Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
For the same reasons we traded him for Gudas To get more cap space

The Caps traded him. Niskanen was 2nd on the Flyers in TOI and is in the last year of his contract. There is no way that Philly couldnt get a nice return for him. Of course as he is the change in the culture there that they needed and I would venture to guess the defacto captain. I would be stunned if the Flyers moved him.

How much would you give Philly to get him back? He was what they were missing this season

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
So you're crediting TR rather than Forsythe with the PP success of prior years? But it was very good before Reirden too.
I'm saying we know for sure that Reirden was working on the PP for years when it was good, so to conclude that he intervened in the PP work during a time when we have no reason to think he was involved in it and in doing so caused it to get worse requires a bunch of gigantic leaps.

I don't know how much credit either guy deserves, or how much credit Oates deserves. I have no idea whether Forsythe is good at his job or not. It's clear a few different coaches have thought he was worth keeping around.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm saying we know for sure that Reirden was working on the PP for years when it was good, so to conclude that he intervened in the PP work during a time when we have no reason to think he was involved in it and in doing so caused it to get worse requires a bunch of gigantic leaps.

I don't know how much credit either guy deserves, or how much credit Oates deserves. I have no idea whether Forsythe is good at his job or not. It's clear a few different coaches have thought he was worth keeping around.
Or Patrick did. We just know

Jun 15, 2007
Pietrangelo to test UFA. Wow. That Justin Faulk deal was terrible.

You have to think Toronto will go hard for him but they don't have much cap space.

A savvy team could get a good player for cheap from Toronto if they acquire him without sending salary back.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Would you pay Pietrangelo 9 million a year to come in? Part of me says yes. Move Panik and one of Kempny or Jensen and I think it's do able.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Would you pay Pietrangelo 9 million a year to come in? Part of me says yes. Move Panik and one of Kempny or Jensen and I think it's do able.
I would because he’s so good but I fear we would turn into the Sharks with to much money invested in 2 #1s

How many guys would we need to dump to get the cap space for him
I’m fine dumping any of the bottom 6 outside of Eller

Parlaying the Holtby savings into a #1 was always the long shot dream

Get TJ Oshie on the phone and have him sell the team

Reactions: Corby78

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Realistically, the rumor is they were thinking of moving Orlov. Having Piets and Carlson carrying two lines would be better then Orlov and Carlson, but I don't think it does enough for you.

I think they'd be fine money wise, both Carlson and Piets could be moved (probably) if they're true #1s. We actually aren't in the worst spot as far as money goes.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Pietrangelo to test UFA. Wow. That Justin Faulk deal was terrible.

You have to think Toronto will go hard for him but they don't have much cap space.

A savvy team could get a good player for cheap from Toronto if they acquire him without sending salary back.
Johnsson would be a good middle 6 add. Would fit well with Eller. Would much rather have him aft his salary than Panik at his.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Johnsson would be a good middle 6 add. Would fit well with Eller. Would much rather have him aft his salary than Panik at his.

Isn't Johnsson coming off a major knee injury? I'd feel pretty nervous about adding him without any way to know if there's gonna be lingering effects for his skating.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Realistically, the rumor is they were thinking of moving Orlov. Having Piets and Carlson carrying two lines would be better then Orlov and Carlson, but I don't think it does enough for you.

I think they'd be fine money wise, both Carlson and Piets could be moved (probably) if they're true #1s. We actually aren't in the worst spot as far as money goes.

Where are there rumors of moving Orlov? As for Pietro. He gets 40% of his points on the pp. Take pptoi away from Carlson after he wins the Norris to make room for a guy he outscored 213 to 147 over the last 3 seasons isnt going to make for a happy member of your core. Given Carlson being there, I am not sure why Pietrangelo signs up to ride 2nd fiddle. Wouldnt he rather go to a team where he was the man?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Capitals are not signing Pietrangelo, as much as I’d love to see it happen.

Redskins have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl then the Capitals donor signing Pietrangelo.

I’m sure I’m 100% wrong here......amirite???

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Capitals are not signing Pietrangelo, as much as I’d love to see it happen.

Redskins have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl then the Capitals donor signing Pietrangelo.

I’m sure I’m 100% wrong here......amirite???
Probably would take a ton of money.
But it sounds like he’s not happy with STL. Testing FA almost always goodbye

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Koivu is being left go by the Wild. He's really slow these days but still a good defensive center and really good on the faceoff circle. Would be an upgrade on Dowd.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Koivu is being left go by the Wild. He's really slow these days but still a good defensive center and really good on the faceoff circle. Would be an upgrade on Dowd.
Love Koivu but he looks like a dog shit these days. Dowd is meh but he can skate at least

Reactions: Hivemind

Jun 15, 2007
The opportunity with Pietrangelo hitting UFA is not so much signing him but making a deal with Toronto to take a good player on a big contract for cheap.

Would you do Nylander for Vrana?

Reactions: tenken00

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Where are there rumors of moving Orlov? As for Pietro. He gets 40% of his points on the pp. Take pptoi away from Carlson after he wins the Norris to make room for a guy he outscored 213 to 147 over the last 3 seasons isnt going to make for a happy member of your core. Given Carlson being there, I am not sure why Pietrangelo signs up to ride 2nd fiddle. Wouldnt he rather go to a team where he was the man?
I'm convinced you'd argue against having Niedermayer and Pronger, or Rafalski and Lidstrom on the same team because of PP1 ice time distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad