Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
First thing that comes to mind is a hematoma like what happened to Dennis Wideman when he was a Capital. Otherwise I can't imagine what would require thigh surgery.

But I'll wait for the official txmd diagnosis!

I don't get enough credit for starting the txMD nickname

Eskobar

Sep 28, 2016
PLAYERGAMES MISSED
Djoos0, ongoing
Wilson3 + 16
Holtby2
Oshie11
Kuznetsov6
Carlson1
Orpik20, ongoing
Boyd10
Kempny2
14-Dec Total55
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Leaders plus players like Vrana and Connolly have had to elevate their game to another level. There's a great competition going on right now in the bottom six. The coaching staff has gotten a lot of valuable information about organizational depth. For example, Siegenthaler has looked pretty solid so far. Reirden has tested many different line combinations and recently Jaskin-Dowd-Boyd line has looked pretty impressive. It'll be interesting to see which players will win the jobs and what kind of bottom six we will have in the playoffs. This kind of adversity could be beneficial in the long run.

Eller, Connolly, and Dowd are probably locks but Smith-Pelly, Jaskin, Boyd, Stephenson, and Burakovsky should still be fighting for their roster spots. I’m not sure if Boyd can challenge Dowd at center so if he wins a job he’ll probably be playing wing.

EDIT: Fixed Oshie's number of games missed.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
PLAYERGAMES MISSED
Djoos0, ongoing
Wilson3 + 16
Holtby2
Oshie16
Kuznetsov6
Carlson1
Orpik20, ongoing
Boyd10
Kempny2
14-Dec Total60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Leaders plus players like Vrana and Connolly have had to elevate their game to another level. There's a great competition going on right now in the bottom six. The coaching staff has gotten a lot of valuable information about organizational depth. For example, Siegenthaler has looked pretty solid so far. Reirden has tested many different line combinations and recently Jaskin-Dowd-Boyd line has looked pretty impressive. It'll be interesting to see which players will win the jobs and what kind of bottom six we will have in the playoffs. This kind of adversity could be beneficial in the long run.

Eller, Connolly, and Dowd are probably locks but Smith-Pelly, Jaskin, Boyd, Stephenson, and Burakovsky should still be fighting for their roster spots. I’m not sure if Boyd can challenge Dowd at center so if he wins a job he’ll probably be playing wing.
Heard on XM PM drive time yesterday, that the year that TB Bolts won the cup they had a total of 57 games missed for the whole season and Torts would point to this as being a factor.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I look at NHL drafting like this; Quality goalies and defenseman are harder to come by. Yes drafting BPO is the way to go since they will almost always need a couple years to develop. But if you have two guys rated closely together, go with the D or G. If Boeser and Samsonov both develop on the same level, Samsonov will have the higher trade value if we need to unload him.
Don't agree with this at all. Goalies and D are much harder to project out than forwards are, as both tend to have longer development cycles. This is especially true for goaltenders. Tons of starting goalies in the NHL were drafted in the later portions of the draft, as the result of this. Holtby - 4th round. Rinne - 8th round. Lundqvist - 7th round. Murray - 3rd round. Hellebuyck - 5th round. Out of the 31 starting goaltenders in the NHL, I believe there's only six that were picked in the first round.

I fully support going with the BPA, and that means picking a goaltender when your scouts feel that they're the clearly the best player available. But if there's no consensus or it's close, going with the goaltender is typically the wrong option. There's a reason that exactly zero goalies have been selected in the top 10 in the past 13 drafts.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
First thing that comes to mind is a hematoma like what happened to Dennis Wideman when he was a Capital. Otherwise I can't imagine what would require thigh surgery.

But I'll wait for the official txmd diagnosis!

I was going to guess the same. Either he broke his leg, which we would have seen or its that hematoma thing. That's my guess.

Orpik will be back soon too

Reactions: troyerlaw

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Little more detail on Djoos:

Djoos got hurt playing against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, and after he missed Wednesday’s practice, complications arose from the injury, eventually leading to the surgery.
“A really unexpected situation,” Coach Todd Reirden said. “He’ll be away from our team for a while. We’re just concerned about his health here moving forward and wishing him the best here.”
Asked whether the injury could be season-ending, Reirden said, “No, I don’t think we’re ready to go there yet, but it’s probably going to be a substantial number of weeks. Tough situation for our team and the player as well.”

Doctors?

Last edited:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Wow, how? That's a sad quote. 'We are not ready to go there yet' regarding season ending potential???

That sucks.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Could it have been a clot or something? I can't imagine there'd be any doubt if it was ligament damage so something random/scary like a blood clot in his leg gave them pause?

I hate that the NHL doesn't mandate a little more information when a player goes down.

Reactions: searle

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Little more detail on Djoos:

Definitely sounds like a hematoma.

It's my stone cold lock of the century...of the week

Aqua-Teen-Hunger-Force-Carl-s-Stone-Cold-Lock-of-the-Century-of-the-Week-Season-1-Episode-13-Giants-by-23.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad