Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Ryan Murray at that price would’ve been nice. Ideally at the same time shipping off Schultz and Kempny.

Reactions: Kalopsia

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah. Like I said it was a weird year. But you can only use the numbers you have in front of you.

It also shows that most of the games against bad teams (Buffalo, New Jersey, Philadelphia) was front loaded and early in the season. And the rest of the games were backloaded. We were hurt at the end of last season, but we were already trending downward since we were playing those teams.

There was a little bit of a buzz against the Islanders in a very late series, but that faded away until the last 3 games (Tom Wilson + Rangers games, Boston sitting out 30 players in the final game of the season).

Actually, it was the last 5 games since there was a Philly series in between the NYR and final Boston.

And I guess I was wrong. The latter part doesn't seem that bad. There is the huge 3 game series win against Islanders. Unfortunately, the division leading losses to Pittsburgh happened right after.

DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L-OTLGOALIETOP PERFORMER
Thu, Jan 14@BuffaloW6-41-0-0SamsonovOshie
Fri, Jan 15@BuffaloW2-12-0-0VanecekVanecek
Sun, Jan 17@PittsburghL4-3 SO2-0-1SamsonovOvechkin
Tue, Jan 19@PittsburghL5-4 OT2-0-2VanecekWilson
Fri, Jan 22vsBuffaloW4-3 SO3-0-2VanecekVrana
Sun, Jan 24vsBuffaloL4-3 SO3-0-3VanecekVanecek
Tue, Jan 26vsNew YorkW3-24-0-3VanecekSchultz
Thu, Jan 28vsNew YorkW6-35-0-3VanecekCarlson
Sat, Jan 30vsBostonW4-3 OT6-0-3VanecekVanecek
Mon, Feb 1vsBostonL5-36-1-3VanecekVrana
Thu, Feb 4@New YorkL4-26-2-3VanecekOvechkin
Sun, Feb 7vsPhiladelphiaL7-46-3-3AndersonWilson
Tue, Feb 9vsPhiladelphiaPOSTPONED
Thu, Feb 11@BuffaloPOSTPONED
Sat, Feb 13@BuffaloPOSTPONED
Sun, Feb 14@PittsburghL6-36-4-3VanecekVrana
Tue, Feb 16@PittsburghW3-17-4-3VanecekVanecek
Thu, Feb 18vsBuffaloW3-18-4-3VanecekVanecek
Sat, Feb 20vsNew YorkL4-18-5-3VanecekOrlov
Sun, Feb 21vsNew JerseyW4-39-5-3AndersonOshie
Tue, Feb 23vsPittsburghL3-2 OT9-5-4VanecekVanecek
Thu, Feb 25vsPittsburghW5-210-5-4VanecekBackstrom
Sat, Feb 27@New JerseyW5-211-5-4VanecekCarlson
Sun, Feb 28@New JerseyW3-212-5-4SamsonovVrana
Wed, Mar 3@BostonW2-1 SO13-5-4VanecekVanecek
Fri, Mar 5@BostonL5-113-6-4VanecekVrana
Sun, Mar 7@PhiladelphiaW3-114-6-4SamsonovSamsonov
Tue, Mar 9vsNew JerseyW5-4 OT15-6-4VanecekVrana
Thu, Mar 11@PhiladelphiaW5-316-6-4SamsonovDowd
Sat, Mar 13@PhiladelphiaW5-417-6-4SamsonovHagelin
Mon, Mar 15@BuffaloW6-018-6-4VanecekVanecek
Tue, Mar 16vsNew YorkW3-119-6-4SamsonovSamsonov
Fri, Mar 19vsNew YorkW2-120-6-4VanecekVanecek
Sat, Mar 20vsNew YorkL3-120-7-4SamsonovBackstrom
Thu, Mar 25vsNew JerseyW4-321-7-4VanecekOvechkin
Fri, Mar 26vsNew JerseyW4-022-7-4SamsonovSamsonov
Sun, Mar 28vsNew YorkW5-423-7-4SamsonovOshie
Tue, Mar 30@New YorkL5-223-8-4VanecekDillon
Thu, Apr 1@New YorkL8-423-9-4SamsonovSprong
Fri, Apr 2@New JerseyW2-1 OT24-9-4VanecekVanecek
Sun, Apr 4@New JerseyW5-425-9-4SamsonovOvechkin
Tue, Apr 6@New YorkL1-025-10-4VanecekVanecek
Thu, Apr 8vsBostonL4-225-11-4SamsonovCarlson
Fri, Apr 9@BuffaloW4-326-11-4VanecekSchultz
Sun, Apr 11@BostonW8-127-11-4VanecekVanecek
Tue, Apr 13vsPhiladelphiaW6-128-11-4SamsonovSamsonov
Thu, Apr 15vsBuffaloL5-228-12-4VanecekOrlov
Sat, Apr 17@PhiladelphiaW6-329-12-4SamsonovOvechkin
Sun, Apr 18@BostonL6-329-13-4VanecekOshie
Thu, Apr 22@New YorkW1-0 SO30-13-4SamsonovSamsonov
Sat, Apr 24@New YorkW6-331-13-4SamsonovSprong
Tue, Apr 27vsNew YorkW1-032-13-4VanecekVanecek
Thu, Apr 29vsPittsburghL5-4 OT32-13-5VanecekOrlov
Sat, May 1vsPittsburghL3-032-14-5SamsonovMantha
Mon, May 3@New YorkW6-333-14-5VanecekHathaway
Wed, May 5@New YorkW4-234-14-5VanecekOshie
Fri, May 7vsPhiladelphiaL4-234-15-5VanecekDillon
Sat, May 8vsPhiladelphiaW2-1 OT35-15-5AndersonAnderson
Tue, May 11vsBostonW2-136-15-5VanecekVanecek
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think going out 3 times in a row in the first round is the very definition of mediocre just by that fact alone. That's literally being a treadmill team. Teams that are just good enough to make it but never good enough to go anywhere. Thereby never bad enough to get franchise changing picks and yet not good enough to win a championship. Thus continuing the cycle all over again. Maybe Laviolette can work his 2nd year magic and maybe this all changes. I hope that happens. But I can't bet money on it.

We don't have the cap space or the assets to grab truly game-breaking players. The only way we can do that without radically altering the team is to hope that the kids develop into game-breaking players. Because right now, we don't really have any game-breaking players outside of Samsonov standing on his head this year. Or maybe Mantha going off.

(Edit: I mean new game-breaking players that could alter the trajectory of the team. Of course Ovie and the others can break games themselves!)

I've said it last year in the WFT thread. Is the goal to win a championship or to make the playoffs? I don't know. To me, a championship is everything. If I had to pick between a 2nd Ovechkin Cup or 895, I would pick the Cup.

I just think you put too much value in losing in the first round. Same as I think some put too much value in that they won once. Maybe its my racing career that focuses that for me. If I am running second and challenging for a win and the guy ahead breaks a power steering line and I crash in the fluid on the track(it happened just that way) or I run over a bolt that fell off a car and cut a tire, I am not making structural changes to me team and race car. I would make structural changes if we were not keeping up and not a threat to be in the race for the win.

The Caps lost the 1st and 3rd of those first rounds on circumstances and lost the 2nd for a structural failure. They made changes to fix that failure.

Here's the other thing about racing. There are a lot of options to adjust to make the car go faster. Unless you are sure what the problem is you risk changing something that shouldn't be changed and making things worse. Anyone think that the Caps had a cup winning coach in Reirden and they needed to change the core of the team instead? No.

Either you think the injuries to the top half of the lineup hurt their playoff game significantly and the injuries will be a continued problem because of age or you believe that without that number of crucial injuries they are a competitive team. Even with the injuries and the goaltending situation they realistically could have won the first 3 games of that series. There is nothing that I saw to prove that the healthy quality of the core of the team is substandard. But you know, this is all subjective. Just remember that with a race car if you make a shock change to soften the car and find that's not what was wrong with it, you can change the shock setting back and try something else. When MacLellan removes John Carlson and finds that wasn't the trouble, he can't just get Carlson back

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah. Like I said it was a weird year. But you can only use the numbers you have in front of you.

It also shows that most of the games against bad teams (Buffalo, New Jersey, Philadelphia) was front loaded and early in the season. And the rest of the games were backloaded. We were hurt at the end of last season, but we were already trending downward since we were playing those teams.

Reminder that Philly was a playoff team on the rise coming into this season and they came out of the gates hard. Their issues hit them hard at the halfway mark where they dropped out of contention. In the first half when the Caps were lost in a new coaching system all those games against the Flyers were against a Flyers team considered a cup contender. IIRC Buffalo didnt suck early on either. Certainly nothing like they were late.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I just think you put too much value in losing in the first round. Same as I think some put too much value in that they won once. Maybe its my racing career that focuses that for me. If I am running second and challenging for a win and the guy ahead breaks a power steering line and I crash in the fluid on the track(it happened just that way) or I run over a bolt that fell off a car and cut a tire, I am not making structural changes to me team and race car. I would make structural changes if we were not keeping up and not a threat to be in the race for the win.

The Caps lost the 1st and 3rd of those first rounds on circumstances and lost the 2nd for a structural failure. They made changes to fix that failure.

Here's the other thing about racing. There are a lot of options to adjust to make the car go faster. Unless you are sure what the problem is you risk changing something that shouldn't be changed and making things worse. Anyone think that the Caps had a cup winning coach in Reirden and they needed to change the core of the team instead? No.

Either you think the injuries to the top half of the lineup hurt their playoff game significantly and the injuries will be a continued problem because of age or you believe that without that number of crucial injuries they are a competitive team. Even with the injuries and the goaltending situation they realistically could have won the first 3 games of that series. There is nothing that I saw to prove that the healthy quality of the core of the team is substandard. But you know, this is all subjective. Just remember that with a race car if make a shock change to soften the car and find that's not what was wrong with it, you can change the shock setting back and try something else. When MacLellan removes John Carlson and finds that wasn't the trouble, he can't just get Carlson back

I think you said you did F1 racing. If you placed in the bottom of the standings 3 years in a row, due to circumstances or structural failure or anything, would you think you are close to winning with the exact same car and exact same driver the next year?

It's not 3 races in a row. It's 3 years in a row.

3 races would be the equivalent to Game 3, Game 4, Game 5 against the Bruins.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fail

Rob%20Bodle%20track%20front.jpg

search

Reactions: tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think you said you did F1 racing. If you placed in the bottom of the standings 3 years in a row, due to circumstances or structural failure or anything, would you think you are close to winning with the exact same car and exact same driver the next year?

It's not 3 races in a row. It's 3 years in a row.

3 races would be the equivalent to Game 3, Game 4, Game 5 against the Bruins.

God no. F1 is no fun and is WAY over my head. I did American sports car racing. Mustangs in my case.

Here is the disconnect. You just said it. You see a division championship and a first round out as finishing in the bottom of the standings. I see it as running competitively in the top 5 and having an event keep you from winning. I said that if my team couldnt keep up and wasnt in the race for the win, i would make changes.

You see the first round failure as no different than making it in the playoffs on the last day with a crappy 8th seed and getting bounced right away. I see it the other way. The team is in a position to win every season.

Thats the part that frustrates you. Save for the Adam Oates seasons the Bruce thru Lavy Caps teams had a legit chance to win a cup every season and have only 1 once. Joel Ward was one of the great playoff performers, yet he is the guy with the high sticking penalty that lost that game to the Rangers and killed them Trotz first season. They tried Justin Williams and that failed. Was it Williams? Was Devo really better? Of course not.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
God no. F1 is no fun and is WAY over my head. I did American sports car racing. Mustangs in my case.

Here is the disconnect. You just said it. You see a division championship and a first round out as finishing in the bottom of the standings. I see it as running competitively in the top 5 and having an event keep you from winning. I said that if my team couldnt keep up and wasnt in the race for the win, i would make changes.

You see the first round failure as no different than making it in the playoffs on the last day with a crappy 8th seed and getting bounced right away. I see it the other way. The team is in a position to win every season.

Thats the part that frustrates you. Save for the Adam Oates seasons the Bruce thru Lavy Caps teams had a legit chance to win a cup every season and have only 1 once. Joel Ward was one of the great playoff performers, yet he is the guy with the high sticking penalty that lost that game to the Rangers and killed them Trotz first season. They tried Justin Williams and that failed. Was it Williams? Was Devo really better? Of course not.

Of course every frustration was built up. But 2018 really did wash away everything that happened before away. Now everything afterwards is all anew.

I wish the Caps were only a bolt that fell off the car away. Or a Joel Ward high stick penalty away. That would mean we were in Game 7. A 1st round Game 7, but still Game 7.

We can't even make it past 1 win in a series.

That's the frustration. We can't even point to something and say, "You know if this happened or the puck just bounced this way instead, we would have 100% won the series."

I wouldn't mind keeping it going. But at least show that you are getting somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
IMO all they can do is field the best team they can, and hope for success beyond that.

If they were a crap regular season team, we would be having a different conversation.

I think we all agree on this. It's just how we're going to go about it that we disagree with. And while I respect @txpd's opinion, I just would rather go with 22 year old Alexeyev than 45 year old Chara. Or at least settle him in sometime this season. I would rather not try to exactly replicate last year's team

Reactions: fniss and Corby78

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think we all agree on this. It's just how we're going to go about it that we disagree with. And while I respect @txpd's opinion, I just would rather go with 22 year old Alexeyev than 45 year old Chara. Or at least settle him in sometime this season. I would rather not try to exactly replicate last year's team

throwing a 22 yr old into a position where he must play great to not derail the team goals is a tough path. If he was a young Victor Hedman or otherwise super special, we would have seen him press for NHL roster time already, he needs his finishing, but super close IMO. They added a very respectable Chara to a roster with some key guys who had a high No Fks given aura about them.

The roster is almost never the same, so that won’t be a problem.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
throwing a 22 yr old into a position where he must play great to not derail the team goals is a tough path. If he was a young Victor Hedman or otherwise super special, we would have seen him press for NHL roster time already, he needs his finishing, but super close IMO. They added a very respectable Chara to a roster with some key guys who had a high No Fks given aura about them.

The roster is almost never the same, so that won’t be a problem.

The thing is Alexeyev *may* be a solution. Or part of the solution eventually.

45 year old Chara is not. Not eventually. Not now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Dillon is out. Fehervary is in. There are only 6 playing at a time. So, its already changed in a significant way. If they change Kempny for Chara, there is another significant change in the makeup of the group. How much more do they need to do so to not replicate last season's roster?

If my guess is that they are not keeping a 7th d on the daily roster and will plug Alexeyev in whenever there is an injury hole, the one of the right defense are going out before the season starts. I would expect that to be Jensen or Schultz. If that happens, then the standard 6 starting defensemen has been changed by half and the amount of physical capability reduced significantly. If Schultz is out and TvR in, then the offensive capability has been reduced too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The thing is Alexeyev *may* be a solution. Or part of the solution eventually.

45 year old Chara is not. Not eventually. Not now.

When you need to win the game tonight, regular or playoffs, you need to win now. Not eventually. Char is about now. You think Alexeyev is a better player now than Chara still is? Can Alexeyev do anything that Chara does well? Is there anyone else on the roster than can do what Chara does well? Is there anyone else that can do what Alexeyev does best?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Just on the surface at least, Peca was the taxi squad coach and there wont be anymore taxi squad to coach.
Peca was also working with the centerman on face offs and believe he helped to improve Dowd quite a bit in that skill.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Fehervary fills the Chara vacancy on the roster
Kempny fills the Dillon vacancy on the roster

Remains to be seen the pairings and who will be the 7th dman. I would expect they'll delay AA's arrival until after the TDL. This way you're not working with two rookies along the blue line right away. Besides AA gets more time at Hershey and developing. At TDL I see the Caps moving Schultz and Kempny, so that's the time AA will be brought up along with another dman from Hershey.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Peca was also working with the centerman on face offs and believe he helped to improve Dowd quite a bit in that skill.

Thats quite true but his budget line was as the taxi squad coach. For him to stay they would have had to replace one of the current asst coaches. Lavy didn't want to do that. No question about the value of the face off instruction. MacLellan needs to convince Lavy that having Dale Hunter down a couple times a season to work with the centers has worked for a very long time.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
When you need to win the game tonight, regular or playoffs, you need to win now. Not eventually. Char is about now. You think Alexeyev is a better player now than Chara still is? Can Alexeyev do anything that Chara does well? Is there anyone else on the roster than can do what Chara does well? Is there anyone else that can do what Alexeyev does best?

I would much rather have a 22 year old Alexeyev with a year of NHL experience under his belt as my 6D than a 45 year old Chara who’s just slogged through a compressed 82 game schedule. No way does Chara have anything left in the tank come April if he’s a regular this season. Alexeyev’s a gamble, but I’ll take a gamble over a guy I know is washed.

That said, I think the Caps are gonna roll the dice with Kempny rather than playing Alexeyev or bringing back Chara.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You think Alexeyev is a better player now than Chara still is?
Yes.

Chara was mediocre last year in the regular season, ate a bunch of PK minutes (but gave up a bunch of goals against while doing so), and was downright bad in the playoffs. Time to let our young D step up and eat some PK minutes instead of sheltering them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fehervary fills the Chara vacancy on the roster
Kempny fills the Dillon vacancy on the roster

Remains to be seen the pairings and who will be the 7th dman. I would expect they'll delay AA's arrival until after the TDL. This way you're not working with two rookies along the blue line right away. Besides AA gets more time at Hershey and developing. At TDL I see the Caps moving Schultz and Kempny, so that's the time AA will be brought up along with another dman from Hershey.

For that to happen, feels like they would have to suck all year.

Secondarily, I’m not convinced they’ll be here on opening night much less at the trade deadline.

Reactions: Calicaps

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010

That was the whole point I was trying to make the past few pages. I don't know if we are winning it all this year with either Chara or Alexeyev. But I would feel better losing with Alexeyev than Chara. Need to at least start the movement towards youth.

As for your question: Alexeyev. Because it won't be right now Alexeyev vs right now Chara.

It will be end of season Alexeyev vs end of season Chara.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That was the whole point I was trying to make the past few pages. I don't know if we are winning it all this year with either Chara or Alexeyev. But I would feel better losing with Alexeyev than Chara. Need to at least start the movement towards youth.

As for your question: Alexeyev. Because it won't be right now Alexeyev vs right now Chara.

It will be end of season Alexeyev vs end of season Chara.

All AA has to do is win a job. Chara isn’t being gifted anything.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad