Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 6: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know we're biased but Ovi has to have one of the best Cup hoists of all time, right? Only one I remember watching that was comparable was Ray Bourque... "and after twenty two years... Raymond Bourque!"

hell yeah.....remember Ray’s well.....such a cool moment....

but Ovy with the guttural screaming, his fists pumping as his scream intensifies......the pure release of joy and exuberance....the best.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know we're biased but Ovi has to have one of the best Cup hoists of all time, right? Only one I remember watching that was comparable was Ray Bourque... "and after twenty two years... Raymond Bourque!"

This one was pretty epic.
mark-messier-1994.jpg

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Sorry to be late to this, but as a Canadian Caps fan since 1982 I want my voice in...

The original Caps jerseys are as classic now as the original 6. Islanders and Flyers realized that applies to their original jerseys and went back to those (Blues are halfway back to their originals, Buffalo might be soon, and the Kings and Canucks need to). Caps original jerseys are loosely based on the white Canadiens - absolute classic design.

Caps need to do it correctly, with larger font for the logo, and the letters sewn directly on. Like the originals. Then have at the 3rd/4th with various other historical and experimental jerseys. Tradition honoured and everyone can buy they favorite.

NHL also needs to stop making jerseys offshore and go back to Canadian made for replicas and also make the actual Made in Canada authentic jerseys that they wear on ice available again.

And Orpik definitely should be an AC next year if he wants it. Massive respect from the team and Kuzy will do great things under Batya!

Reactions: max21

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
On the different Caps blogs I saw Holtby, Johnny Norris, Kuz, and Eller where practicing today.

And Ovie has been in Florida skating with other NHL Russians for weeks

Reactions: Corby78

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I think it would be a great mental boost to the squad to have Orpik named as an assistant the first day of camp or something that is really beneficial to the group.
They love him. He is a father figure in the group.

In what is essentially a sprint to the cup, use whatever you can to get momentum going in your favour and I think it would be a huge boon.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No rule says we can’t sign him. Especially if someone like Gudas doesn’t report for covid cup
Bill Daly's response re: Romanov would seem to rule the possibility out even for players already on reserve lists. In theory, free agents that had finished the '19-20 KHL season would be eligible for the NHL stretch run under more lax rules so that seems pretty doubtful.

I'm sure Orpik has kept himself in fairly good shape but game shape? Kind of doubt it, particularly lower body explosiveness given all the knee issues.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Bill Daly's response re: Romanov would seem to rule the possibility out even for players already on reserve lists. In theory, free agents that had finished the '19-20 KHL season would be eligible for the NHL stretch run under more lax rules so that seems pretty doubtful.

I'm sure Orpik has kept himself in fairly good shape but game shape? Kind of doubt it, particularly lower body explosiveness given all the knee issues.
I’m not sure how much a difference of not skating for 3 months versus 12 months is.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Playing-wise aside, Orpik should be on the staff somewhere during the playoff run with both Fehervary and Alexeyev called up for what basically amounts to a cup of coffee in the MLB.

Even if the two youngins don't see much playing time, it would be good for them to learn what it takes to be a true professional from Batya. It's not his first rodeo, you know.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Anybody remember the details of how Gonchar became an assistant recently? I think they are pretty comparable with Orpik in a way players spoken about them (off ice interactions with Malkin and Kuzy).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I love Orpik but this is the most absurd post I have seen on this board in a long time, and that's really saying something.

Please. Fill me in on what makes this suggestion SOOOOOOO absurd that its the MOST aburd that you've seen in a long time. He said that his knee wasn't ready and he didn't want to suffer thru not being able to walk stairs. He said that otherwise he wanted to play. I can buy that wont happen but I don't see how the suggestion is the most stupid you've seen in a long time. I am listening.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The term “Black Ace” was once used negatively. The term originated from Eddie Shore, who would refer to spare players as a “Black Ace.” Shore would say that a team would be in bad shape if they had to use one of their Black Aces in a game. However, recently, it has been used more positively. A team would use a Black Ace to help them overcome the loss of a player or if they thought a different player could be utilized in a way to help the team win.

Pheonix Copley

Acting as the Capitals third goaltender, Pheonix Copley would practice with the team. An emergency stand-in if Holtby or Samsonov suffers an injury, Copley will serve in a back-up capacity again. Copley has played 29 games in the NHL, with a save percentage of .901 and a goals-against-average of 2.98. He stood solid in net as Holtby’s backup during the 2018-2019 season.

Read the rest of the article here
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/17/washington-capitals-black-aces/

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What the Departure of Reid Cashman Means for the Capitals
Another option is Scott Allen who was added to the Bears coaching staff last summer to focus on the defense and penalty kill and he did stellar in that position. Last season the Bears let in the third least amount of goals and their penalty kill ranked second. Allen has over 20 years professional experience, spending the last two years with Arizona Coyotes where they tied for the best penalty kill and let in the fifth least amount of goals before he came over; and the Coyotes are not a team brimming with talent. His experience would make a great fit with the Capitals.
Seems like a good possibility, particularly given his familiarity with Fehervary/Alexeyev. Boudreau was mentioned but that seems pretty remote. Bob Woods might be a more likely reunion but he may once again follow Bruce wherever he lands.

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad