Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I’ve always thought Schmidt was over rated. I like Orlov better (homer bias I’m sure), so the fact that’s Orlov is 800k cheaper is a bonus.

That said — I think it’s a fallacy that we can trade Orlov for a ransom, and yet Schmidt will be dealt for peanuts. I’d wager their returns would be the same. More or less
Schmidt is almost definitely going for peanuts (relatively speaking at least) though due to LV’s need to clear cap.

I like Orlov a lot too and I would argue that he’s the teams best overall defensemen now that Carlson’s defensive play has fallen off a cliff. He’s also sneaky skilled and very solid defensively, even if he has the occasional brain fart. But I’m not so sure he’s better than Schmidt.

I just thought it was interesting throwing out the idea of Schmidt coming back and Orlov being traded, as Tarik mentioned earlier in the offseason that he wouldn’t be surprised if there was a trade that nobody saw coming and he left Orlov’s name off the list of untouchables. With Schmidt now available, I don’t think they could ask for a better replacement for Orlov if BMac was in fact curious about moving him.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nate Schmidt is a pretty solid top 4 offensive defenseman. VGKs problem isn't Schmidt or any of the defense really, it's their forwards not finishing. Seriously, they could not bury a goal at all these past playoffs. They need scorers

I like Nate the player....do not disagree he’s “solid”.....

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
in stats alone.....you won’t win a Cup with him defending your crease when it matters. Until he proves me wrong.....I stand by my warm take. ;)
Vegas’ problems weren’t defensive, they can’t finish. That’s like blaming Carlson for the Caps not winning a cup before 2018, when it was really due to lack of depth scoring.

That’s fine if you don’t think he’s a top pairing guy on a Cup winner, but I don’t see how anyone could argue he’s not a top pairing caliber defender worth his contract. He’s really good.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Man I would love to have Nate back I would almost trade Oshie for him

Would dumping one of Panik/Hags/Eller and Jensen be enough cap space for Nate?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Vegas’ problems weren’t defensive, they can’t finish. That’s like blaming Carlson for the Caps not winning a cup before 2018, when it was really due to lack of depth scoring.

That’s fine if you don’t think he’s a top pairing guy on a Cup winner, but I don’t see how anyone could argue he’s not a top pairing caliber defender worth his contract. He’s really good.

listen, when I say “defending the crease”.....I mean with him playing defenseman for your team in crunch time to win a Cup. Could be in any zone.

I like the player, but it’s why I wasn’t heartbroken when he was selected.....I never thought he was more than a 4b/5 on a Cup winner.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Man I would love to have Nate back I would almost trade Oshie for him

Would dumping one of Panik/Hags/Eller and Jensen be enough cap space for Nate?
Negative. Schmidt and 700k replacement would be 6.6m. Would need to get rid of Jensen and 2 more of Panik/Hags/Eller. And I don’t think you can trade Eller without a legit 3C in the system. Dowd moves up? Yikes.

so Jensen, Hags, Panik = 8m.

Schmidt and 2 min replacement players = 7.3m

the Caps are around 700k over the cap w a full roster. So that would work. But the 3rd line would be decimated (unless Sprong and McMichael can both play and stick)

Would have to look something like this (and the PK would be ravaged)

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
McMichael - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller - Sprong
700k Vet F - Dowd - Hathaway
700k Vet F

Schmidt - Carlson
Orlov - Schultz
Dillon - TVR
700k Vet D

Samsonov
Lundqvist

I dunno. Defense has really good pieces. Offense looks sketchy.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I will never understand the Schmidt obsession around here. He's a solid 3-4 D on a contender but he's not exactly the second coming of Chris Pronger.
I don’t think anyone is making the case he’s Chris Pronger around here, so we’re all in agreement there.

He’s a good player who I wouldn’t mind having back if we hadn’t signed Schultz and Dillon. But that’s not happening. He’s a good pickup for whoever gets him, especially if it’s on the cheap due to Vegas trying to offload salary

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don’t think anyone is making the case he’s Chris Pronger around here, so we’re all in agreement there.

He’s a good player who I wouldn’t mind having back if we hadn’t signed Schultz and Dillon. But that’s not happening. He’s a good pickup for whoever gets him, especially if it’s on the cheap due to Vegas trying to offload salary
At close to $6M a year for half a decade, it's not on the cheap no matter the asking price. I know most here are disappointed in the Schultz signing, especially, but he and Dillon are both signed for just $2M more than that and for less term. Schmidt's just not worth his contract.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I guess Schultz is ok. Main gripe is that if we just held out a little longer, we probably could have gotten Schultz or another equivalent defenseman at bargain bin prices right now. Everything is like 50% - 80% off on sale right now.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Perhaps there was a bidding war for Schultz and BM did what he had to do

I think it's clear Washington wasn't negotiating in a vacuum - their opening offer wouldn't have been what it was. I also think it's obvious that Laviolette was involved with picking players to target, so he's on-board for Schultz.

Now, would I be happy with the Caps never having another defenseman named Schultz? Probably. But the Caps don't pony up the contract unless they have to in order to get the player on-board.

Also of slight note, LeBrun says the Caps talked to Ryan Miller, too. I'd have been fine with his signing, but I've always been a fan of Miller's game.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think it's clear Washington wasn't negotiating in a vacuum - their opening offer wouldn't have been what it was. I also think it's obvious that Laviolette was involved with picking players to target, so he's on-board for Schultz.

Now, would I be happy with the Caps never having another defenseman named Schultz? Probably. But the Caps don't pony up the contract unless they have to in order to get the player on-board.

Also of slight note, LeBrun says the Caps talked to Ryan Miller, too. I'd have been fine with his signing, but I've always been a fan of Miller's game.

That's what I've been thinking (and posted) but I tend to think too much and waffle a lot. Like an Eggo. Am I a waffle or am I plastic? Take a bite and find out!

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I cannot be the only one absolutely baffled at the consistent under appreciation of Orlov by our fan base. He should absolutely be untouchable and there’s absolutely no way he’s exposed at the ED. We have an all-situations, top-pairing defender on a value contract playing on our second pairing and he’s more than happy. Some of y’all are unreal. Appreciate the luxury. We’d be lucky if AA or MF are half the player Orlov is.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
I cannot be the only one absolutely baffled at the consistent under appreciation of Orlov by our fan base. He should absolutely be untouchable and there’s absolutely no way he’s exposed at the ED. We have an all-situations, top-pairing defender on a value contract playing on our second pairing and he’s more than happy. Some of y’all are unreal. Appreciate the luxury. We’d be lucky if AA or MF are half the player Orlov is.

People are insane. Both here and Reddit, fans consistently dump on the dude. He is a solid player on a great contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad