Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That's one of the only ways this makes sense though. The post you quoted didn't even mention the defenseman replacing him, it said that you're not likely to get a player of Orlov's value back for him period. Who are you trading him for? What do you honestly expect to get?

You're not replacing him with a better FA defenseman for that dollar value based on the way that's worked in the past, although maybe the flat cap changes how teams spend, and trading for his replacement requires, well, assets. Only "smart" way to do it is to get the assets in the Orlov trade, but again... why? It's straight out of Jim Rutherford's General Managing Handbook, except Orlov's not actually a mistake that needs correcting.

It just doesn't make any sense. If you want to win a Cup the way you say you do you should be treating these two years of Orlov as a way to keep the window open, not figuring out how to swap him out for something else.

If I’m replacing any main piece, like an Orlov it isn’t restricted by “dollar value ratio” and some false sense of needing to not lose a bargain player for a few years before he becomes too expensive to re-sign, it’s based upon getting a stronger player in a key position at the time of the trade to carry you over the line. That’s going to cost more, yes, but you CAN improve with a more expensive and/or more talented player that’s also a good or better fit. Vegas just signed a workhorse D upgrade and look who’s getting pushed out (likely). Would be no different.

I happen to think there are a decent amount of defenders in the league on par or more talented than Orlov that they could acquire through one way or another, and upgrade their top pair with Carlson. I’m getting to the point where I think Carlson needs a partner that can carry the pair in all facets when he doesn’t. I don’t happen to think that guy is Orlov. I also think Orlov needs more of a stud like Nisky was to bring out his best. Looks like they’re trying lots of options this year, so we’ll see.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think the Capitals underuse Orlov to the point that they dont get close to the value his cap hit brings. To describe him as an all situations top pair defenseman would indicate that he is pp1 and pk1. That he is on the ice in primary offensive and defensive situations. He gets marginal pp time when Carlson is finished and he nearly never kills a penalty. He is primarily an even strenth player. On a team that could use his pp skills and his offensive talent, he would be a TOI team leader, but that will never happen as long as he plays for the Capitals.

The only reason to trade him would be to acquire the return a legit 1d would bring and find a defenseman that is a better fit for the role they have Orlov in right now.

this....the player is a bargain here......but would likely be a massive bargain for some other teams who are willing to pony up the $7 mil+ per he’s going to want at age 31 to resign for.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why should he not be untouchable? No trade made involving him will net us a player near his value to us. Teams with top-pairing defenders on value contracts rarely trade them. Orlov is a core player IMO and I believe BMac would move Kuzy/Vrana before thinking of moving Orlov.

Also, in numerous interviews, he has mentioned how happy he is in DC, with the continuity and playing top-four minutes. He was renting an expensive apartment for years and he was so happy to be able to finally buy a house and settle his roots down here with his wife and newborn. He has also mentioned numerous times how much he loves the org., core, and wants to play his entire career here.

Edit: I want more guys like Orlov on my team. Paid his dues, works his ass off, loves the org. and team, and has developed nicely.

The Capitals have been using Orlov as a shutdown matchup defenseman. His usage on the Caps has him out of position. If they used Dillon to play Carlson's minutes, it would be a similar situation.

The way the Caps have used Orlov a quality 3-4 defensive defenseman could replace his minutes. Martin Fehervary after he gets enough games is just the kind of player they want in that role. I dont think there is any realistic chance that the Caps trade him.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
To the peeps who keep suggesting they trade Orlov:
200.gif

Jun 15, 2007
Schmidt goes for a third to Vancouver.

A division rival. Which means Vegas probably would've given him to us for that much.

Would you rather have Dillon and Schultz or Schmidt and 2m in cap space?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
perhaps you would rather have the caps pay more then 4 mil for kevin shattenkirk or tj brodie
Shattenkirk got 3.9 and I am very much not a fan of his.

TJ Brodie is significantly better than Justin Schultz, and he's only getting paid $1M more. Seems like you're not really understanding my very simple point here

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I think overall BMac has done a great job this off season. I will reserve judgement on Schultz until I see him play a large sample of games here. Lavi must have wanted him so I trust it.

The only part of the line up that is still iffy to me is the bottom 6.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad