Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He has always shown good skill in unloading problem contracts. I liked Dillon and think the team will be easier to play against with him gone, but the cap relief over 3 years plus the strong return makes this deal a no-brainer. Because Schultz has just one more year, he can be moved at the TDL, if needed too.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
He has always shown good skill in unloading problem contracts. I liked Dillon and think the team will be easier to play against with him gone, but the cap relief over 3 years plus the strong return makes this deal a no-brainer. Because Schultz has just one more year, he can be moved at the TDL, if needed too.
Not in unloading Panik, he didn't. Cost Caps about the same to dump Panik as they just got back for Dillon.

Reactions: Misery74

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If.. if.. we can move Schultz without giving anything up or taking cap back, that will be a big win.

• Spot opens up for TvR.
  • Don't lose any of our own picks while gaining a pick or picks in a deep draft.
  • $7.9 million extra in cap space (from Dillon and Schultz together) for Ovie, Sammy, another goalie and another FA or two
  • Coupled with the $9M we already have currently (after bringing up Fehervary) and possibly $2.5 more with a possible Kempny LTIR.. should be more than enough space

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I don’t see how we don’t end up with Holtby again

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Hard to believe they would dump Schultz as long as Laviolette is in charge. He was the guy he wanted year ago. It would be great if they could but atleast he only has a year left on his contract. If the wheels come off they could move him at the TDL with some of his salary retained.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
If.. if.. we can move Schultz without giving anything up or taking cap back, that will be a big win.

• Spot opens up for TvR.
  • Don't lose any of our own picks while gaining a pick or picks in a deep draft.
  • $7.9 million extra in cap space (from Dillon and Schultz together) for Ovie, Sammy, another goalie and another FA or two
  • Coupled with the $9M we already have currently (after bringing up Fehervary) and possibly $2.5 more with a possible Kempny LTIR.. should be more than enough space

I really think if the Caps trade Schultz they'll get positive value back. There's gotta be teams out there who'll want a PP QB on an expiring contract. Buffalo could use him to take Risto's minutes on the PP and then flip him at the deadline. Carolina has an opening with Dougie leaving. Edmonton could lose Barrie. Montreal's losing Weber for at least the year. Nashville needs to replace Ellis. Ottawa has nobody on the right side who can move the puck, and the same goes for Seattle, Toronto, and Vancouver. There's a lot of teams that should be looking for a righty defenseman who can run a power play, and the only UFA options are Hamilton and Barrie who'll both end up being way more expensive than Schultz. Nobody else on the free agent market even hit 20 points last season. I'd be shocked if the Caps have to pay to find a taker.

The question for me is does MacClellan want to move him, or is he gonna be happy just running back the same roster with Fehervary, Kempny, and Fucale (or whatever ~1M goalie) in place of Dillon, Chara, and Vanecek? If Ovi gets 10M and Samsonov gets 1.5M, then that roster fits under the cap by about 600K (albeit with TVR as the only scratch). I hope we see Schultz and Kempny moved to free up room to make improvements, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Dillon trade was the only significant move this offseason.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Damn, woke up ready to start a long and fruitless debate with twabby about overusing advanced stats and all, but after seeing Dillon gone im too distracted to go there. :)

well, atleast the adv guys are getting what they want. Im sad to see Dillon go. Our D looks very soft after the departure of both Chara and Dillon. I hope BM has more to come.

return was good though, even if i have been consistantly telling how little i care about draft picks at the moment.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Damn, woke up ready to start a long and fruitless debate with twabby about overusing advanced stats and all, but after seeing Dillon gone im too distracted to go there. :)

well, atleast the adv guys are getting what they want. Im sad to see Dillon go. Our D looks very soft after the departure of both Chara and Dillon. I hope BM has more to come.

return was good though, even if i have been consistantly telling how little i care about draft picks at the moment.

The Caps haven’t entirely closed the door on Chara yet.

Swapping Dillon for Kempny saves us about $1.4m this year, for a guy that GMBM says is both healthy and cleared to play. We’ll see what happens, but if Kempny can still skate you’d figure he stands a good chance of regaining his form. The Caps and Laviolette saw him in practice for weeks leading up to the playoffs, and the injury that kept him out of the playoffs was relatively minor, so his readiness shouldn’t be a mystery to the Caps.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
On another note, I’d love if GMBM quietly got Dowd extended for another year or two, anything up to $1.2m AAV. He’s been such a useful player, and would continue to be even if he ended up as a 13F.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Schultz is prob worth a 1st at the deadline, how much do we want cap space?

Id figure if Schultz plays like he is worth a 1st at TDL, we should propably keep him for the playoff run..

Right now its not about how much we want, but how much we need.

12,8 m on the clock. Need to sign Ovie, 2 goalies and maybe an extra F and/or D.

Sammy gets 2,5-3 id figure. So lets wait for the Ovie release. If its 10m then that leaves around -200k for the 2-3 missing pieces..

Schultz might still be the next guy out, and im not expecting a 1st in return. Maybe a hockey trade for a grittier veteran LD with less salary might make sense.

Im still feeling a move out from the RD. TvR wasnt protected to sit in the press. And Jensen/Schultz are a waste to sit with their cap hits.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Not in unloading Panik, he didn't. Cost Caps about the same to dump Panik as they just got back for Dillon.
Context related to the timing in the season matters. At that moment we needed that space to fit Mantha, DET knew that and the TDL was expiring

My number 1 pet peeve about HFboards is when people compare trade values from the TDL to off season, apples and oranges

Reactions: Eirikrautha

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If the FO is shipping out all the "stay at home" guys and going with Lavi's preferred PMD back pairings then they must have at least a little more speed and skill up front. You can't have a soft defense that seeks to capitalize on stick/puck play, but older and slower forwards that require backstopping and can't take advantage of the transition game.

Reactions: Roshi

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Gotta keep it moving. If that requires using one or two of those second rounders to dump more salary so be it. I can't see this being it for them and just signing Ovechkin, Samsonov, promoting Fehervary, bringing back Chara on the cheap and then adding a Reimer and maybe a league minimum signing or two for depth. But we'll see. They're going to need a more serious yet cheaper Dillon replacement. McCabe & Murray are intriguing relatively younger LD that could provide a lot of value. Maybe Kulikov as a stopgap or Edler if he's willing to take a big discount. They need capable fresh blood and better safeguards in case Fehervary & Samsonov aren't ready to take over pronounced roles. It would be nice to hold on to those two second rounders to use as assets for the right, mainly younger and quicker, trade targets as they materialize over the next year or two. But opening up more cap space for the right targets in free agency probably needs to happen today. Even in a worst case scenario of no fits lining up and settling for cheaper stopgaps having leftover cap space to bank would be a welcome departure. It would allow them to potentially get a look at some Hershey options if need be throughout the season but mostly I'm all for paring down the roster to the absolute essentials. The flat cap in a way forces teams to be more frugal, disciplined and self-sustaining. That's the reality to come over perhaps an additional two to three seasons and the very best franchises will be out ahead on that.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
If there are better/cheaper fits out there I wouldn't be mad at Schultz/Hagelin being moved as well.

I guess moving Schultz would mean our PP would be toast if JC got injured, but value for defencemen is crazy high right now, if we can take advantage it wouldn't be a bad thing to start restacking the empty cupboards a bit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad