Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Nick Jensen and a 2019 5th for Bowey and 2020 2nd, extend him 4 yrs, $10M

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You are right. They just signed a guy for 4 years just for fun and giggles and when Rierden is talking about how Jensen will help the PK, he is doing it to mess with me.

How disappointed should I be? Is it OK to cry?

That's not what you will be disappointed about. Jensen is not getting Orpik's sh toi. I doubt he is getting Niskanen's sh toi. Orlov and Kempny

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
That's not what you will be disappointed about. Jensen is not getting Orpik's sh toi. I doubt he is getting Niskanen's sh toi. Orlov and Kempny

Oh, well. What the hell do I know.

We've 5 defensemen who regularly participate on the PK. Per 60 minutes of penalty killing they see the following goals against

I think we should limit the ice time of the two fellas allowing 9.7 and 8.2 goals against per 60 minutes of PK. I'm a revolutionary.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just read that this is NJs third NHL season. Late bloomer, ala Kempny and Djoos, but probably still has upside. Or at least should maintain his 20 minute level for his four year deal.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Jensen is a good player. Very dependable, ultra consistent, brings the same effort every night.

Great skater, poised with the puck (improved so much in this regard), and makes good decisions.

You'll like him. And that deal you signed him for is great value.

Thanks. Appreciate the insight.

Enjoy Bowey. He is a work in progress but the Red Wings have always been good at coaching up D so I hope he works out for you.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't want to be a debbie downer but all the praise for Jensen doesn't add up.

Everyone says he's an amazing skater, good at moving the puck, defends well, works hard...but then says he's a 4 or 5 defenseman.

Someone like that sounds more like a top pairing defenseman than anything.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I don't want to be a debbie downer but all the praise for Jensen doesn't add up.

Everyone says he's an amazing skater, good at moving the puck, defends well, works hard...but then says he's a 4 or 5 defenseman.

Pretty low bar you have there for top pairing defensemen then.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Word for word what they were saying about Kempny last year. Kempny and Jensen are listed at the exact same size, born 2 weeks apart, broke in at 26, career year age 28 year, Corsi and point production same path.

Jun 15, 2007
Pretty low bar you have there for top pairing defensemen then.
You don't think it's weird that a guy is described as having above average defense, above average puck skills, above average effort level and to top it all off elite skating.

But then he's actually an average to below average defenseman? An average defenseman being a 4.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
You don't think it's weird that a guy is described as having above average defense, above average puck skills, above average effort level and to top it all off elite skating.

But then he's actually an average to below average defenseman? An average defenseman being a 4.
Again as someone said, this was actually the same report on Kempny (Actually his was even worse, his was more "he's got a ton of potential"). His whole thing was he was a bottom pairing d-man on a terrible team so surely he can't be good, right?

After the picking up of Kempny and Jerabek (who I am shocked is not playing in the NHL) I tend to defer to GMBM's assessment of under the radar d-men.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I just find it strange they signed him without testing him out first. :dunno:

It would seem wise to let Orpik play with him for a game or 2, and then report in.... but

Maybe it was an under the table handshake precondition type deal that all parties agreed to in advance, including the extension. I feel confident Nic Dowd was involved. Someone wipe his phone just to be safe.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Apparently Jensen is the most prolific exiter of the zone possibly in NHL history
Image-from-iOS-1.png

Detroit Red Wings: Nick Jensen Will Be A Trade Deadline Steal

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Well I've wanted Bowey traded for two years now because I never thought he had the smarts to be an NHL defensemen so I am pumped about this. They also didn't re-sign Jenkins to a 4-year deal to put him on nacho duty... very interesting.

I'm with you. Nothing about Bowey said he was gonna be a solid NHL Dman. Not at all sad about losing him.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
It would seem wise to let Orpik play with him for a game or 2, and then report in.... but

Maybe it was an under the table handshake precondition type deal that all parties agreed to in advance, including the extension. I feel confident Nic Dowd was involved. Someone wipe his phone just to be safe.
It would seem this may have been a player they would have targeted in the off season anyway and he came available at the dead line. That certainly fits the scenario.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I just saw the full deal details

Washington Capitals acquire defenseman Nick Jensen and 2019 fifth-round pick from Detroit Red Wings for defenseman Madison Bowey and 2020 second-round pick.

I didn't know about the 5th, nor the 2nd was a 20.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
RE: Signing Jensen without kicking the tires on him

I actually don't think it's that big of a deal. What's the difference between doing this vs. signing a free agent?

Part of me suspects that the Caps got a team friendly deal out of this. They may have simply floated Jensen a feeler contract and he accepted their first offer. It could have been that they were going to maybe explore it more in the off season if he didn't take their first offer.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Apparently Jensen is the most prolific exiter of the zone possibly in NHL history
Detroit Red Wings: Nick Jensen Will Be A Trade Deadline Steal

Gotta love this quote:

The fact that Jensen is cheap in terms of what a team will have to pay in a trade and what Jensen is making in the final year of his deal ($812,500), he may end up being the steal of the trade deadline. He could be an under the radar add that could truly push a team to a deep playoff run if used correctly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad