Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 6: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nah, the Capitals' case is heartbreak. Like getting your heart broken over and over painfully by your one true love.

The Sabres' case is more like being an incel (involuntary celibate). Just lonely, bitter and depressed lol...

they’re not even past the hurting themselves stage....Sabre’s would need to “play up” considerably for a long time to get into our pre-Cup level of anguish lol....10 years doesn’t scratch the surface.

Reactions: tenken00

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'll take the 06-07 and 09-10 experiences over any non-playoff trash any day. Especially 07, that run was magic, and I knew they weren't ready to be true Cup contenders, so the playoffs were all lagniappe.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I assume you mean 2007-08, not 06-07. But yeah.
Oops, yeah. What a year.
  • Ovie with 65 and all the awards.
  • Ovie signed the 13-year contract.
  • Backstrom emerged.
  • The rise of Boudreau.
  • Trading for Fedorov and others.
  • That miracle run to make the playoffs.
  • Coming back from being down 3-1 to Philly (though losing G7 sucked).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Oops, yeah. What a year.
  • Ovie with 65 and all the awards.
  • Ovie signed the 13-year contract.
  • Backstrom emerged.
  • The rise of Boudreau.
  • Trading for Fedorov and others.
  • That miracle run to make the playoffs.
  • Coming back from being down 3-1 to Philly (though losing G7 sucked).

I’m of the opinion if we don’t get screwed by the refs, we make some noise, maybe the East Finals, and we win a Cup much earlier, maybe have 2 by now.

Being in the building for that clinching regular season win was magical as a fan.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Kempny seems to be working out quite intensely from his videos. Hopefully a good sign that he is further recovering since his play near season end was quite poor

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'll take the 06-07 and 09-10 experiences over any non-playoff trash any day. Especially 07, that run was magic, and I knew they weren't ready to be true Cup contenders, so the playoffs were all lagniappe.

The only thing destructive about what happened in the president's trophy seasons was the consistency of the failure. It was like proof that they would always choke. Even with the heartbreak, winning all those games is so much better than being the Islanders or Oilers.

Go back to the Rod Langway trade or the Ovechkin rookie season and I think from those points to present the Caps are the best team in the NHL. It didn't feel like that because playoffs. Put another cup in Ov's hands and all of a sudden the Caps look like a 20 year juggernaut

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kempny seems to be working out quite intensely from his videos. Hopefully a good sign that he is further recovering since his play near season end was quite poor

I am not holding my breath. I don't think his problem this season was conditioning.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
those types on injuries, Season 1 back is usually the hardest. The time off can only help him with the rest IMO.

I don’t think he’s proven ruined yet as you seem to be alluding to.

I understand that to the extent we have experience with "those type of injuries". A torn hamstring in a hockey player has little to no data to work from. You might be right. I hope you are right. I am not holding my breath

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm rewatching the Cup run, and a big difference between that team and the 19-20 Caps was the play of Carlson and Backstrom. Both were so much better two years ago. Backstrom looked a lot faster, and Carlson's shot was much better.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I understand that to the extent we have experience with "those type of injuries". A torn hamstring in a hockey player has little to no data to work from. You might be right. I hope you are right. I am not holding my breath

I’m not getting specific as to torn whatever, I’m saying as far as major-level injuries go, doesn’t seem like a write off just yet as an NHL’er.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm rewatching the Cup run, and a big difference between that team and the 19-20 Caps was the play of Carlson and Backstrom. Both were so much better two years ago. Backstrom looked a lot faster, and Carlson's shot was much better.

And compared to Johnny Norris? :D

Successful Cup runs often have guys playing at their best don’t they? It’s about catching that fire again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad