Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Bura always seems to pull a two goal game out of his hat just as the board is at peak bash Burakovsky mode, so maybe that bodes well for Wednesday night.

Was a little disappointed we couldn't do more to take advantage of the Leafs 3rd D pair - Dermott and O-something-ov, neither of whom looked very adept at defending.

Also, seemed like Holtby should have had the 3rd Leafs goal from Leivo. Looked it went in off the bottom or side of his glove. And then we Backstrom-Oshie-Vrana had that shift late in the game in which there were 3 Grade A scoring chances.

Meh - it's early. But it does look like (i) opponents are taking advantage of Djoos (ii) our PK is not where it needs to be (iii) the 5-man unit team D and transition play we saw against Boston was the exception rather than the rule so for

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Meh - it's early. But it does look like (i) opponents are taking advantage of Djoos (ii) our PK is not where it needs to be (iii) the 5-man unit team D and transition play we saw against Boston was the exception rather than the rule so for
Teams also seem to be taking advantage at times of Orpik's poor puck movement. Overall, though, what stands out to me is the energy levels and lack of focus or execution when it comes to clean exits and getting in on the forecheck. They're back to similar levels of looseness compared to their pre-Kempy play last season. They were cleaner against Boston but since then their exits and sharpness in getting the puck back has been pretty poor by their standards. It doesn't help that both Eller and Burakovsky have done nothing much so far. They seem to be very reliant on Kuznetsov's brilliance 5-on-5 and then killing teams on the PP. That's their easiest route to success but also needs to be coupled with adequate team defense. That aspect of their identity is very much a work in progress and mostly seems to be the fault of the blueliners being a bit ragged.

It's as good a time as any to face eight straight non-playoff teams from last season. They don't have another back-to-back for a month. This should be the time for them to make strides in their underlying play.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Burakovsky is certainly a streaky player, in years past he's had stretches going as long as nearly 15 games at nearly PPG pace, so the potential is there, but i just don't think the toolbox is for him to become an effective top-6 player. Maybe as he grows older he can become a MoJo -type but even that seems very far away right now. He just hasn't adjusted well to smaller ice and better competition, IMO and the fact that he still constantly gives the puck away trying a fancy deke and gets killed in pretty much puck battles just makes you wonder if he's worthy enough to keep in the line-up. He seems like another Connolly -type where the tools are there for him to have good stretches but the toolbox isn't for him to be that top-6 guy they hoped he would, or at best that seems far away. Neither him or Connolly are particularly good defensive players but Connolly seems slightly better as he's more experienced, and he atleast wins some 1-on-1 battles and is more physical. One of those guys is a good to have in your 3rd line to provide a scoring threat in the hopes of them getting hot at the right time, but both? Ehhh...

Right now i'd propably flip a coin at who is better right now, but Burakovsky propably has more trade value and more cap relief so that tips the scales for me. I'd say he's propably bought himself a while with the Wilson -suspension but long-term i'm not sure i want them both on the team if neither takes the next step (very unlikely for Connolly).

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Burakovsky is allergic to winning any sort of puck battles and has no idea how to use his best asset which is his shot. I don't think you should keep both him and Connolly both in the line-up long-term, and Burakovsky is the more ideal trade target for most teams, i'd assume.
Burakovsky for Saad?

Reactions: searle

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It's not just Burakovsky laying an egg. @Langway is on the money, the team is far too reliant on Kuzetsov and the powerplay to generate offense. The only even-strength goal that 13-19-77 has scored in the past three games was Oshie's empty netter against Vegas. That line has cooled off dramatically since the first two games of the season. Vrana is at least still contributing shots on goal, so hopefully he breaks through soon.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
His last 2 headshots were not accidental. I think the ZAR one was def overblown, but the one on the Blues player was not overblown.

He knows what he did was wrong. He will change. I also still think this suspension will get reduced dramatically. To like 12 games.

Sitting down? ..... I think they were all accidental!

An elbow to a jaw, is not accidental. Think Bourque on Backstrom. A guy lowering his shoulder into an opponent.... the head is just there, as its hockey played in a gridiron - no where to hide. Incidental head contact. Tom does not come across as a dirty player, he just hits too hard, and too willingly.

No pun intended, ha.

The real problem is - he is a tank and thus the force he is generating before hits; short of charging, there aren't any rules for that. It's just simply frowned upon as the NHL and society comes to grips with head injuries and what to do about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
I don't think Saad is an option as Capitals already have 5 forwards at +5m AAV and 3 of those are wingers.
I figured it'd be a good option, only have 2 years left even if we only kept him for those 2 years, the cap would maybe be hard to manage though

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I figured it'd be a good option, only have 2 years left even if we only kept him for those 2 years, the cap would maybe be hard to manage though

First of all, i don't think the value is there for the 'hawks. I can't see them doing that, at all.

Secondly, like i said i don't think this team another winger making ~6m. Saad is a good player, just a bad fit with his salary.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not just Burakovsky laying an egg. @Langway is on the money, the team is far too reliant on Kuzetsov and the powerplay to generate offense. The only even-strength goal that 13-19-77 has scored in the past three games was Oshie's empty netter against Vegas. That line has cooled off dramatically since the first two games of the season. Vrana is at least still contributing shots on goal, so hopefully he breaks through soon.
I cut that line some slack, though, since they're so heavily relied upon defensively. I do think Backstrom needs to be more of the straw that stirs the drink but Eller also needs to become more of the possession stud he has been previously. Eller's linemates have certainly been a problem at times but on whole their possession numbers are also pretty bad. Only Djoos & Vrana have adjusted Corsi percentages north of 50. Given usage, I'd probably try Stephenson on the second line once Wilson returns and then maybe put Vrana on the third line so as to maximize match-ups or manufacture a depth advantage. Not sure they'll be able to get it otherwise. Still, finding their game more or less revolves around their centers and defense playing at high levels from top to bottom and then the depth wings converting. The C/D performance overall reflects just poor their system play has been lately. Not nearly tight enough.

I'd trade Burakovsky for a player like Brandon Tanev or Andrew Copp pretty easily. He's not going to turn the corner here so might as well get more of a prototypical third-liner that can thrive in other ways. I don't think he returns that at this point, at least not a similarly young version. Maybe they can get a veteran or a younger rental from seller toward the trade deadline. That's something I'd certainly think about if he's still the same player. Very little chance at this point that I'd qualify him at $3.25M. It's early...just five games in...but that light doesn't seem like it's turning on.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sitting down? ..... I think they were all accidental!

An elbow to a jaw, is not accidental. Think Bourque on Backstrom. A guy lowering his shoulder into an opponent.... the head is just there, as its hockey played in a gridiron - no where to hide. Incidental head contact. Tom does not come across as a dirty player, he just hits too hard, and too willingly.

No pun intended, ha.

The real problem is - he is a tank and thus the force he is generating before hits; short of charging, there aren't any rules for that. It's just simply frowned upon as the NHL and society comes to grips with head injuries and what to do about it.

I meant accidental in that he knew he was going to line the guy up, and was really *trying* (I use that term loosely on the hit to the Blues player) to go shoulder to shoulder.

As I stated in another thread...he just needs to crouch when he's hitting like that. Hip to hip or mid-section to mid-section. He's got to crouch down like a running back does when they are about to get hit by a linebacker or safety.
GET LOW

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Burt's trade value is definitely not at an all time high, so I don't particularly feel a need to rush and sell low on him. I know many are frustrated and want to cut bait, but barring any significant changes to the team or its record, I'd be patient and see if he can finally turn a corner sometime between now and the end of the season. I don't think the type of return that the Caps would get for Burakovsky now justifies shipping him off.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Burt's trade value is definitely not at an all time high, so I don't particularly feel a need to rush and sell low on him. I know many are frustrated and want to cut bait, but barring any significant changes to the team or its record, I'd be patient and see if he can finally turn a corner sometime between now and the end of the season. I don't think the type of return that the Caps would get for Burakovsky now justifies shipping him off.

Whereas another "lost" season by him will raise his value? It is what it is.....

He plays better, his probably wont get dealt, as the team will stick by its draftee. If he doesnt play better, then he assuredly will have even less value now.

I'd deal him now, if you get an offer you think makes sense. Team has a few viable W's now in the system in Hershey, so its not like they cant plug in someone else....someone else that can also get no points and no shots. Shouldn't be too hard to emulate those stats....

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Whereas another "lost" season by him will raise his value? It is what it is.....

He plays better, his probably wont get dealt, as the team will stick by its draftee. If he doesnt play better, then he assuredly will have even less value now.

I'd deal him now, if you get an offer you think makes sense. Team has a few viable W's now in the system in Hershey, so its not like they cant plug in someone else....someone else that can also get no points and no shots. Shouldn't be too hard to emulate those stats....

That more likely means that he doesn't even get a qualifying offer from the Caps, IMO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The rat definitely tagged him proper 2 times, maybe 3. The f***ing rat strikes again - it sure is easy to hate that guy. Injuring another player is ok with the DOPES if it's seeking revenge for celebrating. Why can't anyone nail that little face licking weasel proper?

We need to make sure Willy doesn't get suspended for the year going after him next game - I think its becoming clear we need more toughness. Seeing Ovi jumped / dropping the gloves was all I needed to see.

If I was playing the caps, I would be going after our best players. What do they have to lose?

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
The rat definitely tagged him proper 2 times, maybe 3. The ****ing rat strikes again - it sure is easy to hate that guy. Injuring another player is ok with the DOPES if it's seeking revenge for celebrating. Why can't anyone nail that little face licking weasel proper?

We need to make sure Willy doesn't get suspended for the year going after him next game - I think its becoming clear we need more toughness. Seeing Ovi jumped / dropping the gloves was all I needed to see.

If I was playing the caps, I would be going after our best players. What do they have to lose?
Ovi and Willy would have made great brawlers in the 1970s NHL!

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi and Willy would have made great brawlers in the 1970s NHL!

Ovi would have certainly touched off a lot of brawls with his monster hits. But he doesn't seem like much of a brawler to me, he's more like a clean Dale Hunter, starting all the madness and letting guys like Willy help, to keep his hands clean.

Dale would do his thing, and hold his stick and fist right into anyones face that approached. It was his way to wave in the troops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille