Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 1: Drop. The. Puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Does Todd think 8-92-43 was a fluke when they murdered everyone in the playoffs? They scored some of the prettiest goals ever at an incredible pace and no one had an answer for them. Why is he so scared to try them? If I'm not mistaken he didn't try them in the series against Carolina either. :dunno:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Don't care about the lines much, they switch all the time with every team in the NHL. My only thing is taking Dowd out of the lineup for Stephenson, don't like that one bit.

Also, this may be some good news:

Stephenson hasn't been bad. He isn't an offensive powerhouse and he never will be. He and Dowd are interchangeable as the 4th line center depending on what you want. Neither are great offensively. Stephenson is a better skater and a bit better defensively. He is also better at faceoff. Dowd is more physical. Better at puck battles. Still decent defensively.
Why can't we have both of them in the lineup. There is no reason we can't sit Panik or Hagelin. Stephenson can play either wing.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Am the only who is bothered by Pell putting the "uh" in her tweet about the line shuffling? She is not a commentator she is a reporter.

I'm trying to think of a time Khurshudyan ever did this.......

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
That is by far the slowest first line in the league. The old man line. Awful move by Reirden. Ovie needs to be split up from Backstrom and they need to be with faster players.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Terrible (Charles Barkley voice)
giphy.gif

Reactions: HSHS

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The worst top line bound to score only 100 goals between them

You are the one who called them the worst, not me. I said slowest. Two entirely different things.

Even our own fans don't understand that Ovie is still pretty damn fast.

Also who cares about the lines in October? The real intrigue here is who starts in net tonight against the offensive powerhouse Leafs.

He is still rather fast but he doesn't play a fast game whanever he's centered by 19 who loves to slow the game down and has been skating in mud lately.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Does Todd think 8-92-43 was a fluke when they murdered everyone in the playoffs? They scored some of the prettiest goals ever at an incredible pace and no one had an answer for them. Why is he so scared to try them? If I'm not mistaken he didn't try them in the series against Carolina either. :dunno:

I would guess this has more to do with Kuznetsov's inconsistent play and defensive issues since that time. IIRC he started last season using that line and gradually went away from it (could be wrong here though?). I think if Kuznetsov puts up sustained periods of strong play like he did in 16-spring 18, he will definitely get some games to center that line and see how it goes. I don't have a problem with 8-19-43 or 8-19-77 as the top line - but I like the mix that 8-92-43 and 13-19-77 brought all of them were at the top of their games.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Once anybody finds at least one worse line which scored 100 goals last year I will agree 8-19-77 isnt the worst

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Samsonov is the right call. Controversy schmontroversy.

The rest, though? Kinda clunky.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is this the equivalent of Reirden trying to shake up the team?

let the goalie controversy begin.....I’d be fine if they did a straight platoon with an “earn more starts with merit” idea in mind.....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

And then last season. What happened? Last season is more recent than the cup season. Right? Backstrom and Kuznetsov are fairly interchangeable parts. They are both 1C's. Kuzy will get his games with 8 and 43.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

What a stupid take this is. This is exactly why I haven't even glanced at Japers' in over five seasons.

Is this the equivalent of Reirden trying to shake up the team?

let the goalie controversy begin.....I’d be fine if they did a straight platoon with an “earn more starts with merit” idea in mind.....

Reirden squashes this right away.

Personally I think this is good for Holtby, get a reset, get pushed a little. I don't think this is as good for Samsonov, who I had hoped could ease into the NHL with no pressure and see how Holtby goes about his business day in and day out getting 20 starts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad