Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 1: Drop. The. Puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Stats don't tell the entire story. It doesn't tell what the competition was. It also doesn't tell you that the Caps have played a more defensive style when Samsonov has played. There is no doubt that the Caps are trying to shelter Samsonov by playing a tighter defensive game.Reirden pretty much confirmed that.
And yet scored 4. That's a model for success.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And yet scored 4. That's a model for success.

This might be a misread but my take is that the Caps are playing a new and aggressive skating attack game. They are still getting used to it. It has shown promise but also has pushed them to weak 3rd periods. With Samsonov playing they don't play that game. They play what they played before.

That said there were also some real changes in the defense mins for the Dallas game that I am curious about. That might have had an effect as well

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Stats don't tell the entire story. It doesn't tell what the competition was. It also doesn't tell you that the Caps have played a more defensive style when Samsonov has played. There is no doubt that the Caps are trying to shelter Samsonov by playing a tighter defensive game.Reirden pretty much confirmed that.
Untrue. HDS/60, MDS/60 and LDS/60 tells us a lot about what the competition was.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Orlov still has issues in the defensive zone. I suspect he always will. He has improved a lot over the years but I think this is his peak. I thought his ceiling was going to be higher.

As 100% NHL defensmen do. The good thing with Orlov is his value/price quality, ~ best in NHL.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
As 100% NHL defensmen do. The good thing with Orlov is his value/price quality, ~ best in NHL.
Not sure where you are going with this. Sure all defence men have issues in the defensive zone. Orlov has more issues than most NHL defenceman. I'm not sure if I'd say he is a bargain.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Since you are another one of those stats guys maybe you could throw up some fancy stats to show his value. I know he has been on the ice for a lot of goals against.
Hey, good idea. Then you can just say "no" again, and we'll be right back at square one. Again.

Orlov does not have more issues than "most NHL defenseman" in his end. He routinely impresses fans of other teams in all zones, and his gaffes stand out to us because when we see it all working it seems simple for him.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Panik over last 3 seasons (229 games) has 121 points. Pace of 43 points/season.

I’m waiting/hoping we start seeing some offense from him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hey, good idea. Then you can just say "no" again, and we'll be right back at square one. Again.

Orlov does not have more issues than "most NHL defenseman" in his end. He routinely impresses fans of other teams in all zones, and his gaffes stand out to us because when we see it all working it seems simple for him.

I am pretty slow on the analytics. I have missed a couple games. I can see from his stat line that he leads the team in EV/TOI game and is 5th or 6th on the team in total special teams TOI. I see he is at the bottom of goal diff with -5 in 6 games. That doesn't really look good but plus minus is flawed as we know. Its been my view since the start that Orlov and Jensen both were going to have to grow as players for that pair to be successful. I would expect growing pains. Is that what we are seeing or do the fancy stats say he is playing well?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I guess you have been watching different games than I have. He has made some good plays, he has made some bad plays. I would say the bad out weighs the good. Like I said he has been on the ice for a lot of goals against. Doesn't help being paired with Jensen. Sorry but he just isn't a great defensive defenceman.

Reactions: Hinterland

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
To me, Orlov has stepped up in Niskanen’s absence and seems like he’s taken over as the second leader on D. Happy for him.

Can you put some meat on those bones? What evidence other than the eye test do you have to back that up?

Niskanen lead the Caps the team in shorthanded toi last season while scoring 6 more goals with only 4 fewer points than Orlov. At present Orlov is 5th on the defense in sh/toi per game. I don't see how you can watch the games and see how he is used as say that he's stepped up to Niskanen's level unless you mean that only at even strength.

Last edited:

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
What offense are you talking about?

So, what I’ve noticed at even strength is that Dima has been a consistent possession player and has really driven play out of our zone effectively, whether with his hands and skating ability or pinpoint breakout passes.

I like stability in defenders and I’ve kind of seen more of that from Orlov on his own, whereas years past he would need Niskanen to make him more stable. I’m perfectly comfortable with him carrying a pairing for us and I think he has shown a lot more confidence in not only his defensive zone play, but, also in his offensive game. He has a lot of skill and I think that this year he has realized that he’s good enough to be a solid defender, while also being a game changer in the offensive zone. Defenders develop differently and I’m glad he’s found the right combination of defense and offense, rather than years past when it has been one or the other. If that makes sense, I hope it helped.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So, what I’ve noticed at even strength is that Dima has been a consistent possession player and has really driven play out of our zone effectively, whether with his hands and skating ability or pinpoint breakout passes.

I like stability in defenders and I’ve kind of seen more of that from Orlov on his own, whereas years past he would need Niskanen to make him more stable. I’m perfectly comfortable with him carrying a pairing for us and I think he has shown a lot more confidence in not only his defensive zone play, but, also in his offensive game. He has a lot of skill and I think that this year he has realized that he’s good enough to be a solid defender, while also being a game changer in the offensive zone. Defenders develop differently and I’m glad he’s found the right combination of defense and offense, rather than years past when it has been one or the other. If that makes sense, I hope it helped.

That reads like its coming from a fan. I will quit. I was looking for something more than the eye test. Some analytics. What I see is a team giving up a lot of goals. A lot of goals with Orlov on the ice. Some of those goals belong to Jensen but not all of them. I see 1 even strength assist. I was looking for some stats that would show that his play has been better than whats visable on the surface.

Reactions: Heath

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
That reads like its coming from a fan. I will quit. I was looking for something more than the eye test. Some analytics. What I see is a team giving up a lot of goals. A lot of goals with Orlov on the ice. Some of those goals belong to Jensen but not all of them. I see 1 even strength assist. I was looking for some stats that would show that his play has been better than whats visable on the surface.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Orlov is basically the same good player every year and his numbers aren’t out of whack, through 6 games last year same deal, -5 and 1 point, last year he propped up a number 4, right now he’s propping up a 5 or 6.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad