Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 1: Drop. The. Puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps have been blessed by two of the best goalies coaches in the business. Both Mitch Korn and Dave Prior. Pity that both are seemingly attached to other men who are no longer with the organization (Trotz and McPhee). Francois Allaire would be the other big name in the goalie coaching world, but he retired in 2017. I do believe his younger brother, Benoit, is still coaching. Bill Ranford is also great, but he's been in Los Angeles forever and I'm not sure he could be pried away.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
What do you guys think is fehervary's upside? What do you rationally expect from him?
Opinions range between good 2nd pair defenseman to future hall of famer, his skating gives him a high floor

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
What do you guys think is fehervary's upside? What do you rationally expect from him?

He is fast but he is also very aggressive and will carry the puck in a very Kris Letang way. Not sure if he will QB a PP as long as Carlson is around but he does for the national team and does a great job of it.

It will take him some time obviously but I think his ceiling is top four all the way.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
He is fast but he is also very aggressive and will carry the puck in a very Kris Letang way. Not sure if he will QB a PP as long as Carlson is around but he does for the national team and does a great job of it.

It will take him some time obviously but I think his ceiling is top four all the way.
Ceiling: Stronger, slightly shorter, more physical, hard/frequent hitting version of Jacob Slavin

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
So probably no Kempny for Saturday's game? Next week I will assume he will get the go ahead.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

As long as 8 is in his office a right shot plays point on the Caps pp. Meanwhile Backstrom is the qb

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I didn't. I said Kempny's injury was a big blow. It's not like Kempny is an entire defense. Aside from him and John, that's a very suspect D. And if the defense can't handle a loss of a one guy, especially if he's not #1, then that's not a good defense.
I'd rank it definitely not as a D of a cup contender. Didn't make the overall rankings but I'm sure it wouldn't make my top-10. Not in the 20s but its bad.
For so much s*it that I was given for posting this before the season, this opinion doesn't look that bad so far..

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That was not my only prediction before the season. There were a couple more very unpopular here that are trending in the right direction thus far but not there yet. Shall return to that too by Christmas.
Can you show me those predictions? I wasn't here during the off season.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
For so much s*it that I was given for posting this before the season, this opinion doesn't look that bad so far..
soooo... in your opinion...is it the D that 'sucks'? or is it Holtby that 'sucks' ?? Or the D *and* Holtby ??,, plus maybe a couple of the forwards as well ? ...and no, i'm NOT trying to insinuate that i'm quoting you directly... i'm just curious...

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
soooo... in your opinion...is it the D that 'sucks'? or is it Holtby that 'sucks' ?? Or the D *and* Holtby ??,, plus maybe a couple of the forwards as well ? ...and no, i'm NOT trying to insinuate that i'm quoting you directly... i'm just curious...
I think the D sucks. Also I think Reirden is right there with the D. Holtby is on his downhill too. I'm not trolling, its kinda obvious and has been discussed countless times all over the caps internet. It's the third season when he looks weak. His time in DC coming to an end as well as his time as an elite goalie. I do expect more from Panik though, he's better than he looked lately. Otherwise, everyone performs the way I expect them to. That's not a contender.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Right now, we don't have a shutdown D pairing. We have Orlov and nobody to complete him, like good Niskanen did on the SC championship run. Kempny does not solve this problem and I do not expect Kempny return to change anything in an extraordinary way. Carlson is so good that he can play with absolutely everybody who can skate straight, especially on the non-shutdown duties.

If Orlov-Gudas or Orlov-Jensen pair does not find the way to stop guys like Panarin, Kucherov or Crosby like Orlov-Niskanen did in 2018, we are doomed. Only thing we can do in this case is to trade at the deadline Jensen/Gudas + Holtby for an elite shutdown RD. The third D pair is also questionable, Siegenthaler is not an NHL caliber player yet.

Our playoff difficulties vs Carolina were not because of Kempny injury. Our forwards (especially third and fourth lines) where outplayed by their defensemen.

I am aware, many will hate me for my point of view.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I think the D sucks. Also I think Reirden is right there with the D. Holtby is on his downhill too. I'm not trolling, its kinda obvious and has been discussed countless times all over the caps internet. It's the third season when he looks weak. His time in DC coming to an end as well as his time as an elite goalie. I do expect more from Panik though, he's better than he looked lately. Otherwise, everyone performs the way I expect them to. That's not a contender.
If the D sucks why are the Caps 2nd in shots allowed per game? If Reirden sucks than Chicago and Quennville can’t evaluate defensemen for shit because you acknowledge Kempny’s value and they had him ready to leave the NHL until Reirden got a hold of him.
Right now, we don't have a shutdown D pairing. We have Orlov and nobody to complete him, like good Niskanen did on the SC championship run. Kempny does not solve this problem and I do not expect Kempny return to change anything in an extraordinary way. Carlson is so good that he can play with absolutely everybody who can skate straight, especially on the non-shutdown duties.

If Orlov-Gudas or Orlov-Jensen pair does not find the way to stop guys like Panarin, Kucherov or Crosby like Orlov-Niskanen did in 2018, we are doomed. Only thing we can do in this case is to trade at the deadline Jensen/Gudas + Holtby for an elite shutdown RD. The third D pair is also questionable, Siegenthaler is not an NHL caliber player yet.

Our playoff difficulties vs Carolina were not because of Kempny injury. Our forwards (especially third and fourth lines) where outplayed by their defensemen.

I am aware, many will hate me for my point of view.
If the shutdown D pairing was so important to winning the Cup why weren’t they better at home than on the road?

They’re pretty much locked in to the 8 guys they’ve got, counting Djoos and leaving out Lewington. It’s not up there with Carolina or Nashville but I don’t see why they can’t win with these guys coached up by TR.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
A healthy Kempny should be a big difference maker. He's been a stud since he got here and the team hasn't looked right since he went down. I think it's unrealistic to think he'll hop back in the lineup and be the cure to all that ails them but he will definitely be a stabilizing presence once he gets his legs back.

I wouldn't mind seeing Orlov with Carlson at some point. They struggled a few years ago but Orlov is a smarter and more well rounded player now. Kempny could be a steadying presence for Jensen and I imagine at some point they'll cut bait on Sieg, if he continues to struggle, and bring back up the Fever who looks good next to Gudas. All is not lost.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Because total shots don't matter if the amount of high danger chances against is not that great. You're welcome too
They’ve given up a few breakaways but they really haven’t given up a lot of chances where the other team moves the puck laterally exposing Holtby. You’re pushing a narrative based on your predisposition against Reirden.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
No, it's not. It's 50/50 once they make it there. But that nice dude asked for help, I've come to the rescue for him.
If it’s 50/50 to advance each round, and you’re a lock for the playoffs, 50% chance put in 1, 25% out in 2, 12.5% out in conference finals, 6.25% lose in finals, 6.25% you win the Cup, you’re welcome for the lesson in statistics. Likeliest outcome out in 1 by a factor of 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad