Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Nick Jensen and a 2019 5th for Bowey and 2020 2nd, extend him 4 yrs, $10M

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Apparently Jensen is the most prolific exiter of the zone possibly in NHL history
Image-from-iOS-1.png

Detroit Red Wings: Nick Jensen Will Be A Trade Deadline Steal

Puck moving D!

Somewhere, GMGM is gnashing his teeth! Lol.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I don't want to be a debbie downer but all the praise for Jensen doesn't add up.

Everyone says he's an amazing skater, good at moving the puck, defends well, works hard...but then says he's a 4 or 5 defenseman.

Someone like that sounds more like a top pairing defenseman than anything.
He just sounds like a well rounded guy to me

Reactions: Hivemind

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
So Carlson/Niskanen/Jensen is locked in for at least 2 more years barring trades... Orlov/Kempny is locked in for at least another 3 years... all those LHD prospects will be coming soon... and they'll surely attempt to re-sign Orpik if he's willing to keep going.

Jensen just signed to a 4-year deal.

Looking forward to seeing the new guys in action in person on Sunday. Taking my Ranger fan friend. Should be interesting.

Same here. Interested in seeing Hagelin back in the Metro.

Reactions: calicapsfan

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I am higher on Bowie than most here on the dev side. Thought he had improved each of the past couple of years and simply needed playing time and not playing with Orpik. That aside this team is going for another SC and looking at the D depth both in Hershey and in recent drafting they can afford to use him to improve the team for this run. With Niskanen looking like he's lost a step, Orpik likely not being here next year, and RH D depth for this playoff run can't say much against the move.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The Pens or Toronto could have used someone like Jensen, I would think. A puck mover that can get out of the D zone and get the puck to their skilled forwards.

So, this is a very good acquisition in that it helps the Caps and keeps him away from other teams.

Leafs fans thought the price was too steep. Theyve been writing salty posts in the main thread. :laugh:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Less load on 2 and 74 is good thing any way you slice it. If this guy is steady mobile def this could be huge. Niskanen will get better due to added motivation and less load. His trade value will go higher :)

Maybe they go

Orlov-Jensen
Orpik-Carlson
Kempny-Niskanen

Or smth like that. There could be new more effective lineup. Exciting thoughts until he actually steps on the ice.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think they saw what a shitshow their defense was with Djoos out and thought, “Nope, can’t risk it.” I also think they’re similarly down on Niskanen — HCTR and GMBM’s comments were pretty candid about his performance this year — and thought they needed both short and potentially long term reinforcements.

What’s left to be said about BMac? The dude identifies issues and aggressively seeks to fix them. So nice having competent management.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think they saw what a ****show their defense was with Djoos out and thought, “Nope, can’t risk it.”....

I wonder if that Djoos bit fat minus last game was the final straw... it's not just Bowey not fully cooked and ready for full time duty.

We all universally applaud BMac's rapid 4 year extension.... I would have swore that Jerabek was a tad better than Kempny after watching both for a month, so first impressions aren't everything. All I can say is that I cannot recall a bottom player getting that much of a raise / extension so quickly after a trade.

Jensy woke up with a smile this morning, if he slept at all. Meanwhile, Bowey is likely being told he should get a flat inside a walled community...

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
First. I haven't seen any talk at all about the coming expansion draft. This adds to the group to help take that hit.

I tend to agree that we may see more Orpik-Carlson coming. I think another non traditional plan is coming instead of the typical 3 pairs. If they have decided that Niskanen Orlov cant handle matchup duty anymore then Carlson will have to do more of it with Orpik. I think it will be more situational.

It will be interesting to see. I don't think its a straight replace off Djoos, though it might be based on his injury. If its Niskanen and Orlov the fix isn't obvious to me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Less load on 2 and 74 is good thing any way you slice it. If this guy is steady mobile def this could be huge. Niskanen will get better due to added motivation and less load.

The less load part is what I am not understanding. Are they going to take one of them off the penalty kill? I don't see that but if they got Jensen for the pk they only use 2 rd. Is less load more Orpik and Jensen in primary defensive assignments and less Orlov and Niskanen?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
i want to see all logical pairs tested before the season ends, but history shows that coaches loathe aggressively testing out all the pairs. The beauty of doing it on D, vs trying to tackle it among the forward ranks, is that there aren't 1000+ combos to try. It is easy to tackle. Sticks on boards limits the 3 guys to a side and really limits the random pairing generator.

If we had acquired a strong left shot, I would have been interested in seeing Orlov going back to the right side. It took a while for him to acclimate at left but it is an option out there if needed for Todd.

I want to see:

Mega O Pair: Orlov Carlson
Mega D Pair: Orpik Nisky

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The less load part is what I am not understanding. Are they going to take one of them off the penalty kill? I don't see that but if they got Jensen for the pk they only use 2 rd. Is less load more Orpik and Jensen in primary defensive assignments and less Orlov and Niskanen?
Less Niskanen for sure IMO. I think it's obvious looking at the numbers he's the one that most needs to be dialed back some on the PK. Orpik does as well to some extent but that's also a factor of their other LDs not being very good at it either. Niskanen won't be skipped altogether but there's now direct competition and it'll be up to him to respond. That competition also goes for 5-on-5 but it will be somewhat hard to have immediate chemistry with Orlov. Jensen could also potentially battle Niskanen for his limited PP2 time so I see it as mostly injury insurance in a quality top 4 worthy talent with further upside but also serious competition for minutes generally. I do think Carlson could become the primary shutdown pair, perhaps with Orlov. Then Kempny-Jensen could do work from a puck-moving perspective and Orpik-Niskanen could be something that helps Niskanen keep it simple, stay fresh and get a bit of a break mentally. Whichever configuration they go with I'd guess the general goal will be to have three fairly even pairs that could see more even minutes. It's something that could really help down the stretch and beyond in keeping them all fresh.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i want to see all logical pairs tested before the season ends, but history shows that coaches loathe aggressively testing out all the pairs.

This time of year a team needs to win. Playing around and losing games can be asking for trouble. Its not worth it. I am sure they will go thru some different options but trying every possibility and giving them enough games to jell just isn't possible.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Less Niskanen for sure IMO. I think it's obvious looking at the numbers he's the one that most needs to be dialed back some on the PK. Orpik does as well to some extent but that's also a factor of their other LDs not being very good at it either. Niskanen won't be skipped altogether but there's now direct competition and it'll be up to him to respond. That competition also goes for 5-on-5 but it will be somewhat hard to have immediate chemistry with Orlov. Jensen could also potentially battle Niskanen for his limited PP2 time so I see it as mostly injury insurance in a quality top 4 worthy talent with further upside but also serious competition for minutes generally. I do think Carlson could become the primary shutdown pair, perhaps with Orlov. Then Kempny-Jensen could do work from a puck-moving perspective and Orpik-Niskanen could be something that helps Niskanen keep it simple, stay fresh and get a bit of a break mentally. Whichever configuration they go with I'd guess the general goal will be to have three fairly even pairs that could see more even minutes. It's something that could really help down the stretch and beyond in keeping them all fresh.

I’m still curious how Djoos fits in. I’m just not convinced after how well he’s acclimated himself to the NHL game and how much they’ve praised his play and decision making with the puck they’d go out and get a guy that would put Djoos in the press box, especially after Djoos proved he could handle the rigors of the postseason (albeit in a sheltered role). I guess his lack of special teams utility hurts him but that doesn’t seem like enough to remove him from the lineup completely.

It’s why I’m not convinced there isn’t another move coming that would send off one of the current Capitals D. Djoos himself makes some amount of sense as trade bait if they truly are trying to land a big fish at the deadline, more sense than sitting in the press box at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad