Post-Game Talk: caps @ devs 1 pm 2/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
To no surprise Jensen looks better as 3RD opposing to 2RD.

I didnt see much problem with the 34-3 pairing. Im a bit blind though.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Blaming Kuzy already for a game that hasn't even been played yet? :whaaa?:

He's actually one of my favorites. I'm not blaming him for anything. Last pens game he made comments post game about how it's unfair they played the pens early and not at 7. It's a losers excuse.

Reactions: Heath

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Siegs sucks, he played the puck and ended up the reason for the GWG. Is anyone else actually concerned we don’t make the playoffs? Am I being too negative?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
"At least Ovi scored"
That what I was thinking in the first years of Ovechkin when Caps were losing games.

Well, if they have a problem to get motivated tomorrow, maybe than they'll need a change

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
They saw how they needed to play in the 2nd half of last week’s game against the Avs (their last win, I believe), the key to which was upping their pressure, physicality, and battle quotient. And so, having seen what they need to do to succeed, they’ve spent the next 4 games since then not doing any of that. It’s as if getting a glimpse of what they need to do was enough for them - as opposed to actually continuing to do it

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kempny was benched for a long time after the Devils 1st goal in the first period. Then he takes an ill advised penalty late in the game to put the Caps 2 men down. Say what you want about Jensen, but Kempny looked like he was trying to get back at Reirden for benching him or trying to get Reirden fired. Kempny now makes a case to be traded instead of Jensen.

I know Ted is cheap paying coaches, but how much more tolerance does GM BMac/Ted/Dick Patrick have if the team keeps losing and possibly taking themselves out of a playoff spot? I'm seriously ready for hiring Laviolette, who has a good deal of experience coaching in the Metro with the Canes(South East division at the time) and the Flyers. Laviolette has won a Cup and coached two other teams to the Stanley Cup Final. He's a hard @SS but a good coach for what this team needs. Gallant I don't want because he seems to have some fallout with management twice now(Panthers and Knights). Because BMac still looks up to McPhee to some degree, I think he would side with or talk to McPhee about what happened with Gallant and not hire him.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
It's too late to fire the coach lol. We stick with what we have, while trying to improve the roster if we can. Only not please another Erat for Forsberg

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Tough loss. I'm probably in the minority but I thought they played fine. Good start, power play was good. Blackwood was exceptional, it happens.

We definitely need a lot more from Carlson. It has been a really rough month+ for him. He was terrific on the 5-on-3 PK at the end so maybe that will give him a little spark. The circumstances of the 5-on-3 were really unfortunate. Guys worked really hard, killed off the first penalty, Backstrom's stick is broken and coming out of the box to give them a hand is.... Kuznetsov.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
At this point they aren't making the playoffs. What about their play leads anyone to believe things will turn around? TR says the same stuff post practice and post game and yet they still don't do it.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
To no surprise Jensen looks better as 3RD opposing to 2RD.

I didnt see much problem with the 34-3 pairing. Im a bit blind though.
Kempny and Siegs are the problem now. If Siegs is in the lineup tomorrow over Gudas, then Reirden should be fired before the game starts! Why was Kempny on the PK? Was it because Gudas was not in the lineup?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It's too late to fire the coach lol. We stick with what we have, while trying to improve the roster if we can. Only not please another Erat for Forsberg
That trade happened because McPhee tried to blindly save himself. BMac doesn't do desperate trades and he's not in a position where he could lose his job, especially since his team won the Cup just 2 years ago.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's a loser excuse when saying something like, "oh we were in 2nd place 2 weeks ago, so lets calm down".
They started off 26-6-5. Since they're 11-12-1 and have lost four in a row and six of the last seven. They haven't won consecutive games since the first game back after the All-Star Break (twelve games ago). Continuing on a 11-12'1 "second half" pace would result in 90 points. Not going to cut it.

Fortunately for them NYI/CBJ/CAR aren't exactly on fire but home ice in the first round is certainly somewhat doubtful at the very least.

Last edited:
Reactions: OviTaughtMe

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I track patterns for betting and the last stretch has been very interesting.. they're going through identical time as Vegas did early in the year, started from inconsistency/struggling against good teams to blowing it against bad teams and just looking flat. In the same spot Vegas blew it against Detroit giving up a lead losing 3-2, Caps did it against Montreal (the only difference was the Wilson late tying goal). Then Vegas lost for the first time ever against the Hawks who were in a very similar spot as the Devils were today.

Next game Vegas lost to another bad team again in LA (Caps have angry Pens) before breaking through 6-0 against Calgary.

Vegas did turn it around to an extent, but management still decided to fire Gallant couple months later saying the team just didn't 'feel right'.

Have to be curious what the GM is thinking right now, especially since there's some quality coaches available (best i remember really ever at this time of the year). Laviolette has a solid track record with his new teams, and the one time he was hired mid-season by the Flyers they made the cup finals. Gallant is one of those guys who can make a team catch lightning in a bottle and Boudreau is a familiar face for the leaders in the room.

I've been questioning Reirden for a while as the head coach, but thought he proved me wrong in the 1st half. Now? Im not so sure anymore.
Excellent post

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
It's a loser excuse when saying something like, "oh we were in 2nd place 2 weeks ago, so lets calm down".

My point is it started with well relax we are in first in the league. Then progressed to first in the metro. Now it's second in the metro. We should relax while we keep slipping further and further? Ok then!

Reactions: Heath

BigWilly43

May 3, 2018
Maryland
Kempny was benched for a long time after the Devils 1st goal in the first period. Then he takes an ill advised penalty late in the game to put the Caps 2 men down. Say what you want about Jensen, but Kempny looked like he was trying to get back at Reirden for benching him or trying to get Reirden fired. Kempny now makes a case to be traded instead of Jensen.

Oh come on man.... This is just dumb first off, secondly did you not see the cross checking match between Kempny and the other guy? The other guy was also holding Kempny's stick and he just lost his temper. Either way it was a dumb penalty but to say he is "getting back" at Reirden is just bush league.

Reactions: txpd

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
No it's not too late to fire the coach!
Certainly not. Other teams have done it, and successfully. I just doubt Caps ownership and front office will be that aggressive. I hope to be proven wrong, but my guess is, Caps would have to miss playoffs or lose in 1st round again to trigger TR firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad