Post-Game Talk: caps @ devs 1 pm 2/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Certainly not. Other teams have done it, and successfully. I just doubt Caps ownership and front office will be that aggressive. I hope to be proven wrong, but my guess is, Caps would have to miss playoffs or lose in 1st round again to trigger TR firing.

I have concluded that if they lose to the Penguins tomorrow, they will relieve Reirden and MacLellan will take over. If they lose tomorrow, its out of control. Its like when you pull a goalie even though he had no shot to stop the goals against

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Did anyone missed Gudas tonight? I mean the qualities he has, was it visible Caps are missing it?

With Jensen, if he isn't traded he's easily 3RD next year, and an adequate one I think.

But Gudas - I'm disapponted with him lately. Not much impact at the very best.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Certainly not. Other teams have done it, and successfully. I just doubt Caps ownership and front office will be that aggressive. I hope to be proven wrong, but my guess is, Caps would have to miss playoffs or lose in 1st round again to trigger TR firing.
Worked for the Pens and Blues. What do we have to lose? Do we really think this team would be worse with Laviolette or Gallant?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Dillon playing sub-14 minutes was surprising. I know a fair amount of the game was played on the power play, but it’s interesting Dillon wasn’t being used on the penalty kill at all. What is clear is he isn’t currently a stabilising force for Carlson (especially with his somewhat unexpected tendency to join the rush).

Kempny increasingly looks injured - I wonder if HCTR knows his injury from last season is playing up, but they’ve agreed he has to play through it until the offseason? He was flying when he came back towards the start of the season, and he’s visibly struggling to keep up at points now.

Jensen’s decision making is still questionable - there were times tonight where he got in bother, often behind the Caps net, because he didn’t move the puck fast enough due to indecision and suddenly had devils hemming him in. That kinda thing could be costly in the playoffs.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Dillon playing sub-14 minutes was surprising. I know a fair amount of the game was played on the power play, but it’s interesting Dillon wasn’t being used on the penalty kill at all. What is clear is he isn’t currently a stabilising force for Carlson (especially with his somewhat unexpected tendency to join the rush).

Kempny increasingly looks injured - I wonder if HCTR knows his injury from last season is playing up, but they’ve agreed he has to play through it until the offseason? He was flying when he came back towards the start of the season, and he’s visibly struggling to keep up at points now.

Jensen’s decision making is still questionable - there were times tonight where he got in bother, often behind the Caps net, because he didn’t move the puck fast enough due to indecision and suddenly had devils hemming him in. That kinda thing could be costly in the playoffs.
If Dillon is doing things out of character for him on this team, I think that says a lot. Still too early to judge the trade, I mean by all standards he’s a quality D-man.

Reactions: HecticGlow

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did anyone missed Gudas tonight? I mean the qualities he has, was it visible Caps are missing it?

With Jensen, if he isn't traded he's easily 3RD next year, and an adequate one I think.

Did I miss that there was no physical play from the defense? Sure. I missed it. If Gudas doesn't play and Dillon barely plays, they aer pretty soft on the blue line. If they want to be a hard hitting, heavy hockey team, they need Gudas.

Reactions: Heath

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Worked for the Pens and Blues. What do we have to lose? Do we really think this team would be worse with Laviolette or Gallant?

I feel very strongly that Ted wont hire a coach that is currently under contract. They sure as hell don't want Gallant. If they fire Reirden, you are not going to like who coaches the team. It will be MacLellan or the Bears coach or an outside shot that Dale Hunter comes back. It will be somebody inside the house. Imagine if they made one of the Asst. Coaches the interm coach? Heads would explode

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Dillon struggled. His joining the rush is how the Caps d plays. Siegenthaler was below the offensive hash marks over and over today. Jensen's assist on the Ov goal was in the offensive zone left wing corner. If Dillon hung back, he would be the only defenseman doing that

Reactions: HecticGlow

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Kuzy wasn't even in the box anymore when they got scored on. But its still his fault.

Did you see Kuzy on that PK? He was standing about 15 feet in front of the net pointing his stick and telling his teammates who they should be marking. He very much played a role in that goal against.
He is so defensively inept that he should have skated straight from the penalty box to the bench and let an actual PK'er get out there.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think Kuzy initially was trying to give his stick to Nicky. Not that I can explain why one pk forward would give his stick to another pk forward
Nicky is better defensively with a stick than Kuzy would be, so he tried to do the sensible thing to give Nicky his stick. What a mess that was with Kuzy and Kempny both PK'ing, when they normally don't. If the Caps had been able to clear the puck then Kuzy would have had time to get to the bench for an actual PK player. Kempny never would of PK'ed had Gudas been in the lineup(that's the coaches fault).

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Nicky is better defensively with a stick than Kuzy would be, so he tried to do the sensible thing to give Nicky his stick. What a mess that was with Kuzy and Kempny both PK'ing, when they normally don't. If the Caps had been able to clear the puck then Kuzy would have had time to get to the bench for an actual PK player. Kempny never would of PK'ed had Gudas been in the lineup(that's the coaches fault).

Ok that makes sense. My apologies to Mr Kuznetsov for that (but he still needs to play better).

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm puzzled regarding Dillon's playing time. He only got 13:50 and no PK time. Last game he played 20 min including 50 secs of PK time. I don't think these coaches know what they are doing! It's almost like, because Dillon was on the ice for 3 goals against the Habs, the coaches decided to reduce his playing time to rookie type/3rd pairing minutes. It looks like they don't trust him.
From what I heard, everybody was saying good things about Dillon with him working hard and being a good leader. He also just came from the #1 PKing team in the NHL! BMac just traded for this guy to help the D group right away and they kind of bench him already!

The coaches are not on the same page as BMac and the coaches also have a disconnection with the players. Almost the whole coaching staff needs to be fired!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
"Caps" at this point must be short for "capsizing". And this is the soft part of their remaining schedule.

Grats to OV though.

And also, on a much brighter note, OV is 8 goals away from his 9th 50 goal season, which would tie him with Gretzky for 1st. Thats a record he should easily take in the next couple of years.

Last edited:

ToddBrew

Oct 5, 2017
At what point do you have a players-only meeting? Now, right? I mean, what else is needed? Unless they are trying to get HCTR out.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
At what point do you have a players-only meeting? Now, right? I mean, what else is needed? Unless they are trying to get HCTR out.
They likely already have. I mean they did after the first in Colorado. Would be surprising if nobody said anything during the Philly or NYI games. You can only talk so much.

ToddBrew

Oct 5, 2017
They likely already have. I mean they did after the first in Colorado. Would be surprising if nobody said anything during the Philly or NYI games. You can only talk so much.
I’ll close door meeting you!!!

sorry...sorry....this losing streak has me on edge.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

Last year Jensen and a 4 year deal
This offseason Panik 4 year deal
This offseason Hathaway 4 year deal
This offseason getting Gudas who is now getting scratched

Either A LOT of GMBM’s guys are not working lately and just playing poorly - OR they don’t work on Todd’s system.

GMBM has made good moves - but a LOT of his moves lately have not been good or the coach is f***ing it all up.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
That was on Mr. Wilson.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Last year Jensen and a 4 year deal
This offseason Panik 4 year deal
This offseason Hathaway 4 year deal
This offseason getting Gudas who is now getting scratched

Either A LOT of GMBM’s guys are not working lately and just playing poorly - OR they don’t work on Todd’s system.

GMBM has made good moves - but a LOT of his moves lately have not been good or the coach is f*cking it all up.
Hathaway has been a good addition to the 4th line. Agree on Jensen and Panik though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->