Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 6: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Crosby would have made Edm better (when he wasn't hurt), but they still wouldn't have been a cup contender IMO. They still had bottom 5 goals against and probably are wild card at best.

quite the difference in “stink” and a playoff team. Hall just not the guy to push them over the top.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
quite the difference in “stink” and a playoff team. Hall just not the guy to push them over the top.

True, I could have worded my post better. But if Crosby has a 100% healthy year and the best outcome is a wild card with a poor defense and no hopes of a cup, then I don't know if blaming hall is warranted.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
True, I could have worded my post better. But if Crosby has a 100% healthy year and the best outcome is a wild card with a poor defense and no hopes of a cup, then I don't know if blaming hall is warranted.

I think it’s more of a “if you’re not part of the solution” thing....than blaming him. He wasn’t however alone on that....

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Hall would be great... on a one year deal.

People who blame Hall for not leading the Oilers or Devils to playoff glory don’t really pay attention to those teams, or the league in general.

It’s Crazy that a Caps fan would say something so silly, I guess Ovechkin was a mega loser until 2018.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
With the latest injuries Crosby could be just damaged, older guy. His game relies on explosiveness and low body strength much I think, so he cant dominate anymore. Guentzel was his legs though and with his return we can expect Pens to advance probably.

Although all projections could be wrong just because of one guy - a goalie.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
With the latest injuries Crosby could be just damaged, older guy. His game relies on explosiveness and low body strength much I think, so he cant dominate anymore. Guentzel was his legs though and with his return we can expect Pens to advance probably.

Although all projections could be wrong just because of one guy - a goalie.

He looks fine to me out there, unfortunately.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Hall coming to Washington is probably a pipe dream, but in the event he was willing to take a lot less money to chase a Cup, the Capitals could see if he was willing to entertain the notion of a one year deal. Do similar to what Hossa did with Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Bring Hall in on a one year deal that doesn’t interfere with the next round of contracts. Play one of Oshie or Wilson on the third line. Let Kovalchuk go back to Montreal.
Maybe he decides to take a 1-2 year deal with a contender in the hopes that at the end of the deal there is clear direction that the cap will rise but I don't think it's very likely. Would certainly entertain the idea of signing him if that was the case.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
You would think that while the salary cap is static would be the best time for top free agents to take a 1 or 2 year deal with a contender.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe he decides to take a 1-2 year deal with a contender in the hopes that at the end of the deal there is clear direction that the cap will rise but I don't think it's very likely. Would certainly entertain the idea of signing him if that was the case.

I dont think the long term market is going to be there and not making long term decision in these conditions might be the best move. I just dont see Hall choosing a team where he would not be a featured player.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I remember how well that worked out for Tomas Vokoun....yikes

Lol, I didn't say that it would work out well. Just that with the cap being static, top tier free agents would probably be interested in doing a bridge deal if it's with a contender.

Not all top tier free agents, but at least more of an interest than there would be during normal times.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lol, I didn't say that it would work out well. Just that with the cap being static, top tier free agents would probably be interested in doing a bridge deal if it's with a contender.

Not all top tier free agents, but at least more of an interest than there would be during normal times.

Oh, i agree. Players and agents can have zero confidence in the future behavior of the market particularly considering the destructive nature of the American marketplace. I think bridge deals make sense.

I was only saying that the one the Caps did blew up on the launch pad.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Oh, i agree. Players and agents can have zero confidence in the future behavior of the market particularly considering the destructive nature of the American marketplace. I think bridge deals make sense.

I was only saying that the one the Caps did blew up on the launch pad.

I actually totally forgot about the whole Vokoun experiment. And I was so pumped at the time too. Ouch.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I’d love to make a move for a package of Rakell and Manson this off-season. Both have two more years on their respective contracts after this year at great values. Rakell at $3.8MAAV & Manson at $4.1MAAV.

It would definitely take quite a haul to grab both and we’d likely have to move some salary out, but, talk about incredible value for the next two seasons.

Any guesses on what it might cost us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad