Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 1: Drop. The. Puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Before the Nashville game they were 13th in the league in HDCF% at 51.2%. Not great but not as terrible as you're implying.
I havent said once that they're terrible. I said they are not a contender and not top-10 on D. Terrible is synonym of a bottom feeder in my book. I think they're okay as a team, the D is pretty bad but the offense still able to kinda hold the forth. That said, I don't think that they will be among 8 teams in the run the next May.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If it’s 50/50 to advance each round, and you’re a lock for the playoffs, 50% chance put in 1, 25% out in 2, 12.5% out in conference finals, 6.25% lose in finals, 6.25% you win the Cup, you’re welcome for the lesson in statistics. Likeliest outcome out in 1 by a factor of 2.
No, bro, we're talking about getting past the 1st round. You said its the likeliest outcome for everyone who makes it to get eliminated in the 1st. I took it as everyone is more likely to lose in the 1st than to win. I think it was a misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They’ve given up a few breakaways but they really haven’t given up a lot of chances where the other team moves the puck laterally exposing Holtby. You’re pushing a narrative based on your predisposition against Reirden.
What are you talking about when you say we haven't given up a lot of chances when the opposition moves the puck laterally? Did you not see some of the goals we have given up.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
No, bro, we're talking about getting past the 1st round. You said its the likeliest outcome for everyone who makes it to get eliminated in the 1st. I took it as everyone is more likely to lose in the 1st than to win. I think it was a misunderstanding.
You think the Caps will be underdogs to any team from the East in the 1st round?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jun 15, 2007
Someone make the GDT. I would but I don't believe in making GDTs for games that I think we'll lose.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
You think the Caps will be underdogs to any team from the East in the 1st round?
I think they lack speed as a whole and lack structure and skill on the back end. To me, those are critical weaknesses for anyone who wants to be called a contender. I think Ovechkin, Backstrom, coke guy, 77 ,Vrana and Carlson are still the guys who can even with a very average goaltending drag this bunch up to the postseason but I don't expect anything more.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
What are you talking about when you say we haven't given up a lot of chances when the opposition moves the puck laterally? Did you not see some of the goals we have given up.
Whatever I come back with in terms of statistics and empirical evidence it’s not going to match up with maaco vision but yes I’ve watched a lot of the NHL this season.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It’s always fun watching people “break their own arm” to pat themselves on the back for some prediction.

It’s even more fun when it’s 6% into that prediction. Especially when at like 2% in, that prediction looked stupid. Now 4% later, it’s glorious.

“Crow when I can”. Right??

I’m with the predictors!!! F all of the rest of you!! LOL

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I think they lack speed as a whole and lack structure and skill on the back end. To me, those are critical weaknesses for anyone who wants to be called a contender. I think Ovechkin, Backstrom, coke guy, 77 ,Vrana and Carlson are still the guys who can even with a very average goaltending drag this bunch up to the postseason but I don't expect anything more.
No such concerns with their likeliest opponents, Rangers, Penguins, Panthers, Sabres?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Whatever I come back with in terms of statistics and empirical evidence it’s not going to match up with maaco vision but yes I’ve watched a lot of the NHL this season.
What kind of answer is that? I have watched every Capitals game and we have given up a few goals on quick lateral passing plays. I was trying to make sense of your comment.
I believe that there are way too many statisticians on this forum.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
What kind of answer is that? I have watched every Capitals game and we have given up a few goals on quick lateral passing plays. I was trying to make sense of your comment.
I believe that there are way too many statisticians on this forum.
They’ve given up “a few” tough chances in 5 games against some of the best teams in the league, allowing 2nd fewest shots, therefore the defense sucks?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
No such concerns with their likeliest opponents, Rangers, Penguins, Panthers, Sabres?
I really don't think Pens are getting in without Malkin but it's the Pens, anything can happen. I don't know about the Sabres, more sticking to what I said in the summer - Flyers will be in the playoffs barring any injury bug. Rangers and Panthers have the advantage in speed and looking at Caps goaltending performance last season and this season, I think any speedy team that the Caps don't have an advantage over at goaltending is not a good looking match up because goaltending is key in making up for defensive disasters and losing races for the pucks in your own zone.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think the D sucks. Also I think Reirden is right there with the D. Holtby is on his downhill too. I'm not trolling, its kinda obvious and has been discussed countless times all over the caps internet. It's the third season when he looks weak. His time in DC coming to an end as well as his time as an elite goalie. I do expect more from Panik though, he's better than he looked lately. Otherwise, everyone performs the way I expect them to. That's not a contender.

No, the defense doesn't suck. Reirden sucks. He willingly opted to:

1.) play Jensen as a top4 defender when he's clearly a nr.6 at best
2.) move Gudas to LD for probably the 1st time in his career just to play Lewington over Fehervary/Djoos/Johansen
3.) play that Gudas/Lewington pairing against top competition, even at home with last change (eg. that Hintz goal vs Dallas)
4.) play Fehervary in OT which most likely cost the Caps a win vs the therefore still unbeaten Canes

I get that you have to try certain things during a regular season but those were blatant mistakes...and I've just talked about the defense. Don't even get me started about the forwards and Vrana's icetime for example. Players are good...but you have to allow them to succeed.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I really don't think Pens are getting in without Malkin but it's the Pens, anything can happen. I don't know about the Sabres, more sticking to what I said in the summer - Flyers will be in the playoffs barring any injury bug. Rangers and Panthers have the advantage in speed and looking at Caps goaltending performance last season and this season, I think any speedy team that the Caps don't have an advantage over at goaltending is not a good looking match up because goaltending is key in making up for defensive disasters and losing races for the pucks in your own zone.
Based on that, I feel the more reasonable take would be “If the Caps don’t put in Fehervary and Samsonov to improve their skating and goaltending they’ll lose to a better skating team with better goaltending” vs everybody sucks.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Based on that, I feel the more reasonable take would be “If the Caps don’t put in Fehervary and Samsonov to improve their skating and goaltending they’ll lose to a better skating team with better goaltending” vs everybody sucks.
No, it wouldn't. Thats just ridiculous to think that Fehervary can solve their D problems at this point of his career in any way, shape, or form. He has a good upside on the offensive side but still makes mistakes at the other end, mishandling pucks in high-danger zones etc. I'm not sold on Samsonov unless he shows 10-15 games streak where he gives a consistent, high-level performance for the team.

Reactions: searle

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

2.) move Gudas to LD for probably the 1st time in his career just to play Lewington over Fehervary/Djoos/Johansen
3.) play that Gudas/Lewington pairing against top competition, even at home with last change (eg. that Hintz goal vs Dallas)
4.) play Fehervary in OT which most likely cost the Caps a win vs the therefore still unbeaten Canes

I get that you have to try certain things during a regular season but those were blatant mistakes...and I've just talked about the defense. Don't even get me started about the forwards and Vrana's icetime for example. Players are good...but you have to allow them to succeed.
The problem is Jensen is signed on long term contract and with intention to replace Niskanen. The fact that he's a bad defenseman didn't stop them from doing that so now they have to give a big role to him to prove the point and also because they don't have a legit solution for the 2 pairing problem. Gudas is nothing impressive as well. You get more calming and stabilizing vibes from him now than from Jensen but once the game gets real fast he will be that guy the opposing coaches will try and get their top players on the ice against. I wasn't even a fan of Niskanen when he was on the team but in comparison to those two, he had been a great player up until that last season.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
No, it wouldn't. Thats just ridiculous to think that Fehervary can solve their D problems at this point of his career in any way, shape, or form. He has a good upside on the offensive side but still makes mistakes at the other end, mishandling pucks in high-danger zones etc. I'm not sold on Samsonov unless he shows 10-15 games streak where he gives a consistent, high-level performance for the team.
So what would you do now/what would you have done differently for this defense that has gone from Stanley Cup winning to sucking in 16 months and 1 week despite moving on from certainly the worst skater of the D and probably the 2 worst.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

They don't need Fehervary to solve anything right now.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
So what would you do now/what would you have done differently for this defense that has gone from Stanley Cup winning to sucking in 16 months and 1 week despite moving on from certainly the worst skater of the D and probably the 2 worst.
I'd drive Jensen and Gudas to the airport at the very first opportunity of getting rid of them for anything of worth. They're not winning this season anyways so the sooner they build a proper defense the better.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Only thing we can do is to try ...

I) Orlov-Jensen + Kempny-Carlson
II) Orlov-Gudas + Kempny-Carlson
III) Orlov-Carlson + Kempny-Jensen
IV) Orlov-Carlson + Kempny-Gudas

... for next 40 games. If nothing works, we trade Holtby + Gudas/Jensen for an elite RD.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They’ve given up “a few” tough chances in 5 games against some of the best teams in the league, allowing 2nd fewest shots, therefore the defense sucks?
OK you do realize that team defense I clues our forwards? I would say our forwards are the strength of our team defense. I would rate our d core average at best.
Who is our best defensive defenceman? I mean playing in the defensive zone without the puck. It might be Carlson. He is supposed to be our offensive dman. It isn't Orlov. Definitely not Jensen who I would say is our worst. We do not have any shut down defence men.
From what I have seen our team defence has been fine when we have a forward helping the d core. We get in trouble when there is no forward.
We have also given up goals when the only guy back was a forward. That isn't a sign of a strong d core.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
OK you do realize that team defense I clues our forwards? I would say our forwards are the strength of our team defense. I would rate our d core average at best.
Who is our best defensive defenceman? I mean playing in the defensive zone without the puck. It might be Carlson. He is supposed to be our offensive dman. It isn't Orlov. Definitely not Jensen who I would say is our worst. We do not have any shut down defence men.
From what I have seen our team defence has been fine when we have a forward helping the d core. We get in trouble when there is no forward.
We have also given up goals when the only guy back was a forward. That isn't a sign of a strong d core.
I was hoping it would be Jensen or Sieg but right now it’s Carlson, and so many forwards have contributed defensively. Caps have the 3rd highest cap hit for forwards so they should be asked to do more, plus they’re missing a top pair guy in Kempny, maybe a factor in Stephenson playing every game. I think Fehervary can be that shutdown guy from the skating, physicality, reach and coaching.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Cool opinions. I will also take the time to share your opinion of Alexander Ovechkin with the group.

Confirms what we knew already...Ovi was lying all the way. He challenged a much smaller rookie and, as if that wasn't cheap enough, even jumped him, not even giving him time to drop his gloves. Finally he keeps on ramming his head into the ice with full body weight when the fight was long over...and he gets away with all of this without a suspension or even a penalty. This is pathetic and I just lost all my respect for this clown.

And your comparison between him and that punk Foegele
Wrist injuries ruined careers but so did concussions.
Difference between the two is that Foegele didn't want to hurt his opponent while Ovi clearly did.

Just because nobody liked you in the Canes forum while you actively rooted for them against the Capitals last year doesn't mean you get to hop the fence and annoy us here. Go away. Or as the Canes fans said:
S. T. F. U.

Seriously, you may end up being the first dumbass I mute on here.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Cool opinions. I will also take the time to share your opinion of Alexander Ovechkin with the group.

Just because nobody liked you in the Canes forum while you actively rooted for them against the Capitals last year doesn't mean you get to hop the fence and annoy us here. Go away. Or as the Canes fans said:

welp.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad