Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Based on the lines today it's Burka. That being said Oshie could wake up and not be good to go against the Wings.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm saying it should be considered in two full years, not today. A LOT can and will change between now and then. Including Holtby of then could be permanently LOLtby.

Its pretty boring after a solid win, being in first place, and defending champs... we gotta make up scenarios, if for nothing else than to shoot them down.

Keeping in mind, we risk losing Holts or Sams in the ED which is really what this discussion boils down to.
You said you would consider moving Holtby at seasons end.
In this post you said it should be considered in two full years. Which is it? After the season or 2 years?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
All this talk about adding big names who will command top dollar, and all this talk about the best way to fill out the bottom six, who to keep, who to dump, all while up against the cap. Good conversations. But not one mention of the one area where I think we can actually see the most savings, AND alleviate the expansion draft issues - Goalie. Holtby won us a Cup, so did everyone else we're talking about here. But Copley has shown to be not only a competent backup, but a solid spot starter for more than the occasional 2nd half of a back to back. Holts will make $5M for the next two years. Samsonov should be ready to make the jump by then, and we risk losing him no matter what.

I'd seriously look to move Holts after this season ends (depending on HOW it ends) to free up some space to keep the rest of the bottom six core and/or add some talent up top. After this season, I would be willing to roll the dice with Copley and Sams in net, for great caps savings to spend on the ice. Thoughts?

Sorry old man, I can’t see it. At least not yet. I’m not sold in Copley yet. At all. And Samsanov has been less than inspiring in Hershey.

So.....Nyet. Well....at least not nyet. LOL.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Hmmm...I’ve got this player with well established confidence issues who’s just turning the corner.

I know!!! Scratch him!!!

Reactions: sycamore

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Hmmm...I’ve got this player with well established confidence issues who’s just turning the corner.

I know!!! Scratch him!!!

He had two brain dead penaltys in the third quarter of the last game. I dont want to know whats around that corner.

Jun 15, 2007
One idea is to sign Holtby and see if Samsonov can outplay him. If he does, expose Holtby. If he doesn't, expose Samsonov.

That way we instead of losing Holtby for free in UFA and then another player like Bowey/Kempny in the expansion draft, we just lose a goalie we have no room for anyway.

bigbharris7

Dec 10, 2018
Even though he’s still only 24, Burra has been given ample opportunities up and down the lineup to finally “break out” and live up to his alleged potential as a consistent 20+ goal scorer here. And while I’ll be forever thankful for his TB game 7 2 bingo performance and wish him nothing but the best throughout his career, it’s quite obvious that a change of scenery is probably best for both parties at this point. He’s yet to find his accuracy, usually hesitates way too long to snap one when he does get a open look, is way too soft on the puck, and he continues to make the same dumb turnovers in all zones up and down the ice. It sucks bc I truly do believe he’s trying to better himself, but it’s just not working here. Vrana’s quick and substantial growth production-wise and just overall game ultimately has made Burra expendable and it’s better for everyone to give him a chance elsewhere rather than healthy scratch him or give him minimal ice time. Overall, i’d personally love it if we could finesse a deal sending him to Detroit for Athanasiou who has an identical cap hit and one more year left on his deal. We’d probably have to include one of our D prospects and we have so many LHD in the pipeline that it’s worth it as long as it’s not Alexeyev

Reactions: amjay13

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Even though he’s still only 24, Burra has been given ample opportunities up and down the lineup to finally “break out” and live up to his alleged potential as a consistent 20+ goal scorer here. And while I’ll be forever thankful for his TB game 7 2 bingo performance and wish him nothing but the best throughout his career, it’s quite obvious that a change of scenery is probably best for both parties at this point. He’s yet to find his accuracy, usually hesitates way too long to snap one when he does get a open look, is way too soft on the puck, and he continues to make the same dumb turnovers in all zones up and down the ice. It sucks bc I truly do believe he’s trying to better himself, but it’s just not working here. Vrana’s quick and substantial growth production-wise and just overall game ultimately has made Burra expendable and it’s better for everyone to give him a chance elsewhere rather than healthy scratch him or give him minimal ice time. Overall, i’d personally love it if we could finesse a deal sending him to Detroit for Athanasiou who has an identical cap hit and one more year left on his deal. We’d probably have to include one of our D prospects and we have so many LHD in the pipeline that it’s worth it as long as it’s not Alexeyev

Vrana consistently puts in extra work after practice is over, there's a full WaPo article on his work ethic. Bura on the other hand seems to only put in extra work after practice when he's about to be scratched. The results are to be expected.

bigbharris7

Dec 10, 2018
Vrana consistently puts in extra work after practice is over, there's a full WaPo article on his work ethic. Bura on the other hand seems to only put in extra work after practice when he's about to be scratched. The results are to be expected.
Oh yeah I’m not trying to downplay Vrana’s grind at all. I was more so just making the comparison given that they’re two pretty similar players with Vrana’s leaving Burra in the dust. Still blows my mind that Trotz would scratch him like once a week

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Oh yeah I’m not trying to downplay Vrana’s grind at all. I was more so just making the comparison given that they’re two pretty similar players with Vrana’s leaving Burra in the dust. Still blows my mind that Trotz would scratch him like once a week

I'm just agreeing with your point that Vrana has passed Bura by. He's done it in less time, through harder work. There's a lot of Bura's game that could be solved with work, effort, determination, the things Vrana has shown lots of. Not sure if his (Bura's) penchant for boneheaded passes to the opponent in our zone can be corrected with practice though. Maybe with contact lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad