Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 2: Happy Hockey Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OviGreat8

Dec 5, 2019
Bel Air, MD
You're still new here... this is just what we do. Crapfest over whoever is the worst player, even on the best team. Because some people want everyone to always be the best player all the time. Or something like that...
I'd love the team to be full of Ovi's, Backstrom's, Carlson's but that is not going to happen and the owner would be broke. Plus many times these fringe players do add other things to the team.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Well, who would you take out for Boyd?

Panik? He makes too much and is here for too long to be healthy scratched. We need to get him going.

Hagelin is the lead PKer.

4th line together is too good to break up at the moment.

Boyd is the obvious scratch.

A .5 PPG bottom 6 guy who is regularly making heads up offensive plays in the situational clusterf*** that is bottom 6 hockey is the obvious guy to not scratch.

Given salary dynamics at work Boyd in over Dowd, if not for those Boyd in for Panik. Ultimately it's not a big deal if they rotate scratches. But I don't see the top line doing much at even strength this year so the bottom 6 will need to pump out more offense than Hagelin/Panik are providing so far.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Having a player who deserves to be in the lineup as a healthy scratch... what a horrible problem for the team

In all fairness, the discussion was more about about having a player who absolutely deserves to be a healthy scratch in the lineup.

Personally, I don't want to see Boyd scratched, not after he just scored in his last game. Panik has been in the lineup every single game that he's been healthy. He hasn't done much of anything with it. He can sit for a few.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
In all fairness, the discussion was more about about having a player who absolutely deserves to be a healthy scratch in the lineup.

Personally, I don't want to see Boyd scratched, not after he just scored in his last game. Panik has been in the lineup every single game that he's been healthy. He hasn't done much of anything with it. He can sit for a few.
Come on, mate, Panik is just a slow starter. Maybe 80 more games and he will start to heat up. Just wait.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Panik will get it going and will end the argument. He is more versatile than Boyd as he kills penalties.

Boyd can rotate with Dowd as necessary.

My concern regarding Panik is that I cannot remember a single dangerous setup play from him this season. I'm not trying to dramatize this, I literally don't recall a single pass that led to a quality scoring chance. Who is supposed to be the playmaker on a line of Hagelin/Panik/Eller?

My other concern is that he barely gets a shot a game. If you aren't shooting and you aren't setting up, what the hell are you doing out there? The only thing he has done to stay in the lineup is having a long term, somewhat pricey contract.

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
My concern regarding Panik is that I cannot remember a single dangerous setup play from him this season. I'm not trying to dramatize this, I literally don't recall a single pass that led to a quality scoring chance. Who is supposed to be the playmaker on a line of Hagelin/Panik/Eller?

My other concern is that he barely gets a shot a game. If you aren't shooting and you aren't setting up, what the hell are you doing out there? The only thing he has done to stay in the lineup is having a long term, somewhat pricey contract.

Panik has generated 34 high danger corsi for attempts this season, his offense hasnt been great but hes great defensively with a 7.11 xGA, good for 7th on the caps. Just because he isnt getting a ton of points people shouldnt be so quick to dump on him, hes doing a lot of other things than just scoring.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Panik hasn't shown signs of anything that would earn him the benefit of the doubt so far. It might very well be what DaN insists and Eller's line will drag that dead body until they just can't take it anymore ooorr he miraculously wakes up which doesn't look realistic right now. At this point I struggle to even notice the guy in most of the games.

They’ve made a significant investment in the player. Yes he’s struggling, but that doesn't mean it won’t turn around.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Panik has generated 34 high danger corsi for attempts this season, his offense hasnt been great but hes great defensively with a 7.11 xGA, good for 7th on the caps. Just because he isnt getting a ton of points people shouldnt be so quick to dump on him, hes doing a lot of other things than just scoring.

I am not impressed with any of this. 'Not a ton of points' seems to be a very kind way to describe 2 points.

Considering significant injuries to the forward group and Hathaway suspension, there has been ample opportunity to step up. I would not be scratching Boyd to keep Panik in the lineup. There should be at least some degree of having to earn your spot in the line up.

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
I am not impressed with any of this. 'Not a ton of points' seems to be a very kind way to describe 2 points.

Considering significant injuries to the forward group and Hathaway suspension, there has been ample opportunity to step up. I would not be scratching Boyd to keep Panik in the lineup. There should be at least some degree of having to earn your spot in the line up.

You're not impressed with him being one of the Caps best defensive forwards? There's more to hockey than getting points.

Reactions: koalabear9301

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

You're raving about Panik but crapping all over Kuzy. :lol:
Is this the new Maaco account?

Reactions: Heath
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad