Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 2: Happy Hockey Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
PS — Maacosharks Account is gone. I’m pretty surprised. I’m actually sad to see him go. I mean that.
That the people that know me are intimidated by me post is legitimately the greatest message board post I've ever seen that didn't save me money, let alone on hfboards

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Tex, do you think that long-term they will pair Orlov & Carlson together, if Fever and AA take the next steps in development in the next couple years and are able to carry pairings themselves? I definitely see the argument for spreading out your pairings (and keeping 9/74 on different pairings), but, you also see teams - with enough talent and depth - that stack their top-pairing and it does tilt the ice, while providing stout D.

Fever and AA may carry their own pair....in 3-4 years....

Reactions: Corby78 and txpd

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
It appears this is a great hockey team. Right this minute I have only 2 concerns. Can Jensen carry the load and how will they survive without Holtby next season.
Yeah dude I really don’t know what will happen if they can’t retain Holtby, worries me a lot tbh. Hopefully GMBM can work some magic

Reactions: txpd

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It appears this is a great hockey team. Right this minute I have only 2 concerns. Can Jensen carry the load and how will they survive without Holtby next season.

Holtby has been playing well lately, but across the board Sammy's stats are better. I'm not worried about losing Holtby.

I'm much more worried about losing a certain not elite defenseman and a certain pot stirring, goal scoring, energy demon winger, to injury.

I'm convinced the Caps beat Canes if Oshie was healthy.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't mind giving Sammy a few more games here and there. I know historically Holtby likes carrying the load but how long does that last? Plus, Sammy hasn't exactly been a true "starter" in any league. The most starts he has had in his career was last year with 37 and he was in a 1A 1B situation

Jun 15, 2007
I cant see a Samsonov/Copley pairing next year.

If we go with Samsonov as the starter we will definitely need a proven veteran backup like Halak.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I cant see a Samsonov/Copley pairing next year.

If we go with Samsonov as the starter we will definitely need a proven veteran backup like Halak.

A veteran backup won't break the bank and would let us keep more of the core skaters intact. If Holtby demands his free market rate to stay in DC, he will likely be priced out of the Caps plans. I think we all understand this, but I am just saying I am ok with it. I think Sammy will step up to the challenge, but having a backup plan also helps.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Samsonov needs not just a backup but a guy who can take at least half of the load off of him. I don't think he would be ready to carry the team through the season plus the playoffs next year.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Caps need to save money so any back up goalie can't cost a lot, Halak will cost a lot, he makes 2.75 this year and is due a raise even on a one year deal.

Samsonov with Copley or Vanecek will be fine as backups, they are gonna have to be.

Jun 15, 2007
The Caps need to save money so any back up goalie can't cost a lot, Halak will cost a lot, he makes 2.75 this year and is due a raise even on a one year deal.

Samsonov with Copley or Vanecek will be fine as backups, they are gonna have to be.

Assuming Holtby leaves, our cap situation isn't looking that tight. Leipsic, Boyd and Siege's raises shouldn't cost too much. 2m total?

Backstrom another 1-2m. Then we find another 3RD to replace Gudas at cost or even save some money if MF or AA convert to RD.

Basically, we should have a couple million leftover in cap space if Holtby leaves.

Add in a cap increase and we can afford a good quality backup or even upgrade another position.

Reactions: Sam Spade

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I'm all about high-flying offense, but, if anything our SC run showed is that we need to be stout defensively too. Is Hags struggling offensively? Yes. But, does he provide a massive plus in areas like d-zone play & PK ability? Absolutely. Is that worthy of a $2.75 million AAV cap hit? IDK, but, right now we are a better team w/ Hags in the lineup. Boyd is a top-six talent and deserves to play in the lineup (in the top-nine), but, you can't tell me that he's more important than what Hags does in every aspect of the game outside of offense. That's not a knock on Boyd either, as I alluded to earlier, I view him highly. I do believe Hags' offense and playmaking will start to pickup (he had five points in tens games - or something like that - pre-injury), but, right now he is a huge plus on defense and PK.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Holtby has been playing well lately, but across the board Sammy's stats are better. I'm not worried about losing Holtby.

I'm much more worried about losing a certain not elite defenseman and a certain pot stirring, goal scoring, energy demon winger, to injury.

I'm convinced the Caps beat Canes if Oshie was healthy.
I think losing Kempny was a bigger issue but yeah injuries played a key roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad