Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Burt's trade value is definitely not at an all time high, so I don't particularly feel a need to rush and sell low on him. I know many are frustrated and want to cut bait, but barring any significant changes to the team or its record, I'd be patient and see if he can finally turn a corner sometime between now and the end of the season. I don't think the type of return that the Caps would get for Burakovsky now justifies shipping him off.

Agreed.

It's fine if the Caps can find a useful trade, but it's a bit hard for me to see one involving Bura. If it's for another young talented-but-inconsistent player, you end up with a coin toss. If it's for a classic grinder, will it really help, especially compared to some of the internal younger/faster options?

At this point, the scenario that kind of makes the most sense to me (if things continue as they have) is to keep Bura through the end of the year and then simply trade his RFA rights at the draft; if he has a significant uptick during the year, re-evaluate.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That more likely means that he doesn't even get a qualifying offer from the Caps, IMO.

Agree, this is his last year as a Capital unless he does things he has never done before.

Burakovsky, woof. He just doesn't think the game at the level required to cash in on his talent and potential and there's no reason to believe the light bulb is ever going to turn on. He's a lost cause.

I realize the game is not physical at all anymore but Burka is so averse to contact of any kind that he just can't play in the NHL and be productive. Europe might be a better option for him.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, Emelin confirmed he had an one year one way offer from Caps in the summer (in todays interview).

Maybe it was before Orpik was offered his new contract btw (my speculation).

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Burakovsky did what he was supposed to do for this team and that was win a crucial playoff game like against Tampa Bay. For me, that buys him more time with the Caps. He's been streaky and I wouldn't object to a trade at the deadline if he doesn't become more consistent. If that is the case, I wouldn't expect much of a return other than a pick or similar player struggling on another team. We all know he has the skill and his shot is pretty wicked. For me personally, I would like to see him more in traffic areas.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Understand he's only played two games, but am I missing something with Jaskin. I have just not been impressed with his game with the small sample size. Lack of speed and energy. I'd prefer Walker.

Everyone will get there chance before the end of the season. I personally like Walker or some other youth in that spot. Jaskin is what he is, a veteran player fit for his role. We'll see what happens in January or February and revisit this.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
That's his new nickname, DJ Oos, DJ Out of Stock. I thought he looked good against Toronto but the GDT was ripping him a lot.

I thought he was ok. It's only October, so I don't get upset about players or play. If this was late winter or early Spring, then yeah I would be concerned. The kid has skills.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's his new nickname, DJ Oos, DJ Out of Stock. I thought he looked good against Toronto but the GDT was ripping him a lot.
Did you watch the wrong game? He was directly responsible for 2 goals against. He also had a couple bad turnovers on foolish mistakes. The spin move that ended up giving the Leafs a 2 on 1 was a selfish play. Trying to be too cute.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Understand he's only played two games, but am I missing something with Jaskin. I have just not been impressed with his game with the small sample size. Lack of speed and energy. I'd prefer Walker.
I'm not a Walker fan but I have to agree. I dont see much potential in Jaskin. I was expecting him to be more physical.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Burakovsky did what he was supposed to do for this team and that was win a crucial playoff game like against Tampa Bay. For me, that buys him more time with the Caps. He's been streaky and I wouldn't object to a trade at the deadline if he doesn't become more consistent. If that is the case, I wouldn't expect much of a return other than a pick or similar player struggling on another team. We all know he has the skill and his shot is pretty wicked. For me personally, I would like to see him more in traffic areas.

Absolutely no chance, he is too scared of contact.

I never was a huge MarJo fan, I thought he was very redundant on this team, but god damn would he go in the corners and get in front of the net if it meant scoring a goal. I was really hoping Burka would take up the MarJo spot on this team. I am pretty disappointed in him the last two seasons.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm not a Walker fan but I have to agree. I dont see much potential in Jaskin. I was expecting him to be more physical.

Not defending him, I never care about these 4th line scrubs, but he has only played two games and he is 5th on the team in hits with 9 (leader has 19).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, I have no problem trading Bura, but what would you trade him for? For forwards, the top-6 is set and he's got too much potential to trade for a true bottom-6 player. I think any bottom-6 reinforcement should be deadline acquisitions using middling picks and/or prospects. maybe a re-building team likes his and Bowey's potential with more ice time and you can package them for an impact defenseman?

Reactions: calicapsfan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's hard to predict any player being traded if they were on the Cup team last year. There are obvious optics/sentiment reasons at play, but also because just about everyone stepped up with key plays during the Cup run and you can always justify standing pat on the chance they will do it again.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Not defending him, I never care about these 4th line scrubs, but he has only played two games and he is 5th on the team in hits with 9 (leader has 19).
Hits is another stat that can be misleading. We have seen every game. What have any of those hits amounted to. He doesnt deliver bonecrushing hits so he isn't intimidating anyone. And he isn't causing any turnovers. I dont dislike the guy but we need some speed on that 4th line. It could possibly be the slowest line in the league.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's hard to predict any player being traded if they were on the Cup team last year. There are obvious optics/sentiment reasons at play, but also because just about everyone stepped up with key plays during the Cup run and you can always justify standing pat on the chance they will do it again.
I guess with the exception of Grubauer. He was traded. He also didn't come up with any key plays in our cup run.
I'd be perfectly fine if we traded Burakovsky. He is bringing nothing in terms of offensive production and he doesnt really do anything else. Trade him while we can still get a hockey bag and a couple of sticks. I'm guessing we might get a draft pick but not a very high pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad