Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Schmidt has a $5.95 million cap hit for 5 more seasons. He isn’t joining this team unless we offload a bunch of salary or Vegas heavily retains on him
I would take Schmidt over any combination of two of Kempny (I know, LTIR), Jensen, Hagelin, Panik, etc. - essentially our redundant, deadweight - & roll with Beck on line four to save cap if we have to.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I would take Schmidt over any combination of two of Kempny (I know, LTIR), Jensen, Hagelin, Panik, etc. - essentially our redundant, deadweight - & roll with Beck on line four to save cap if we have to.
It would be a waste of cap space IMO. Our LD is our strong point already. It would only make sense if they hadn’t signed Dillon. We would have to deplete our bottom 6 and hope the kids can add some necessary secondary scoring. We have plenty of D now to roll out a more than capable D core next season

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I cannot be the only one absolutely baffled at the consistent under appreciation of Orlov by our fan base. He should absolutely be untouchable and there’s absolutely no way he’s exposed at the ED. We have an all-situations, top-pairing defender on a value contract playing on our second pairing and he’s more than happy. Some of y’all are unreal. Appreciate the luxury. We’d be lucky if AA or MF are half the player Orlov is.
I'm the biggest Orlov hater here and I think its crazy to get rid of Orlov right now. It really depends on who your replacing him with. But here is where we differ. Orlov a top pairing defenseman depending on who his partner is. Notice that when Orlov is playing with someone like a Dillon or a Niskanen, Carlson is on the 2nd line with the weeker defender. Carlson is the better player and leader.

As for him being being better AA in the future, no way.

I'm calling it right now, Orlov is leaving in free agency. We paid a lot of money to keep him when he was still unproven, and i don't know we can give him what he wants for the player he is now. I think these upcoming years with PL will be an interesting test for Orlov. If he shines in PL's system, then he proves he is worth the pay raise. If not, we might be forced to make a tough decision.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I wonder if Dadonov would consider a cheap 1 year deal to play with Kuzy. Thats if we trade someone.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Negative. Schmidt and 700k replacement would be 6.6m. Would need to get rid of Jensen and 2 more of Panik/Hags/Eller. And I don’t think you can trade Eller without a legit 3C in the system. Dowd moves up? Yikes.

so Jensen, Hags, Panik = 8m.

Schmidt and 2 min replacement players = 7.3m

the Caps are around 700k over the cap w a full roster. So that would work. But the 3rd line would be decimated (unless Sprong and McMichael can both play and stick)

Would have to look something like this (and the PK would be ravaged)

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
McMichael - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller - Sprong
700k Vet F - Dowd - Hathaway
700k Vet F

Schmidt - Carlson
Orlov - Schultz
Dillon - TVR
700k Vet D

Samsonov
Lundqvist

I dunno. Defense has really good pieces. Offense looks sketchy.
I think we win a cup with that defense.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I wonder if Dadonov would consider a cheap 1 year deal to play with Kuzy. Thats if we trade someone.
Was thinking the same a few days ago. Dadonov as the 2RW with Oshie dropping to the third line to improve that line. Of course it would require the departure of Panik or Hagelin at the very least.

Ovie-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Kuzy-Dadonov
?-Eller-Oshie

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I cannot be the only one absolutely baffled at the consistent under appreciation of Orlov by our fan base. He should absolutely be untouchable and there’s absolutely no way he’s exposed at the ED. We have an all-situations, top-pairing defender on a value contract playing on our second pairing and he’s more than happy. Some of y’all are unreal. Appreciate the luxury. We’d be lucky if AA or MF are half the player Orlov is.

this I agree with, the rest is opinion.

Zero chance Orlov is or should be untouchable.

his desire to go be a top pair 1pp guy, earning himself a bigger contract next time around, is unknown....just like his happinesses you’re mentioning.

It’s probably fair to say he isn’t unhappy but as this contract gets closer to ending, he may want more on a personal level, who knows?

As PB12 said, you get Orlov the right partner and he’s absolutely a 1st pair player IMO. I’d like to think the team ponying up good value to acquire Orlov would be doing so with that pairing idea in mind. Orlov slides into that role and dedicated 1pp duty and he’s getting paid bank on his next deal.

But we need a replacement also obviously. I’m hoping 1 year of Fever growing pains is enough when that time comes.

Last edited:

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Orlov's future here basicslly is dependant on the growth of AA. I personally think it would be pretty nice to keep both but idk if the cap would allow that

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
this I agree with, the rest is opinion.

Zero chance Orlov is or should be untouchable.

his desire to go be a top pair 1pp guy, earning himself a bigger contract next time around, is unknown....just like his happinesses you’re mentioning.

It’s probably fair to say he isn’t unhappy but as this contract gets closer to ending, he may want more on a personal level, who knows?

As PB12 said, you get Orlov the right partner and he’s absolutely a 1st pair player IMO. I’d like to think the team ponying up good value to acquire Orlov would be doing so with that pairing idea in mind. Orlov slides into that role and dedicated 1pp duty and he’s getting paid bank on his next deal.

But we need a replacement also obviously. I’m hoping 1 year of Fever growing pains is enough when that time comes.

Why should he not be untouchable? No trade made involving him will net us a player near his value to us. Teams with top-pairing defenders on value contracts rarely trade them. Orlov is a core player IMO and I believe BMac would move Kuzy/Vrana before thinking of moving Orlov.

Also, in numerous interviews, he has mentioned how happy he is in DC, with the continuity and playing top-four minutes. He was renting an expensive apartment for years and he was so happy to be able to finally buy a house and settle his roots down here with his wife and newborn. He has also mentioned numerous times how much he loves the org., core, and wants to play his entire career here.

Edit: I want more guys like Orlov on my team. Paid his dues, works his ass off, loves the org. and team, and has developed nicely.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Interesting.

Attachments

• EYKnUmQXkAYsoX2.png
    EYKnUmQXkAYsoX2.png
    758 KB · Views: 10

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Why should he not be untouchable? No trade made involving him will net us a player near his value to us. Teams with top-pairing defenders on value contracts rarely trade them. Orlov is a core player IMO and I believe BMac would move Kuzy/Vrana before thinking of moving Orlov.

Also, in numerous interviews, he has mentioned how happy he is in DC, with the continuity and playing top-four minutes. He was renting an expensive apartment for years and he was so happy to be able to finally buy a house and settle his roots down here with his wife and newborn. He has also mentioned numerous times how much he loves the org., core, and wants to play his entire career here.

Edit: I want more guys like Orlov on my team. Paid his dues, works his ass off, loves the org. and team, and has developed nicely.

A trade involving Orlov doesn’t necessarily need to involve a better replacement coming back in that deal. That can be accomplished through subsequent moves, should an internal option not be available. Trade or FA move.

What professional athlete on a longterm deal doesn’t buy a place? Not many. He’s happy in his interviews as are most players in fluff pieces like that.

like I said....I’m sure he’s not unhappy. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t have personal aspirations to grow as a player, where he’s knows he’s road-blocked here from realizing his potential and maybe garnering a bigger contract when the time comes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone who wants to move Orlov is not thinking clearly.

I want to improve and win a Cup.....if an Orlov move is part of that recipe.....hell, anyone not #8 and I’d move them to do that. I think it makes more sense to move him next summer myself if they go that route.

Orlov is only making 3.3 per in real money his last 2 years. If he’s not looking to get paid big, I’ll be shocked.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I want to improve and win a Cup.....if an Orlov move is part of that recipe.....hell, anyone not #8 and I’d move them to do that. I think it makes more sense to move him next summer myself if they go that route.

Orlov is only making 3.3 per in real money his last 2 years. If he’s not looking to get paid big, I’ll be shocked.
How does moving one of your best players, one outperforming his current contract, get you closer to a Cup? If you're in win-now mode why are you selling a year of Orlov for futures and trying to sign someone just to replace him? It makes no sense, it's not a winning move.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Damn Toews traded to Colorado for two 2nds. Very weak return for the Islanders and great move for Sakic and the Avs. I know they’re in a cap crunch but sheesh... no way NYI would’ve traded him here but he’s really solid.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How does moving one of your best players, one outperforming his current contract, get you closer to a Cup? If you're in win-now mode why are you selling a year of Orlov for futures and trying to sign someone just to replace him? It makes no sense, it's not a winning move.

short sighted.....never said that.

Orlov can be improved upon believe it or not....he’s good, he’s not Nick Lidstrom. Sometimes it’s about the right mix of players, and that mix can change.

As for “win-now” mode, I’d give this D Corp one try before I’m retooling again trying to get the right mix. That’s how I see the next 5 years playing out....constant retooling chasing one more and that might mean some bigger names moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Orlov can be improved upon believe it or not....he’s good, he’s not Nick Lidstrom. Sometimes it’s about the right mix of players, and that mix can change.
My mindset is:
Never trade away a Top-4 D
top defensemen don't grow on trees and making trades for them ain't easy; I can count the # of Lidstroms since Lidstrom on less than 1 finger, there's maybe 15 studs on D in the whole league and I'm not sure if I count Carlson as one of them, let alone Orlov

Nisky/Orpik era was the only time since the 90's the Caps had a solid D-corps and lo and behold June 7, 2018 was a day to remember

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
short sighted.....never said that.

As for “win-now” mode, I’d give this D Corp one try before I’m retooling again trying to get the right mix. That’s how I see the next 5 years playing out....constant retooling chasing one more and that might mean some bigger names moving.

A trade involving Orlov doesn’t necessarily need to involve a better replacement coming back in that deal. That can be accomplished through subsequent moves, should an internal option not be available. Trade or FA move.

That's one of the only ways this makes sense though. The post you quoted didn't even mention the defenseman replacing him, it said that you're not likely to get a player of Orlov's value back for him period. Who are you trading him for? What do you honestly expect to get?

You're not replacing him with a better FA defenseman for that dollar value based on the way that's worked in the past, although maybe the flat cap changes how teams spend, and trading for his replacement requires, well, assets. Only "smart" way to do it is to get the assets in the Orlov trade, but again... why? It's straight out of Jim Rutherford's General Managing Handbook, except Orlov's not actually a mistake that needs correcting.

It just doesn't make any sense. If you want to win a Cup the way you say you do you should be treating these two years of Orlov as a way to keep the window open, not figuring out how to swap him out for something else.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
My mindset is:
Never trade away a Top-4 D
top defensemen don't grow on trees and making trades for them ain't easy; I can count the # of Lidstroms since Lidstrom on less than 1 finger, there's maybe 15 studs on D in the whole league and I'm not sure if I count Carlson as one of them, let alone Orlov

Nisky/Orpik era was the only time since the 90's the Caps had a solid D-corps and lo and behold June 7, 2018 was a day to remember

which is why going to the open market might be the way to go again....let’s see where everyone is after next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I think the Capitals underuse Orlov to the point that they dont get close to the value his cap hit brings. To describe him as an all situations top pair defenseman would indicate that he is pp1 and pk1. That he is on the ice in primary offensive and defensive situations. He gets marginal pp time when Carlson is finished and he nearly never kills a penalty. He is primarily an even strenth player. On a team that could use his pp skills and his offensive talent, he would be a TOI team leader, but that will never happen as long as he plays for the Capitals.

The only reason to trade him would be to acquire the return a legit 1d would bring and find a defenseman that is a better fit for the role they have Orlov in right now.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad