Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 2: Happy Hockey Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
More to the table how? I get that you think he is playing well. Would you scratch Eller for him? Would you scratch Oshie or Hathaway? Panik is killing penalties so Oshie doesn't have to. Boyd doesn't do that. Certainly not to the quality Panik does.

I see the problem but scratching Panik isn't the answer

Panik is not in the top two PK forward pairs so he doesn’t get many minutes on the PK. Typically we see Eller/Wilson, and Dowd/Hathaway on the PK.

Thus, I’m comfortable Panik taking a seat as Boyd arguably brings more in every other area of the game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Panik is not in the top two PK forward pairs so he doesn’t get many minutes on the PK. Typically we see Eller/Wilson, and Dowd/Hathaway on the PK.

Thus, I’m comfortable Panik taking a seat as Boyd arguably brings more in every other area of the game.

You are comfortable. Ok. Reirden wont be doing it. You know that. Maybe it would be interesting for you to suggest why Reirden wont be doing that.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
You are comfortable. Ok. Reirden wont be doing it. You know that. Maybe it would be interesting for you to suggest why Reirden wont be doing that.
Good question. If it was based upon performance he would be letting Boyd run with it for a few games but it obviously isn’t the criteria at play here but neither is the PK if you look at deployment thus far this season.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Panik has generated 34 high danger corsi for attempts this season, his offense hasnt been great but hes great defensively with a 7.11 xGA, good for 7th on the caps. Just because he isnt getting a ton of points people shouldnt be so quick to dump on him, hes doing a lot of other things than just scoring.
Panik is 4th in the NHL (200 minute minimum) with even strength 0.84 GA/60, trending up too, all his good numbers are from the last 9 games

Reactions: JayBeagleFanAccount

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Good question. If it was based upon performance he would be letting Boyd run with it for a few games but it obviously isn’t the criteria at play here but neither is the PK if you look at deployment thus far this season.

Let me try. The 3rd line the team structured was Hagelin, Eller and Panik. Injuries to Hagelin, Panik and Backstrom along with the suspension to Kuznetsov has kept that line from playing together this season. Sound Reirden has shutdown matchup assignments in mind for that group. They need to play.

Boyd is a spare. That's his job. The Caps traded a player to find him a roster spot. Boyd is not going to play Panik off the team. Which if you think he is playing him out of the lineup, is what you are basically suggesting.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Let me try. The 3rd line the team structured was Hagelin, Eller and Panik. Injuries to Hagelin, Panik and Backstrom along with the suspension to Kuznetsov has kept that line from playing together this season. Sound Reirden has shutdown matchup assignments in mind for that group. They need to play.

Boyd is a spare. That's his job. The Caps traded a player to find him a roster spot. Boyd is not going to play Panik off the team. Which if you think he is playing him out of the lineup, is what you are basically suggesting.
My belief is a player’s spot on a team should be earned. I believe Boyd has played well enough to stay in the line-up and the player whom I believe is not playing up to his capability the most is Panik. My thoughts aren’t that deep.

Like I’ve said, that is just my opinion. Obviously not one Reirden shares...for now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My belief is a player’s spot on a team should be earned. I believe Boyd has played well enough to stay in the line-up.

Well, then why not let Boyd continue to play in Backstrom's spot? He has been playing in that spot effectively and Caps are on a win streak. Why not healthy scratch Backstrom?

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Well, then why not let Boyd continue to play in Backstrom's spot? He has been playing in that spot effectively and Caps are on a win streak. Why not healthy scratch Backstrom?
Because Backstrom has played well when in the line-up. I’m not sure I’m following your train of thought. There is a vast difference between Backstrom and Boyd, not such a vast difference between Panik and Boyd.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Because Backstrom has played well when in the line-up. I’m not sure I’m following your train of thought. There is a vast difference between Backstrom and Boyd, not such a vast difference between Panik and Boyd.

If we are talking about performance being the decider, Boyd has played well in a winning streak while Backstrom hasn't played at all. Yes, its ridiculous. There is no chance that Boyd plays instead of Panik.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
If we are talking about performance being the decider, Boyd has played well in a winning streak while Backstrom hasn't played at all. Yes, its ridiculous. There is no chance that Boyd plays instead of Panik.
Your argument doesn’t make any sense. I am comparing two players who have been active.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

One of Cap's two top lines regularly play against top opposition lines. We don't have a shut down line and neither does Reirden hard match lines at home or on the road.

Boyd can absolutely play Panik out of the line up and if not for Panik getting paid 3.5x as much long term, it would have happened by now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Your argument doesn’t make any sense. I am comparing two players who have been active.

My argument is that Panik is playing. Period. What are the chances that Panik doesn't play? A quick check. Since returning to the lineup from injury the Caps are 9-1-2. Panik has not had a minus game.

In that same period Boyd has 2 more assists than Panik.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
My argument is that Panik is playing. Period. What are the chances that Panik doesn't play? A quick check. Since returning to the lineup from injury the Caps are 9-1-2. Panik has not had a minus game.

In that same period Boyd has 2 more assists than Panik.
As I have said, I’m stating my opinion. Since I’m not the head coach of the team, it is moot.

Reactions: txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
One of Cap's two top lines regularly play against top opposition lines. We don't have a shut down line and neither does Reirden hard match lines at home or on the road.

Boyd can absolutely play Panik out of the line up and if not for Panik getting paid 3.5x as much long term, it would have happened by now.

Specifically this week Reirden said that he is looking forward to getting Eller back with Hagelin and Panik because he had matching them against the opposing first line in his plans. I didn't just make that up out of thin air.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
My belief is a player’s spot on a team should be earned. I believe Boyd has played well enough to stay in the line-up and the player whom I believe is not playing up to his capability the most is Panik. My thoughts aren’t that deep.

Like I’ve said, that is just my opinion. Obviously not one Reirden shares...for now.

this isn’t college or a developmental league. Panik earned his contract based on years of achievements. Achievements that our Pro Scouts believed in enough to give him his contract.

our 20 games sample size here isn’t going to suddenly “change all of their minds” due to recency bias (like it has for many posters on here). He’s not getting benched unless his effort blows. Which it certainly has not. He’s pushing hard.

Panik will end up doing some important things for this team, mark my words now. And I mean that.

Mark these words. Right freaking now.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Panik does seem to be snake bitten. He's had some grade A chances since coming back that just has not gone in, including a bunch of posts. I'm not sure if he's Hagelin level of not able to put it in, but he certainly seems to put himself into opportunities lately.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
this isn’t college or a developmental league. Panik earned his contract based on years of achievements. Achievements that our Pro Scouts believed in enough to give him his contract.

our 20 games sample size here isn’t going to suddenly “change all of their minds” due to recency bias (like it has for many posters on here). He’s not getting benched unless his effort blows. Which it certainly has not. He’s pushing hard.

Panik will end up doing some important things for this team, mark my words now. And I mean that.

Mark these words. Right freaking now.

No no no, you've got this all wrong. The correct answer is, whenever a guy is on a cold streak, to bench him until he starts paying better. Thats what good coaches do, bury guys in the press box until they score more (from the press box of course)

/S

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
And I guess regarding lineup changes, the Caps are fielding their expected full lineup Monday night against Columbus. For the first time ever all season. Everyone is finally healthy and suspension free.

Let's see how it goes for a bit before calling for changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
The Caps are 22-4-5. We NEED something to ***** at each other about. Give us Orpik vs Bogosian. Its better than Brooks Laich vs a ham sandwich.

What about Boyd Gordon vs a turkey sandwich? Two very dynamic options.

Ham sandwich each and every time. :nod:

I need to see a heat map of the Ham Sandwich at 5v5 examining xGF/60 to make this call.

They are idiots..... please stop humouring them.

A Ham Sando is comparable to Turkey? WTF?

Salty pork goodness that can have spicy/yellow/sweet mustard applied versus dry white fowl meat, that has to have Mayo or cranberry (or both) to even be edible???????

I mean, honestly?

What’s wrong w you people?

Turkey sandwiches are awesome.

Ham sandwiches are meh.

With Swiss or provolone for me....lots of yellow, never spicy mustard for me.

No Spicy mustard??!?!?! Why even make the sandwich then? Go eat a salad.

Caps could be 82-0-0 and some here would complain and predict that 4th liner/6th d-man so-and-so is gonna doom their chances. It's just the way.

Also, give me spicy mustard or give me death.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Silky mitts

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
On a serious note, I respect the way you folks handle your disagreements & conflicts. The last few pages of this particular thread are a perfect example. Sports are going to bring out passionate opinions but you keep your comments about the topic. Name calling & implying lack of knowledge in a rude manner is avoided and a person really has to take an extreme position in order to receive a strong response from multiple Members.

I've been circulating around several Team Boards and honestly this is one of the most civil, with actual conversations. Some of the Team Boards have Threads which are more like the contentious Main Board Threads, where Members are posting their thoughts but do not appear to really be reading anyone else's.

So, again, well done on cultivating such a healthy environment for good hockey talk for Members with different opinions who cheer for the same team or at the very least for some of the players on your team.

Cheers

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
On a serious note, I respect the way you folks handle your disagreements & conflicts. The last few pages of this particular thread are a perfect example. Sports are going to bring out passionate opinions but you keep your comments about the topic. Name calling & implying lack of knowledge in a rude manner is avoided and a person really has to take an extreme position in order to receive a strong response from multiple Members.

I've been circulating around several Team Boards and honestly this is one of the most civil, with actual conversations. Some of the Team Boards have Threads which are more like the contentious Main Board Threads, where Members are posting their thoughts but do not appear to really be reading anyone else's.

So, again, well done on cultivating such a healthy environment for good hockey talk for Members with different opinions who cheer for the same team or at the very least for some of the players on your team.

Cheers
Yeah but....

ham or turkey???

amd more importantly....what type of damned mustard?!?!?!?!

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Cheers

Thanks. I think having the Caps finally win the Cup has made a world of difference. People are more relaxed.

I do hope the Canucks (and Sabres) will win one soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad