Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

capsdom86

May 28, 2015
So...trading Niskanen not looking so good now. He seems to have turned his game around with Philly. Which many expected.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Niskanen makes almost 6m per. Not feasible.

I'm hearing NHL analysts throw Mike Babcock's name out there.

That would be delicious.

Dumping Trotz and replacing him with the biggest asshole since Mike Keenan.

I prefer Lavy.

I wonder about Gallant coaching a team with veterans and expectations. His squads in Florida and Vegas were overachievers with kids and cast-offs.

Reactions: RandyHolt

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Niskanen makes almost 6m per. Not feasible.

I wonder about Gallant coaching a team with veterans and expectations. His squads in Florida and Vegas were overachievers with kids and cast-offs.

Well the Caps, especially next year, will have plenty of kids and castoffs, but also a solid core to bind it together. Our problem is still getting all our parts playing to 100% of their ability, something we've only seen from them for a magical 2 month run in 2018.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Can we put to bed the notion that VGK was solely "kids and cast-offs?" Existing teams were limited far more than in prior expansion drafts as to whom they could protect. Not to completely discount the work necessary to make the right selections and then get them to gel as a unit, but they weren't the 74/75 Caps.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Can we put to bed the notion that VGK was solely "kids and cast-offs?" Existing teams were limited far more than in prior expansion drafts as to whom they could protect. Not to completely discount the work necessary to make the right selections and then get them to gel as a unit, but they weren't the 74/75 Caps.
As long as whatever notion we replace it with accounts for everyone thinking their roster was hopelessly bad after the expansion draft, sure.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
As long as whatever notion we replace it with accounts for everyone thinking their roster was hopelessly bad after the expansion draft, sure.
That was habit based on the way people think of expansion teams. It was not based on the facts of the VGK roster. They had high-end talent, including a multiple Cup-winning tender. That team was better than any previous expansion roster by a country mile.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

The "kids" was directed more towards Florida, but yeah, Vegas was a group of B players that were left unprotected by their clubs for various reasons.

They were not deemed essential pieces of their previous clubs and no one expected anything of Vegas that year.

I prefer what Lavy did, i.e. getting 3 different squads to the SC (a couple with veterans), and winning it once.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Vegas was a team of solid 2nd and 3rd line forwards and 2nd pair defensemen.

Jun 15, 2007
Watch when Seattle stumbles out of the gate. Vegas did great.

People are retroactively acting like the expansion draft rules are ridiculously in favour of the expansion teams. Every fan and analyst thought Vegas would suck.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

People are retroactively acting like the expansion draft rules are ridiculously in favour of the expansion teams. Every fan and analyst thought Vegas would suck.

so you’re predicting what? Seattle will be back to the traditional expansion doormat level?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Vegas got gifted a roster of 30 top 6 players let’s not pretend that coaching them was some great feet
Their current top 2 scorers, 2 of their top 3 centers, and Vezina finalist goalie weren’t on the team then and they’ve lost no one of consequence, it was a mediocre roster

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’d assume Kuznetsov is untouchable but I just thought I’d chime in and check since I don’t know how high the Caps are on McMichael and Backstrom just signed a big extension. Lmk thanks

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

nobody is retro actively saying anything. People were blown away with the expansion rules and the roster they would get before that draft. No expansion team ever got a haul like that. Did they overachieve? Yes. Did people think they would go to the SCF? No. Was it a good coaching job to get those guys playing together? Yes. But don’t act like it was a normal first year roster, because that it wasn’t. We lost our best D prospect who would have probably been in the middle pair in 2018. He wasn’t a cast off, we didn’t want to lose him. They started with a top end starting goaltender because Pitt couldn’t keep the two they had. That was a mid tier playoff roster from day one.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’d assume Kuznetsov is untouchable but I just thought I’d chime in and check since I don’t know how high the Caps are on McMichael and Backstrom just signed a big extension. Lmk thanks

No. There would have to be a breakdown, say a clash with the new coach or him quitting on the team for that to happen. Wouldnt be this off season.

The Caps seem to be high on McMichael but not as a replacement for either Kuznetsov or Backstrom

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
It was a mediocre roster in September 2017. It was a Stanley Cup roster in June 2018.

Something changed.... what was it?
It wasn’t Tatar or Reaves, William Karlson’s 23% shooting percentage played a big part in wins; Caps lose to lesser rosters in the playoffs all the time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
nobody is retro actively saying anything. People were blown away with the expansion rules and the roster they would get before that draft. No expansion team ever got a haul like that. Did they overachieve? Yes. Did people think they would go to the SCF? No. Was it a good coaching job to get those guys playing together? Yes. But don’t act like it was a normal first year roster, because that it wasn’t. We lost our best D prospect who would have probably been in the middle pair in 2018. He wasn’t a cast off, we didn’t want to lose him. They started with a top end starting goaltender because Pitt couldn’t keep the two they had. That was a mid tier playoff roster from day one.

Vegas got a good team. They got a roster full of legit NHL players. No stars til they got Fluery but a lot of solid players. The trick was rounding a bunch of players that were new to each other into a team. The rules were clearly set up to give Vegas a chance to compete straight out of the gate. No paying your dues period of sucking. Seattle will have to deal with the fact that the other teams have been thru this once and many will defend themselves better.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Pittsburgh is self-destructing.

I would do the opposite: trade Vrana for a mid-range first (assuming Dawson Mercer or Amirov are available), and use FA to fill Vrana's spot with a playoff-ready vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad