Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think they should roll with Vrana - Kuznetsov - Connolly as that's been a good line and throw Oshie onto the 3rd line to try and get Eller going. He's having a pretty bad season and if the guys around him wouldn't bail him out night after night, i would start to get concerned. It's nearly 2019 so he should wrap up his vacation soon and get back to work.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think they should roll with Vrana - Kuznetsov - Connolly as that's been a good line and throw Oshie onto the 3rd line to try and get Eller going. He's having a pretty bad season and if the guys around him wouldn't bail him out night after night, i would start to get concerned. It's nearly 2019 so he should wrap up his vacation soon and get back to work.

I don't think throwing a player 1 game back from an 11 game concussion into that roll is a good idea. Let him find his game in familiar spaces first.

Besides Connolly is going pretty good right now

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Is anyone besides Lars going to improve his dismal shooting %?

He’s on pace for 37pts (1 off his career high).

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Is anyone besides Lars going to improve his dismal shooting %?

He’s on pace for 37pts (1 off his career high).

He's fine points wise. He's bleeding goals against and needs to get rid of trying to dangle through 4 guys and turning the puck over in bad spots. We need him to be effective in a shutdown role once the Playoffs get closer.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He's fine points wise. He's bleeding goals against and needs to get rid of trying to dangle through 4 guys and turning the puck over in bad spots. We need him to be effective in a shutdown role once the Playoffs get closer.
This is all true. He scored some historic goals last playoff run and maybe it went to his head a little. Just need to get back to the style of play that made him so successful and put him in the positions to score those goals in the first place.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I don’t think bumping Oshie down changes any of that.

#callmeinApril

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

It's a good thought but Eller recently got some time with Ovechkin and on PP1 and still looked like butt.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I really like the look of this second line and of course the first line has been great. I think Kuznetsov and Oshie form a pretty good duo.

This line combo conflicts with Izzy's written article from today, which goes like this:

Before Wilson had gotten hurt, he’d returned from his NHL Department of Player Safety suspension with a vengeance, scoring eight goals with six assists in 11 games while averaging more than 20 minutes of ice time per game. As soon as he’s cleared, he’s expected to play alongside center Evgeny Kuznetsov and left wing Jakub Vrana. Oshie, who returned to the lineup Tuesday after missing 11 games with a concussion, will continue to skate with center Nicklas Backstrom and captain Alex Ovechkin.

Bottom line is 8/19/77 and 13/92/43 are going to be great. So is 8/19/43 and 13/92/77. But then so is 8/92/43 and 13/19/77.

Basically TR could tell all six of them to go do this, and it would be awesome.
tenor.gif

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Don't think there's anything there you can't guess.

It does say the Caps held him out an extra week more than they had just to make sure he was 100%. Kudos to the Caps for taking that precaution.

Well he's already equaled his goal total for 31 games post concussion lat year, so maybe the extra precaution really helped clear the cob webs?

He looked sharper than I expected last night.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
as we see, 2015 draft was absolutely crazy. Was Samsonov actually a BPA?

Samsonov wasn't BPA. We passed on Boeser, Konecny, Beauvillier and (Carolina) Aho.

That being said, we're eliminating a future need for top notch goaltending. You don't know if Holtby won't have a sudden decline or if he prices himself out of Washington.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Samsonov wasn't BPA. We passed on Boeser, Konecny, Beauvillier and (Carolina) Aho.

That being said, we're eliminating a future need for top notch goaltending. You don't know if Holtby won't have a sudden decline or if he prices himself out of Washington.
but there was Grubie at that moment on the team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Scouts viewed Samsonov as a BPA at the time. There's always going to be some players drafted afterwards that rise (and some drafted before that fall).
Their scouts did. I'm not so sure at the time it was universally clear cut when it comes to Boeser in particular. He's the one that's always stood out for me, esp. since at the time there was an immediate (and long-term need) at RW. That draft was just prior to them acquiring/signing Oshie/Williams and Wilson has panned out but he could have been either an upgrade over Connolly or someone that more seriously loaded up their top nine.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad