Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 6: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Today caps playoff series flashback on NBC is 2016 vs the Flyers.

These throw backs are fun, I remember watching the end of game 6 just waiting for the caps to choke again.

Edit- Why are they showing the Flyers feed lol

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Watching the 16 and 17 playoffs reruns Mojo was a beast in the playoffs. I don’t get the hate for the guy had around here.
Then look what he did in Boston’s 19 cup run.

And I was wondering why 10 sucked so much then saw it was Mike Rachards not Connolly
MoJo suffered the same fate as Semin. Fans expected more, didn’t appreciate what they brought to the table, and latched on to overstated narratives or particular components of their games that they didn’t like. For Johansson, he was always called soft and people hated the drop pass and his propensity to always look to pass even when he had a good opportunity to shoot. MoJo was terrific and he was the best puck carrier the Caps had; Kuznetsov is the best they have now at zone entries but Johansson excelled at it and he was a big reason their PP was dominant while he was here.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Watching the 16 and 17 playoffs reruns Mojo was a beast in the playoffs. I don’t get the hate for the guy had around here.
Then look what he did in Boston’s 19 cup run.

And I was wondering why 10 sucked so much then saw it was Mike Rachards not Connolly

Mojo was inconsistent like all the other "young guns" that got sloughed off before the Cup. A half point a game is well below Oshie's playoff production in his DC years leading to the Cup. And Tom Wilson was a complete MONSTER. So Mojo was priced out and traded to make cap room for better options since he'd be too expensive as a 3RW. It could be argued that better bang for the buck overall and in the bottom 6 helped enable the Cup run. IIRC.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Nobody arguing Mojo had his good side, but he was an odd man out to sign Kuzy which ultimately brought the cup. GMBM kept his priorities and won.

The best thing Mojo did was his G7 sauce pass to Ovechkin I think. I guess that was against Toronto.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Going to be verrry tight after next season particularly if that's the case. It likely only furthers the likelihood Holtby cashes in elsewhere and could perhaps force them to expose Oshie for the expansion draft.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
That looks like a win for the players. Only 20% escrow in this COVID economy? And the cap won't go down? I don't know what the actual numbers look like, but that sounds like a great deal for the players.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Khudobin checks many boxes. Russian mentor for Sammy with some quality hockey left in him. From all accounts Dobby is good team player like Orlov so should be good in locker too.

Holtby's case is unfortunate for him. There is no guarantee NHL will actually play this season. No guarantee Holts will be good if so.

Although its even harder for Sammy probably. Anyway I think its not a proper way to expect the cup for Caps this season. Any series win in these circumstances will be a pleasant bonus, at least for me.

Big covid winner - Mean Lars.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Nova_caps IG has a video of Backstrom returning to practice. Are my eyes fooling me, or does it look like he shed the quarantine 15?? Looks good!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

McMichael, Sprong, Gersich and Maillet. Fehervary, Alexeyev & Malenstyn have previously been mentioned and that perhaps just leaves one more ace if they've already narrowed it down to the minimum. (I believe I read teams can initially invite two or three additional players before leaving for the hubs.) You'd think it would be another defenseman in Lewington if so.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Gersich and Maillet are head scratchers. Pinho and Pilon both deserved the spot over Gersich IMO after having a lot better seasons. I'm wondering if some other guys had the opportunity to participate and declined an invitation. Sgarbossa provided more experience over Maillet.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm sure they could decline if themselves or a family member has an underlying health condition, similar to how MLB players are opting out
Yeah, short of that or maybe an injury picked up during training you'd think anyone would jump at the opportunity. A Pinho or Pilon could be just a Dowd injury away from having a depth role.

Gersich seems like a confidence-boosting addition, although maybe at his best his skating can help keep practices up-tempo.

Edit: Appears Pinho is there:

Last edited:
Reactions: hb12xchamps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I trust that MacLellan has a plan and reasons for his choices. It might be roles, it might be experience, it might be skill sets. I expect that if Gersich was picked over Pilon it is because the Caps saw it more likely they would need what Gersich brings

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure they could decline if themselves or a family member has an underlying health condition, similar to how MLB players are opting out

It would have to be something extenuating like that....these aren't rich fatass MLB guys. This puts them one step from realizing their dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad