Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Nick Jensen and a 2019 5th for Bowey and 2020 2nd, extend him 4 yrs, $10M

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Actually, Orlov does seem to perform better away from Niskanen. Niskanen seems to struggle whoever he is partnered with. Admittedly, this could be a by-product of quality of competition/assignments.

Really, this is a meaningless argument. Changing Orlov's partner obviously changes Niskanen's partner too. If it makes you feel better, just look at it like Niskanen is getting promoted to playing with Orpik.

In this context, competent D play would make me feel better. 9-2 has been underwhelming. And if Orlov has “performed better” away from 9 this year, I can’t recall it that’s for sure.

I said before I’d like to see D pair options tested.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
In this context, competent D play would make me feel better. 9-2 has been underwhelming. And if Orlov has “performed better” away from 9 this year, I can’t recall it that’s for sure.

I said before I’d like to see D pair options tested.

Honestly, neither can I but that's more to say that they both have been poor. Statistically speaking, Orlov gets better away from Niskanen.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Some, not me, don't think he is good. They think Seigenthaler and Lewington and Johansen and others in the system are better.
Sample size and playing when it matters (SCF) ultimately gives the tilt to Djoos. I'm excited but the potential of Siegenthaler, but ultimately it's potential and we're in the point of the season where we really need to start locking our roster down. Lewington and Johansen are the same, it's all the idea of "potential". I can see all 3 of those guys giving us a lot of options next year, but right now we shouldn't be playing around, it's win now mode.

Regardless 10 years ago I couldn't even dream of having a defense so deep.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
To give some credit to Reirden, he does shuffles d-pairs half way through a game when preset combos are not working. For example, while Orlov has played with Niskanen most of the time (786min 5vs5), Orlov does have 332 minutes of 5vs5 time without Niskanen. That's quite a bit.

I too would like to see Jensen get an opportunity on the 2nd pair, even if for a couple games.

Thanks for pointing that out. And I will add that through the natural course of changes, D pairs get shuffled as only one guy can get off sometimes. In the perfect world, D should largely be interchangeable for run of the mill ES shifts. But it takes 2 to tango and some pairs just do better than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: racingmoose

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm not a fan if this trade. I dont mind Jensen but we gave up too much. Good deal for Detroit.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Did you see Scott Stevens' breakdown on Jensen. It was pretty technical. Gap control. Positioning and decisions. Footwork. Stevens seems to really like what he saw. Seemed to think the Caps got a bargain
I didn't, but all of that sounds pretty spot on.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Hey guys Wings fan here....how has Jensen been for you so far? Just curious.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Think everyone is happy - skating seems very smooth, not a huge amount of offensive upside but seems like he'll be a reliable addition for years to come, with a reasonable cap hit to boot.

Apr 6, 2004
As advertised. Injection of speed is evident, solid break-out pass, solid in the corners. I think he fits well and gives us some options moving forward.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

I'll speak for myself on the little i've seen...

his stick positioning is amazing and he's absolutely clutch at knocking the puck off sticks. he's made very few mistakes and on the one he did make (he fanned on a pass) he recovered and broke up the scoring chance.

I think we'll keep him

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Really happy w/Jensen so far, playing like a legit top-4 D-man
good skater, smart decisions with skating/passing out of trouble and breakouts, good 1st passes, seems like good hockey IQ so far, hasn't gotten walked, few turnovers, can join the offense...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Scott Stevens did a video breakdown on Jensen after the trade. Ive mentioned it before. He showed how good he was with gap control, footwork, position, stick position. He barely mentioned his speed as he worked thru his segment.

Facts are that every thing that Stevens pointed out has come to pass. Stevens said the Caps hit a home run and that his contract made it a real bargain. Based on what Ive see with Reirden coaching him, the Caps have stolen another one.

Jensen is better than Kempny now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, saying this makes me happier about the jersey number choice. IMO, Jensen has fit right in an I have seen nothing to doubt the contract extension at all.

You mean that you were afraid that it was insulting to....
Tom-Poti-Jim-McIsaac.jpg

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Scott Stevens did a video breakdown on Jensen after the trade. Ive mentioned it before. He showed how good he was with gap control, footwork, position, stick position. He barely mentioned his speed as he worked thru his segment.

Facts are that every thing that Stevens pointed out has come to pass. Stevens said the Caps hit a home run and that his contract made it a real bargain. Based on what Ive see with Reirden coaching him, the Caps have stolen another one.

Jensen is better than Kempny now.
I looked it up because I was curious.

If you want to hear Scott Stevens say the word "feet", this video is for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad