Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’m against a rotation this year. I’d pencil in Vanny for a 65/35 load. Sammy needs to compete successfully for his time and we need a starter getting consistent ice time IMO. Vanny looks like he’s coming into his own so far.

Yup. Was going to post exactly this.

The "hot hand" timeshare thing can work if you have 2 guys who are driven enough to rise to the challenge. If just one of those guys is a floater who coasts on talent/potential/draft position, then you have a formula for spiraling uncertainty and inconsistency. W/L can't be the only metric for merit-based systems when dealing with such players, or else you also can indirectly reward bad behavior.

Sammy needs to earn the job at this point, imo. If he can't take it from VV based on spot starts and practice then is he really 1A material?

Sep 19, 2008
Noticed caps now have 9m in cap space after putting Backstrom on ltir. What is ltir. And when could Backstrom come back

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yup. Was going to post exactly this.

The "hot hand" timeshare thing can work if you have 2 guys who are driven enough to rise to the challenge. If just one of those guys is a floater who coasts on talent/potential/draft position, then you have a formula for spiraling uncertainty and inconsistency. W/L can't be the only metric for merit-based systems when dealing with such players, or else you also can indirectly reward bad behavior.

Sammy needs to earn the job at this point, imo. If he can't take it from VV based on spot starts and practice then is he really 1A material?

It wont take many games at this point for Samsonov to force the door open. A really good first start would do it. Where as a sloppy first start in the face of consistent work from Vanecek would have the opposite effect. Vanecek must have a chip the size of a 2 x 4 on his shoulder after being dismissed as legit over and over again.

My question is presented with a real threat to his career in Washington whether Samsonov responds with defiance or cracks under the load?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Noticed caps now have 9m in cap space after putting Backstrom on ltir. What is ltir. And when could Backstrom come back
LTIR = Long Term Injured Reserve
In order to play placed on LTIR, a player must miss 30 days or 10 games of action. While a player is on LTIR, you are allowed to exceed the salary cap by an amount equal to their salary, but cap space does not "bank" during this period (as you are still over the salary cap). Backstrom is eligible to return on November 6th or later.

Reactions: John Price

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Some context on Lapierre: he's the fourth player and third forward from the 2020 draft to score a goal. Pretty neat.

Good to give McMichael a chance and HL a look from the press box. It is ideally a short-term center need anyway, even if long-term they need at least one of the two to hit in a big way.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
So, if they trot Vitek out for the 3rd straight how long do we think it is before we start hearing rumors of Sammy wanting to go back home...?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So, if they trot Vitek out for the 3rd straight how long do we think it is before we start hearing rumors of Sammy wanting to go back home...?
This narrative about Sammy is bordering on the absurd now. VV and Sammy have shared the crease with one another for three of the past four years now, dating back to Hershey. The two of them are friends. A few starts in a row isn't going to spoil the other one.

Last edited:
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I’m against a rotation this year. I’d pencil in Vanny for a 65/35 load. Sammy needs to compete successfully for his time and we need a starter getting consistent ice time IMO. Vanny looks like he’s coming into his own so far.

that said, Avs at home or Devils on the road….not sure who I want playing where in those games….

100 games? Oh, its percentage... shit now I have to break out my calculator to figure how how many games actual Sammy will miss.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Pretty big milestone. 1,200 games. All with one team.

Tried for a solid 10 minutes trying to find who the other 7 players were that had the same utilization rates, but no luck.

Would be interesting to see what type of players they were (ie. how hard they played).

Reactions: tenken00

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Pretty big milestone. 1,200 games. All with one team.

Only seven other players in NHL history have played in at least 96% of their team's games at their respective 1,200 career game mark, and no other active player has accomplished this feat.

Remember a week ago when we thought he had a broken hip or something serious and he would miss several months? He didn't miss a shift!

Russian Machine Truly Never Breaks.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Tried for a solid 10 minutes trying to find who the other 7 players were that had the same utilization rates, but no luck.

Would be interesting to see what type of players they were (ie. how hard they played).

Do you want me to give you the answer or do you wanna keep taking stabs at it?

(It's in the link :laugh:)

Edit: Oh wait, that's not for the 96% games utilization rates lol sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: filinski77

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I wouldn't assume that Sammy is upset with a light work load. He will play v NJ if he doesnt play against Colorado. The Caps have 3 back to backs over two weeks in November. He will get to play.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
last year some here traded Sammy way before a quarter of the season

I think we can make it quicker this time!

I dont remember people here wanting to trade Samsonov. IIRC the consensus here was Vanecek was a backup level player and they had to make Samsonov work. That held up thru the Xdraft.

Jun 15, 2007
I can smell the trade request coming...

To Colorado for a 1st? That will unexpectedly become a high pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad