Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
gettyimages-963954968-1.jpg

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Hanifin reportedly on the block. Even with our LD prospect depth, I would give up quite a bit to get him. I think he’s underrated and has the potential to blossom under the right situation and coaching staff.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It was--except for the '80s music scene which killed but is over now. It's changed a lot in terms of food, arts, and night life. So much so that I've occasionally considered moving back, especially as my adopted state burns to ash.

WDC metro area's downside is basically it is expensive on the housing side and pre-covid traffic. Proximity with other major cities on the east coast is another positive especially compared to those on the west coast. But yeah 80s music scene was great my early concert going in HS (84-88) was pretty great though I honestly wished I would have been born about 4 years early to catch the metal scene earlier. Always felt like I was on the downside of a music genre wave most of my band playing career.

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ahh HFStival... one of the best days in the year if you were a young music fan who liked to day drink. Where else could you see a combination of artists like Cypress Hill, Eminem, POD, Violent Femmes, Ballyhoo, The Offspring, Jay-Z, Paul Oakenfold and Jah Works all on the same stage? Second best day of the year if you liked to day drink was The Preakness aka The Freakness (RIP to the infield and the Running of the Bulls aka the Running of the Porta-potties).

We moved back to the DC area from Southern California in the early 2010s and have mostly enjoyed it. I can't stand summers here as I hate humidity so July and August are brutal. You also get to choose between paying a fortune for something closer to the city to have a manageable commute or sitting in your car 60-90+ minutes if you want a little more space and privacy, so that's not great.

The food and bar scene is terrific, so not sure I get the comments on that front. DC is easily one of the top food cities in the US and has the 5th-highest number of restaurants-per-capita. It's also one of the fastest growing scenes in the US with places like Ivy City, SW Waterfront, and Union Market/NE all becoming destination spots after undergoing significant renovations.

I've traveled to every city that is home to an NHL team except St Louis, Tampa, Dallas, Winnipeg, Columbus, and Buffalo and a few are better but DC is certainly in the top tier, especially if you have money. You can be at the beach, in the country on a farm, or skiing in the mountains all within 2-3 hours. You can own a single family home that's short distance to city center or live in some pretty amazing downtown buildings. It has some of the best public school systems in the country along with many of the most notable private non-boarding high schools. All depends on what you're looking for but DC certainly isn't lame, though I do agree with @Hivemind on it being overly pretentious at times (just in a different way from New York, LA, or the Bay Area). There's also a growing art scene here, and it's becoming a destination spot for startup companies as well.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The best part of DC, for me at least, is just the unique beauty of the place. No tall buildings. All the marble. As a result of growing up there city crowds and traffic dont bother me but a lot of tall buildings are really uncomfortable.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Garth Brooks/band and crew would rent the ice for midnight pickup games back in the day when on tour.

I've seen the videos. Trisha Yearwood wasn't going to get drafted, but she did try!

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Apparently the Bruins are also shopping DeBrusk? He'd fit into the style the Caps play IMO but again probably a hefty price tag to acquire him

Yeah, and the Bruins don't want futures back. Any trade will have to help that team now since they have 1 year left of their Pasta-Bergeron-Marchand line.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I do believe he'd be a better fit on the Caps than Vrana is but I don't believe he's getting traded. Just some noice from the B's to check what's up on the market.
Agreed. Sounds like they are checking up on everyone. Probably will have to semi rebuild their D as well with Chara most likely moving and Krug pricing himself out

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Garth Brooks/band and crew would rent the ice for midnight pickup games back in the day when on tour.

I've seen the videos. Trisha Yearwood wasn't going to get drafted, but she did try!

Yea, well....I know Trisha. She is big. Formidable in a hockey game I would think.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
RMNB makes the case to get Bruce to come back to the Caps as an assistant coach now that the Leafs have just filled that position (was in the running for the assistant coach position with them). Something a lot of us have been wanting.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed. Sounds like they are checking up on everyone. Probably will have to semi rebuild their D as well with Chara most likely moving and Krug pricing himself out

I heard Friedman yesterday say that Boston needs offense and may need to move a d to afford. He suggested Carlo might be moved.

The other thing I heard was MacLellan saying that he thinks its going to be very hard to do anything

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ted and GMBM did interview him so he’s on the radar. But it’s Laviolettes staff to pick.
How much would Ovie Backy and Carlson respect BB playing for him again?
RMNB makes the case to get Bruce to come back to the Caps as an assistant coach now that the Leafs have just filled that position (was in the running with them) Something a lot of us have been wanting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad