Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Pure speculation tx. I mean, it makes sense sure. But it's silly for you to use it in a statement of fact like that
It's not really. Mac said they talked about what they wanted and that Schultz fit the bill. Add to that the fact that he moved quickly and paid top dollar and it all seems very deliberate.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Shattenkirk got $3.9 no? I would have taken that over Schultz. Brodie is an excellent dman as well. So yeah I’d definitely take those two guys over Schultz lol

oh for petes sake, you all are so wishy washy on players. when he was with the rangers, you all were like hallelujah the caps didnt sign him and now your wanting to throw huge money at him?

it would be at least 4.2 mil or higher to have signed shattenkirk

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Schmidt goes for a third to Vancouver.

A division rival. Which means Vegas probably would've given him to us for that much.

Would you rather have Dillon and Schultz or Schmidt and 2m in cap space?
Well it doesn’t really work like that. Dillon and Schultz signed before UFA and the first day of free agency. Pietrangelo didn’t make up his mind then which means Vegas doesn’t have to trade Schmidt. Dillon and Schultz likely sign deals somewhere else so there’s a good chance we lose out on two top 4 D.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
link? For the uninformed....

Despite the team being very close against the cap ceiling, MacLellen elected to gamble most of the team's remaining cap space on Schultz, a puck-moving defenseman who he believes will fit nicely into new head coach Peter Laviolette's system.
"We really like his offensive potential, his ability to join the rush, ability to quarterback a power play," MacLellan said. "I think [Peter Laviolette's] teams activate defense aggressively, so we were trying to find a guy that fit that bill for him.

The Capitals see Justin Schultz in a top-four role

laviollete told bmac what his system entails and what type of player he needs and bmac went out and got him. i firmly believe that if laviollete asked for a defensive defender then they would have signed someone else

Reactions: Rayquaza64

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Well it doesn’t really work like that. Dillon and Schultz signed before UFA and the first day of free agency. Pietrangelo didn’t make up his mind then which means Vegas doesn’t have to trade Schmidt. Dillon and Schultz likely sign deals somewhere else so there’s a good chance we lose out on two top 4 D.

and then everyone complains that gmbm does nothing and he is wasting ovie prime years

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty poor offseason for BMac
If we're doing early evaluations, though, no one in the East has gotten any stronger. No one that was already good anyway. We'll see what happens after Tampa Bay clears out some players and MacLellan also more than likely isn't done.

The Rangers and Canadiens have improved the most among the bubble teams but I'm not sure any playoff teams in the East have gotten any better. Pittsburgh may have improved by virtue of addition by subtraction but I'm not sure it makes them legit strong. Again, it's early. The Schultz contract was definitely inflated but it's fair to say they paid him based off of what they hope he can be. Laviolette then could perhaps be the marquee addition among Eastern playoff teams to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad