I'm way in the minority on that one *ducks*

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Gotcha. I don't think that's much of a legit reason, though. Rotations are only as as their movement and the pace around it. Execute quickly enough and there's no time for defenses to adjust. It's just as much on everything away from the rotation and play leading up to it than doing it. I think they just want to feature Kuznetsov and are treating the other player as a retriever of sorts ala Johansson. But, yeah, why do that when there's a bigger, more varied skill set available? Puzzling for sure. One gets the sense they don't really know what to do with Mantha. He's a riddle in some ways but they've got to be more hands on with the middle six in general. It's not hard to see how scoring may dry up for them.

Lavi has an obvious thing for Try Hards and Sheary and Example #4 of that. But he needs more ambition and vision than sheer engagement. Otherwise he'll just end up riding scrambled play toward eventual mediocrity.

I think it has to do more with Mantha than Kuzy right now. Mantha is not a featured shooter on pp2 and Sheary is on pp1. This reminds me entirely of Vrana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad