Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If the Isles wanted a trade, though they wouldn't do it, I'd inquire into Andy Green personally. Really crazy to me no one seems to know what Chara got from them cap hit wise. So no idea how close to the cap they are.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Waiving Kempny first was exactly the move I was getting ready to post about
Gotta feel bad for Kempny after all that work he put in to come back
I don’t know, that work isn’t done yet. Judging by the preseason he’s not quite back, he needs reps to feel things out. I don’t think they’re done with him I just think that injury history made him a safe waive. I think they waived him because they want to keep him if that makes any sense, because I don’t expect him to get claimed.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kempny in AHL is ideal. he needs games. if he's got lots of points and healthy in Spring that's very good for Caps.

Irwin is #7, that's clear too, TVR is LD. I don't see any problem so far

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The only way Kempny gets back to the level he was before is by playing in game action to find his timing and rhythm again. The way he played in the pre-season, the Capitals can't afford to give him that game action in the NHL. Sending him to the AHL makes sense, both for Kempny and the Capitals. If he does get claimed, another NHL team will soon come to the same conclusion that Washington did.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I kind of wonder if a scrub team might make a claim with an eye toward handing Kempny TOI and eventually flipping him at the deadline for a pick.

Could also see Panik & Wagner claimed by someone but you never know with waivers.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I kind of wonder if a scrub team might make a claim with an eye toward handing Kempny TOI and eventually flipping him at the deadline for a pick.

Could also see Panik & Wagner claimed by someone but you never know with waivers.
I would be surprised to see Panik claimed at this point. It cost us an arm and a leg to get rid of him.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

Maybe this is all a clever plan to recreate the 2018 magic. The last time they won a Cup - or a playoff series - was immediately after they traded for Kempny at the TDL. If you want to recreate that, you can’t trade for a guy already on your roster :sarcasm:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I certainly don’t hate sending Kempny to Hershey. Just surprised. I do think it opens the possibility of Backstrom not going on LTIR which would also surprise me. But hey, we’re not in the room and don’t have all of the information.

But for sure, Kempny wasn’t going to be in the top 6. If someone claims him we shave 2.5M. If he goes to Hershey he can get his game right and can come back if/when needed.

Reactions: Corby78

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
thats great, if the ovi injury means anything then we would then either have to LTIR backy or go 11F 7D

These assume Irwin sticks with the team, of course. You could also waive Irwin and not carry a 7th D while Backstrom is out, and keep McMichael and Malenstyn on the roster without LTIR relief. Once NB returned, you could still carry Malenstyn and bring back Irwin, if you kept McM and Kempny in Hershey.

However there isn’t a scenario in which all three of Lapierre, McMichael and Fever are on the roster together, without either another vet being waived or Backstrom going to LTIR.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Kempny's NHL journey has been anything but smooth. Feel for the guy.

Don't like the notion of TVR playing on the left. He is not nearly as effective there as he is on the right side. I'm bracing myself for a whole season of Irwin.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wouldn’t be shocked if Kempny is claimed. He's certainly put the work in to earn a shot to extend his career but he isn't ready yet. That being said he seems like a guy who works extremely hard and a young team might take him for experience that they can flip at the TDL for a free pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad