Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
AP is a defenseman. A long range shooter. The Caps use Ovechkin and Carlson in that role. You dont use more than 2 long range shooters anyhow. Would you move Ovechkin close to the net when he is your best shot to beat a goalie clean from 40ft+ out and you have Wilson and Oshie to battle for rebounds and deflections in close? Would you rather have AP shoot it from Ov's office than Ov?
Ovie can score just fine crashing the net. He doesn’t need to live in his office

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovie can score just fine crashing the net. He doesn’t need to live in his office

Thats not the point. The best long range shooter in the NHL is Alex Ovechkin. Why move him in close and shoot pucks at him?
Also, do you think that AP is a better bomber than either Wilson or Oshie is a close in scorer?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Sprong was run thru waivers on a $750k contract just this last season and spent at least a half season in the AHL.

That is true, huh. But he was put on waivers right before opening day last year, and I think its a little tougher to pick someone up on waivers when you know you have to give him an NHL roster spot for the rest of the season at that time since most teams have their opening day roster set.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
But Sprong's new contract is one-way. Doesn't that make him more of a waiver risk if he's sent to Hershey? It sounds to me like the organization expects him to be with the big club next year.
One way doesn’t impact waivers, only how much salary you make if you’re demoted to the minors. Sprong passed thru waivers at the start of this past season.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Nylander for Vrana would be tremendous stuff from Maclellan and I'm not sure he's capable of pulling something this wizard-esque off. Toronto media can shit on Nylander all they want but he's a massive upgrade on Vrana in basically everything. Better puck carrier, better passer, better PP player, has an underrated shot. Their stickhandling couldn't be compared, just on a different level. He's also inconsistent as well as Vrana but it comes with much more raw talent. He's a total offensive package.

Would like to touch on Severson subject too. Been talking about him as far back as the last deadline. The guy is the real deal and on a cheap contract. If these two guys are on this roster, Caps instantly become legit contenders again.

Reactions: tenken00

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That is true, huh. But he was put on waivers right before opening day last year, and I think its a little tougher to pick someone up on waivers when you know you have to give him an NHL roster spot for the rest of the season at that time since most teams have their opening day roster set.

Yes and I would suggest that he might be the 13th forward and get waived at the end of camp too

Reactions: Calicaps

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Yes and I would suggest that he might be the 13th forward and get waived at the end of camp too

Well, that's entirely on Sprong. He fills a need on this team - young, cheap, and depth scoring. If he can prove that he can live up to his potential and improved his all around game, then there will always be room for him. Here or anywhere else in the NHL. But yeah. All on him.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, that's entirely on Sprong. He fills a need on this team - young, cheap, and depth scoring. If he can prove that he can live up to his potential and improved his all around game, then there will always be room for him. Here or anywhere else in the NHL. But yeah. All on him.

The question is MacLellan going to plan as if Sprong is the 3RW or bring in another player?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The question is MacLellan going to plan as if Sprong is the 3RW or bring in another player?

I really don't know. McLellan has his work cut out for him not just this year, but for next year too.

Somehow we have to find a way to get millions in cap space to fit in Ovechkin's raise, Vrana's raise (or his replacement) and Samsonov's raise all in what is another likely salary cap freeze next year. And also next year we have no other contracts from anywhere else on the team that is expiring that can give us that space.

That means we really have to unload some contracts off the team in a serious way, whether it be this offseason, at the trade deadline or next offseason (unless Seattle takes someone like Oshie).

Since you mentioned earlier that Panik could demand a trade if he is demoted back to the 4th line, I do think we are probably going to have to move either him or Hagelin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I honestly don't think Pietrangelo will look as good outside of St Louis unless he has a strong #2 behind him.

I was reading for Sprong takes as a PIT fan, but I agree on this 10000%. I think a lot of people don’t realize how much of a less Carlson / Letang type Piets is. He is a # 1 D, but he won the cup behind the Parayko and Bouwmeester pairing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was reading for Sprong takes as a PIT fan, but I agree on this 10000%. I think a lot of people don’t realize how much of a less Carlson / Letang type Piets is. He is a # 1 D, but he won the cup behind the Parayko and Bouwmeester pairing.

Being fair to AP, what's his job? Do you want your best offense creating defenseman matching up against the opposing first line and playing defense most of the time?

Carlson could be on shutdown duty with Orlov but his offense at even strenth would be cut in half

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Nylander for Vrana would be tremendous stuff from Maclellan and I'm not sure he's capable of pulling something this wizard-esque off. Toronto media can shit on Nylander all they want but he's a massive upgrade on Vrana in basically everything. Better puck carrier, better passer, better PP player, has an underrated shot. Their stickhandling couldn't be compared, just on a different level. He's also inconsistent as well as Vrana but it comes with much more raw talent. He's a total offensive package.

This is... actually very intriguing. If the Leafs are serious about AP27, they’re going to need to shed one of those big contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad