Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Honestly, with someone in Burakovsky's position, it's not enough for you to be doing work equal to that of your teammates. He needs to be doing work equal to his competition. That's why what Vrana is doing matters. One wants to create separation and own his spot, the other appears to want to wait and see what happens.

It's not like it highlights his individually poor work ethic or something, it's just if you had to choose between the two wouldn't you also want the one actively seeking to improve?

This isn't an either/or between Burakovsky and Vrana. We have both currently. The fluff piece about Vrana has no bearing on how much Burakovsky is or isn't working. We simply don't have the information to judge that he's not working hard enough. It's easy to think that these guys should just "work/train harder" to get better, but often that's not really the limiting factor. Sports aren't just about effort (on or off the ice).

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
silly question. if Ov scores 50 and gets another Rocket, could the Caps finishing 2nd in the east get him a Hart Trophy?
I think a lot of voters will vote Mackinnon because he should have won it last year

Reactions: Hivemind

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This isn't an either/or between Burakovsky and Vrana. We have both currently. The fluff piece about Vrana has no bearing on how much Burakovsky is or isn't working. We simply don't have the information to judge that he's not working hard enough. It's easy to think that these guys should just "work/train harder" to get better, but often that's not really the limiting factor. Sports aren't just about effort (on or off the ice).

They're in almost direct competition for a roster spot at this point and there are technical elements of Burakovsky's game that simply need work. If he doesn't need to completely reconstruct his release, he at least needs to be getting shooting reps in until he stops whistling everything 6 inches above the crossbar.

That kind of instinct training like Vrana is doing gets you out of your own head and into muscle memory, which Dre needs desperately. Less think, more feel, and you get that by doing reps until your hands bleed. It's not that Vrana's hard work means Burakovsky isn't trying, but I think he should feel the walls closing in on him and needs to show he's still working on growing.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Rantanen might be the reason MacKinnon doesn't win. Voters always love the "lone good player" narrative when it comes to the MVP voting.
Then it’s McDavid or Pettersson, every other top guy has help

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Then it’s McDavid or Pettersson, every other top guy has help
Probably McDavid (assuming Oilers make the playoffs). Pettersson will lose some Hart voters because he's gonna run away with the Calder.

Outside chance of Marner, though. With Matthews missing time again and Marner playing in a huge market, it will help his odds.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think this whole paragraph needs a [citation needed]. Oshie played the toughest defensive minutes alongside Backstrom for most of this and last season. Stephenson has mainly played 4th line minutes, which isn’t usually against the other team’s best lines.

Stephenson literally has the worst goals against/60 on the team at 5v5. Oshie has the best.

I could also point to the advanced stats that all favor Oshie, but no one cares about that I guess. Bottom line is in no world is Stephenson a better defensive player than Oshie.

I could entertain an argument for Stephenson being a better PKer and he does receive more PK minutes than Oshie. But that doesn’t make him “better” or “more trusted” defensively.

How dare you bring facts into this discussion!

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I don't think they'd be eager to give it to Marner, no matter how good his year is, considering most would still call him the 2nd best on that team even with Matthews potentially missing a lot of the season. Probably needs another year or two of elite play to confirm his place as a Hart candidate.

It all hinges on McDavid. If Oilers make the playoffs, it's probably him. If they don't, it's completely unclear. With all the vote splitting among the top duos, I wonder if Pekka Rinne wouldn't slide in and be a possible finalist/winner.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Here's your fluff piece about Bura:

Burakovsky was Washington’s first-round pick in 2013, drafted to be a scoring winger after piling up points his whole life. But that came harder at the NHL level, and in part because he’s had hand injuries the past two seasons, his production has declined. The stress of not scoring often had Burakovsky angry with himself, and his play away from the puck would suffer if he was in a scoring slump. But after consulting a sports psychologist over the summer, Burakovsky has tried to be more positive with his self-evalutations.
“I’m not drifting away from the game as much as I did maybe two years ago,” he said. “Even if I haven’t produced as many points as people expect or I expect from myself, I still think my game has been way better overall than in the past couple of years, so obviously that’s a good sign. If you look at my play in the [defensive] zone and the way I’m handling the puck, it’s definitely an improvement. I’m not worrying about putting up points here. As long as we’re doing good as a team, to be honest, I don’t care.”

Guy goes into a slump so he pouts and stops playing away from the puck. Consults sports psychologist (note, he should find a new one), and now he A) thinks hes playing better (note, he's not) and B) doesn't care as long as we're winning.

But hey keep defending the guy til the cows come home. I know what I'd do if my game wasn't right. I know what a lot of great champions do when they run cold. And then there's Bura. Bura's effort sucks, period! Vrana's effort looks like a guy who wants to stay and is doing EVERYTHING he can, to stay! And then there's Bura.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It's interesting what the Caps are gonna do when Wilson comes back.

Firstly, you got Wilson + Oshie + Connolly + Boyd all playing well at RW, so do you sit DSP? Can't touch the 4th line right now.

Secondly, I guess they'll probably put Oshie on the 2nd line instead of Connolly, but I think Connolly has been good and quite possibly a better fit with Vrana and Kuz, being faster in transition, where they generate most of their offense... and their defense has looked decent enough.

I think I'd try Oshie with Eller. And would put in Bura instead of Stephenson when it's time to make the next doghouse rotation.

Pretty ridiculous firepower... Esp. with the 4th line playing the way it has - and it doesn't exactly look like a flash in the pan, either.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
8-92-43
13-19-77
25-20-10
23-26-72
is something I’d like to see for a bit

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
People here aren't going to like this but Eller has been our weakest link recently. The 3rd line has been invisible on the scoresheet. Last 5 games Stephenson has 2 points but he was on the 4th line when he got those points. Eller and DSP have no points in the past 5 games. And Eller has been on the ice for quite a few goals against. Minus 4 in his last 5. He might be playing as bad as Burakovsky right now.
He has been fairly invisible. His 2 most memorable plays lastnight were turnovers because he hangs onto the puck too long. One entering the zone the other at the half wall on the right side of the ice. For some reason he wants to hang onto the puck instead of getting the puck deep.
Damn he is a streaky player. When he is off, he is bad.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's interesting what the Caps are gonna do when Wilson comes back.

Firstly, you got Wilson + Oshie + Connolly + Boyd all playing well at RW, so do you sit DSP? Can't touch the 4th line right now.

Secondly, I guess they'll probably put Oshie on the 2nd line instead of Connolly, but I think Connolly has been good and quite possibly a better fit with Vrana and Kuz, being faster in transition, where they generate most of their offense... and their defense has looked decent enough.

I think I'd try Oshie with Eller. And would put in Bura instead of Stephenson when it's time to make the next doghouse rotation.

Pretty ridiculous firepower... Esp. with the 4th line playing the way it has - and it doesn't exactly look like a flash in the pan, either.
Boyd can be sat. He has scored a couple goals recently but those goals were taps ins that were created because of good plays by his linemates. Jaskin and Dowd are more valuable than Boyd.
You might remember a few games ago Stephenson played on the 4th line with Jaskin and Dowd and had a goal and an assist in that game.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
People here aren't going to like this but Eller has been our weakest link recently. The 3rd line has been invisible on the scoresheet. Last 5 games Stephenson has 2 points but he was on the 4th line when he got those points. Eller and DSP have no points in the past 5 games. And Eller has been on the ice for quite a few goals against. Minus 4 in his last 5. He might be playing as bad as Burakovsky right now.
He has been fairly invisible. His 2 most memorable plays lastnight were turnovers because he hangs onto the puck too long. One entering the zone the other at the half wall on the right side of the ice. For some reason he wants to hang onto the puck instead of getting the puck deep.
Damn he is a streaky player. When he is off, he is bad.

Your shtick is getting old maaco.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Your shtick is getting old maaco.
Boyd can be sat. He has scored a couple goals recently but those goals were taps ins that were created because of good plays by his linemates. Jaskin and Dowd are more valuable than Boyd.
You might remember a few games ago Stephenson played on the 4th line with Jaskin and Dowd and had a goal and an assist in that game.
And then to follow it up with this nonsense.... Yeesh.

Boyd should sit for his good performances so that the fourth line can bring Stephenson along. I like Stephenson just fine but what is this?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And then to follow it up with this nonsense.... Yeesh.

Boyd should sit for his good performances so that the fourth line can bring Stephenson along. I like Stephenson just fine but what is this?
Wtf is wrong with you? Where did I say Boyd should be sat? I f***ing didnt. I said he could be sat. I wouldnt sit Boyd either. I'm guessing either Stephenson or DSP gets scratched when Wilson returns. DSP makes more sense since he is a right winger.
You missed my point entirely. The point was that it is Jaskin and Dowd that are carrying that 4th line and that the other winger whoever it was benefitted from them.
Maybe you guys should start taking notice but when one of our wingers is struggling it is when they have been on a line with Eller. No wingers have really excelled playing on that line. Stephenson and Boyd have had more success on the 4th line. Burakovsky struggled with Eller. DSP hasn't done anything with Eller. Connolly has played well this year but most of his production is away from Eller. I feel bad for him because when Wilson returns, Connolly will likely be on a line with Eller. Pretty much every winger on that line has done nothing.
Our 3rd line is a mess right now. If I had my way, Eller would be a scratch and either Stephenson or Boyd center that line.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Wtf is wrong with you? Where did I say Boyd should be sat? I ****ing didnt. I said he could be sat. I wouldnt sit Boyd either. I'm guessing either Stephenson or DSP gets scratched when Wilson returns. DSP makes more sense since he is a right winger.
You missed my point entirely. The point was that it is Jaskin and Dowd that are carrying that 4th line and that the other winger whoever it was benefitted from them.
Maybe you guys should start taking notice but when one of our wingers is struggling it is when they have been on a line with Eller. No wingers have really excelled playing on that line. Stephenson and Boyd have had more success on the 4th line. Burakovsky struggled with Eller. DSP hasn't done anything with Eller. Connolly has played well this year but most of his production is away from Eller. I feel bad for him because when Wilson returns, Connolly will likely be on a line with Eller. Pretty much every winger on that line has done nothing.
Our 3rd line is a mess right now. If I had my way, Eller would be a scratch and either Stephenson or Boyd center that line.

Thankfully...you won't have your way.

Eller is not going to be scratched. Anymore than Niskanen or Orlov will (you other whipping boys). Many players are streaky. Especially ones that are not top line talent. Eller is NOT a top line talent, so he will have his streaks.

You don't bury a player like Eller because he's on a cold streak. He plays through it. I'm sure you will now say "but but but Burakovsky!!". Bura does not equal Eller. Period.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007

It looks like Wilson will play next game.

Orpik is on his way back too.

Personally, I don't think I want to see Orpik too much. Let's give the kids a chance.

And I have to think Stephenson sits for Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->