Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
With Wilson basically unable to play hockey anymore because the next time he brushes up against someone he is getting 41 games, there isn't a team in the NHL that would touch him. Especially a new team trying to promote the game in their town.
I agree. Wilson is being targeted by the NHL. If his game doesnt change he will be facing more suspensions. If he changes his game too much will he still be an effective player.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
No I meant we can leave him unprotected and Seattle wouldn't want him

By the time Seattle expansion draft rolls around either both Caps and Seattle Rusty Knights will really want Wilson or nobody will want anything to do him.

We'll find out how it all shakes out in the next couple of years. For what it's worth, Wilson can sell a lot more tickets and jerseys than your run of the mill $5m dollar player.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Too risky. Would u want Seattle take him and exchange to Pens?

I would love that because they would have his contract and a neutered player, which is what we will have in 15 games. :(

p.s. I am a Wilson fan, but after Torres got his second big one (the 41 gamer), he never played another NHL game and was out of the hockey at 32.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I would love that because they would have his contract and a neutered player, which is what we will have in 15 games. :(

p.s. I am a Wilson fan, but after Torres got his second big one (the 41 gamer), he never played another NHL game and was out of the hockey at 32.
Everything will be fine :) He will find a way. Even if he stops hit hard, with his size, he will push players away from the puck easily.
Caps will be lucky if they manage to survive these 20 games without Wilson. Caps have too much skilled players who can't fight. Guess what opponents do when they can't match talent? He's too important for Caps.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

They aren’t the same. You summed it up with the last 2 words of your post.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
So people have no fear that every hit Wilson throws for the next few years will have us all holding our breathe to see if it is the 40 game suspend-able hit or not?

Not really. He needs to change a little bit. I think he will.

I mean, sure...if he comes out and decapitates someone in the his first 10 games back, then yeah, he's screwed. It's really just that exact specific type of hit that he needs to avoid. He can crush someone into the boards illegally (say, a boarding from behind), and it wont equal 40. It just wont.

He just simply cannot go high speed shoulder to shoulder anymore. Thats something he can avoid and still be very very useful as a player. A game changer.

So to sum up.....sure, I'm a little worried, but not really. No more so than Kuznetsov can get hurt on PK, or Backstrom or Oshie can get another concussion. Or that Holtby gets hurt. It's all the same on the "worr-o-meter"

Reactions: shtorm2005

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fair enough and honestly on an actual life level of problems I don't care, but this is gonna be a rough season for Tommy boy.
MacLellan will figure out a plan of action for Wilson. They seem to have a pattern of the league telling him what to do and him staying within those guidelines and still getting in trouble. Wilson is a highly coachable player. My view is that this is reaching a point of it going public. The Caps putting on the table what the league has told the Capitals and then changing their expectations.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Say you are a scrawny 168 pound DMan, and you see Willy headed your way. Just look down at the puck, and he will have to pull up, possibly completely. Show him a bullseye on the top of your helmet. Head up... head down, you can make him basically stop and start dead in his tracks. Trolling Tom Wilson will be easy.

The plan of action for the foreseeable future has to be basically no hitting. Or hitting so lightly, I would never call it hitting cough Troy Brouwer. Hitting like that, why bother - will it be worth the risk?

Reactions: Sam Spade

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Say you are a scrawny 168 pound DMan, and you see Willy headed your way. Just look down at the puck, and he will have to pull up, possibly completely. Show him a bullseye on the top of your helmet. Head up... head down, you can make him basically stop and start dead in his tracks. Trolling Tom Wilson will be easy.

The plan of action for the foreseeable future has to be basically no hitting. Or hitting so lightly, I would never call it hitting cough Troy Brouwer. Hitting like that, why bother - will it be worth the risk?

Nahhhh....I think you’ll see Willy thumping people like normal with a slight modification to his hitting.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nahhhh....I think you’ll see Willy thumping people like normal with a slight modification to his hitting.

I sure hope so. Wnning the cup can only keep my rosey view for so long. If he weren't the most physical player in the league I could more easily buy in on"nothing to see here folks". I am not going to sugar coat it, he is quickly skating on very thin ice.

We are 1 or 2 accidental head shots away from a full 1 year ban. This isn't a Dale Hunter situation - easy to not sin again. The DOPS is run by dopes who routinely turn a blind eye, or crack the whip. Who the hell knows the next legal hit they seem illegal.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I sure hope so. Wnning the cup can only keep my rosey view for so long. If he weren't the most physical player in the league I could more easily buy in on"nothing to see here folks". I am not going to sugar coat it, he is quickly skating on very thin ice.

We are 1 or 2 accidental head shots away from a full 1 year ban. This isn't a Dale Hunter situation - easy to not sin again. The DOPS is run by dopes who routinely turn a blind eye, or crack the whip.

His last 2 headshots were not accidental. I think the ZAR one was def overblown, but the one on the Blues player was not overblown.

He knows what he did was wrong. He will change. I also still think this suspension will get reduced dramatically. To like 12 games.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Burakovsky is allergic to winning any sort of puck battles and has no idea how to use his best asset which is his shot. I don't think you should keep both him and Connolly both in the line-up long-term, and Burakovsky is the more ideal trade target for most teams, i'd assume.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
His last 2 headshots were not accidental. I think the ZAR one was def overblown, but the one on the Blues player was not overblown.

He knows what he did was wrong. He will change. I also still think this suspension will get reduced dramatically. To like 12 games.
BMac is that you?;)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Burakovsky is allergic to winning any sort of puck battles and has no idea how to use his best asset which is his shot. I don't think you should keep both him and Connolly both in the line-up long-term, and Burakovsky is the more ideal trade target for most teams, i'd assume.

Yeah, I would certainly think about jettisoning Bura. I have no idea what he might fetch in return though. Caps could use ... I dont know. A back up G? A better 4th line C? a better bottom pair D-man?

Even at 2-2-1, I'm not worried. The Leafs game looked and felt a LOT like a playoff game from years past (not the SC run). Lots of missed opportunities in the first 2 periods (they should have been up 4 or 5 to 2) and 2 seeing eye goals against. Bad penalty in the 3rd which lead to the deficit and then of course couldnt tie it up.

That was such a 2009-2017 playoff game, in a nutshell. I felt the Caps were the better team, but things didnt break for them. It was annoying, but I got over it pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad