Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 2: Happy Hockey Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holtby has been playing well lately, but across the board Sammy's stats are better. I'm not worried about losing Holtby.

Take Holtby's first 5 starts out of the mix. From the 3 goals on 3 shots and yanked game. From that point on his stats are better across the board than Sammy. NYI, Dallas, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Arizona, Montreal, Detroit, Los Angeles. That's the managed murder's row that Sammy has started against. Right so. He's a baby.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. You cant realty win a Stanley Cup with a veteran back up. Anyone you can get on a cheap one year contract. Samsanov is either ready to win or he's not.
2. Kempny was big because he was the one player they didn't really have a back up plan for. Orpik couldn't walk up and down stairs. Siegenthaler was a baby. That's why they went with the two right shots together. It clearly hurt.
3. Oshie is the heartbeat of the team. Losing him was brutal. You could feel the team sag without him.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Take Holtby's first 5 starts out of the mix. From the 3 goals on 3 shots and yanked game. From that point on his stats are better across the board than Sammy. NYI, Dallas, Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Arizona, Montreal, Detroit, Los Angeles. That's the managed murder's row that Sammy has started against. Right so. He's a baby.

I'm not a fan of the "take the bad stats out of the mix and his stats look much better" line of reasoning. If we do that for Holtby can we also remove Sammy's 2 or 3 worst starts? If we do it to one side, we have to do it to the other side, or at least thats what my high school algebra teacher said, or something like it :)

Yes, Sammy is a baby. I didn't say I am basing my trust in him on multiple NHL seasons, I'm basing it on instinct, on faith. But also, we don't have a lot of choice. We simply can't afford market rate Holtby, Backy and Ovi, but we only have a high draft pick playing on the team ready to replace one of those three guys.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not a fan of the "take the bad stats out of the mix and his stats look much better" line of reasoning. If we do that for Holtby can we also remove Sammy's 2 or 3 worst starts? If we do it to one side, we have to do it to the other side, or at least thats what my high school algebra teacher said, or something like it :).

Crap. We are talking taking about 5 straight bad starts where something was clearly wrong. Then 19 straight starts. 19 straight starts v 9 starts. You trust the 9 over the 19?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Crap. We are talking taking about 5 straight bad starts where something was clearly wrong. Then 19 straight starts. 19 straight starts v 9 starts. You trust the 9 over the 19?

you don’t ignore either unless you’re trying to make a point.

Did anyone expect a bad contract year from 70?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you don’t ignore either unless you’re trying to make a point.

Did anyone expect a bad contract year from 70?

I am judging a player's play. He started out with something off. Like a pitcher with a mechanical problem. They fixed it and the player that started the last 19 games is the player you have. That is the main problem with averages. Those 5 starts have ruined Holtby's numbers for the season. I am also not saying that anything Holtby does this season means the Caps should turn the roster on its head to keep him.

My point all along is that after this season, its a new ballgame. It could be very ugly and there's really no way around the risk

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am judging a player's play. He started out with something off. Like a pitcher with a mechanical problem. They fixed it and the player that started the last 19 games is the player you have. That is the main problem with averages. Those 5 starts have ruined Holtby's numbers for the season. I am also not saying that anything Holtby does this season means the Caps should turn the roster on its head to keep him.

My point all along is that after this season, its a new ballgame. It could be very ugly and there's really no way around the risk

Agreed....

Reactions: txpd and Calicaps

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Sweet Jeebus! I just realized. These youngn's think we're Boomers. :facepalm:

Our dog's name is Boomer. He doesn't understand why all the kids these days are constantly calling his name
boomer.6821

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The NYI, Dallas, Calgary, Arizona, Montreal all currently sit in a playoff position if the season ended today. Vancouver is right on the outside looking in with games in hand over who's ahead of them. The only two really bad teams there are Detroit and LA who are the two worst teams in the league. Sammy has had starts against pretty good opponents

Edit: Completely forgot about Toronto, who should be a playoff team and I'd bet they ended up being a playoff team by seasons end

1. You cant realty win a Stanley Cup with a veteran back up. Anyone you can get on a cheap one year contract. Samsanov is either ready to win or he's not.
Blues just won with Jake Allen sitting and a rookie playing so I think that point is kind of moot as well. Philly has a vet mentoring Carter Hart and that is also playing out very well

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Blues just won with Jake Allen sitting and a rookie playing so I think that point is kind of moot as well. Philly has a vet mentoring Carter Hart and that is also playing out very well

I should have written that a little different. I didn't mean with the veteran backup backing up. I meant with him playing. Meaning if Samsonov isn't up for it, they are screwed whoever the veteran backup is.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I should have written that a little different. I didn't mean with the veteran backup backing up. I meant with him playing. Meaning if Samsonov isn't up for it, they are screwed whoever the veteran backup is.
Kinda like the Penguins in 2015-16 and 2016-17, right? They were totally screwed when their veteran back-up came into play.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kinda like the Penguins in 2015-16 and 2016-17, right? They were totally screwed when their veteran back-up came into play.

You are saying that there will be a MAF level goalie available on a cheap one year contract who is content being a back up goalie to an unproven rookie? Maybe I am missing something. Who did you have in mind? Didn't Murray take away the job and MAF lose it? Are you not describing Grubauer and Holtby more than Samsanov and Mrazek?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You are saying that there will be a MAF level goalie available on a cheap one year contract who is content being a back up goalie to an unproven rookie? Maybe I am missing something. Who did you have in mind? Didn't Murray take away the job and MAF lose it? Are you not describing Grubauer and Holtby more than Samsanov and Mrazek?
I don't hold MAF in the highest esteem (he cost Pittsburgh more Cups than he won them, and he folded against the Caps when he was with Vegas), so I do feel it's possible to get a back-up of his quality. But that's a secondary debate regarding our evaluations of MAF.

My broader point was that you often cite a whole bunch of stuff regarding what types of goaltending will and won't win a Stanley Cup (typically in favor of retaining Holtby), despite the fact that there's a whole bunch of recent Cup winners with goaltending stories that fly in the face of what you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad