Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Brenden Dillon from San Jose for 2020 2nd and (cond.) 2021 3rd rd pick, 50% retained

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Here is a crazy idea. I think Kempny is hurting. He was a difference maker in 2018 when he came over. He was good last year and the team crumbled out of playoffs when he got hurt. Hasn’t been the same. Could we put him on LTIR and rest him for a month. The LTIR would give us a “credit” in cap space allowing us to sign a forward upto 2.5M. Once the playoffs start there is no Cap so he can come back and it won’t impact cap restrictions. If that is bending the rules too much, I still think I would sit Kempny and see if we can’t get him “right”. I’m no Jensen lover, but he has looked better and you aren’t going to move him when making a run. That will have to wait for the offseason.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
More and more in the camp of sitting Siegenthaler and moving Kempny to 3LD to play with Gudas. Siegenthaler is improving and certainly is a big contributor to the PK unit but he is the worst defenseman with the puck on his stick and that's going to be a premium in the playoffs. Kempny can take more PK minutes since his ES minutes will be reduced.

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Gudas

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Just looked up the list of Maclellan's deadline acquisitions for the defense through the years. Man do they look atrocious as hell. Outside of Kempny nobody even came close to really helping the team. Would be cautious about getting excited at this point.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I sort of knew something was going to happen as they started to slide.

I don’t mind it. Dillon is solid and seeing as they have extra picks it's not a tough price to swallow.

Now let's see if they can move Jensen and get another forward.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Just looked up the list of Maclellan's deadline acquisitions for the defense through the years. Man do they look atrocious as hell. Outside of Kempny nobody even came close to really helping the team. Would be cautious about getting excited at this point.
It’s always over priced dumpster diving this time of year. At least we kept then 1st rounder

illpucks

May 26, 2011
On the forward tip, Mike Richards was a deadline acquisition. He had no offensive contribution but was a solid PK guy.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

For what they gave up and for how the Sharks fans say this guy plays why not get excited?

Dillon was number four on the trade bait board and four really good teams were in on him.

I'm excited.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
For what they gave up and for how the Sharks fans say this guy plays why not get excited?

Dillon was number four on the trade bait board and four really good teams were in on him.

I'm excited.

Would you have traded Bura for Dillion? Because that’s that's what we did.
I like the move as long as we don’t change Orlovs or Dillion’s position

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Since the last 2 rental D we got at the deadline we extended I would be shocked if it happens again

Siege is the young Dillon himself. He will be at that level... well, maybe never, maybe in few years.

In Caps situation you resign Dillon if he clicks with Carlson. He's not old yet. Essentially it's the player we hoped Gudas could be... but apparently he is better and can really justify the top-4 slot and salary.

Ofc signing Dillon most probably means he's protected and Siege is not.

Siege would be here longer and for cheap... but his best years are in Ovi's twilight and after most probably.

Now you can still send Siege down to get additional cap space (714k salary and 888k AAV) and bring him up in playoffs if the opponent dictates that (though I think Kempny as 3LD can hold down the fort with less QoC).

So I think it's Kempny-Gudas as overall good 3rd pair. The depth goes crazy then.

I'd still call up Djoos to play with Orlov and trade Jensen tomorrow.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
More and more in the camp of sitting Siegenthaler and moving Kempny to 3LD to play with Gudas. Siegenthaler is improving and certainly is a big contributor to the PK unit but he is the worst defenseman with the puck on his stick and that's going to be a premium in the playoffs. Kempny can take more PK minutes since his ES minutes will be reduced.

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Gudas

Imagine this:

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Petry
Kempny-Gudas

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

The next one after Dillon's was his GM's and he said they talked with him after yesterday (crying episode) and wanted to help him get through this sooner. So Wilson traded him immediately to Caps out of respect :P
But GMBM was ready on the phone, you know, did his part.

Reactions: Calicaps

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Manson would be nice... but its a pipedream.

Brodin would be nice but expensive.

Petry sounds less of a pipedream and less expensive.

DeMelo is gone.

Heh, imagine this D with Manson...

Reactions: Ridley Simon

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Will be interesting to see whether GMBM says this was about primarily addressing the issues, or adding depth. If Kempny or Orlov had gone out yesterday, they didn’t have a LD they were comfortable putting in a top-4 position (Fehervery doesn’t seem quite ready yet, Siegenthaler’s ice time is going down and Djoos is still in the AHL). That’s the same position they were in last year when Kempny went down. This takes the pressure off Kempny a bit, stabilises the third pairing and poses a left-side upgrade on the Kempny-Orlov-Orpik LD that won the Cup.

Jensen is still a problem, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Dillon-Carlson take on more matchup responsibilities, and we see Orlov playing shifts with Kempny and Gudas too.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ive got an idea.

Orlov-Carlson
Dillon-Djoos
Kempny-Gudas

I think we can all agree that Djoos is the best offensive D besides Orlov and Carlson. Maybe he can work with Dillon as his defensive partner.

Actually you can even switch Dillon and Orlov too.

Thats good 1st pair, good 3rd pair and a very underrated 2nd pair.

Jensen... guys, I dont want my head to be absolutely grey.

PS: Vatanen retained for Jensen + assets should be under cap. Vatanen cant be worse than Djoos.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Gudas

This is my preferred lineup as well. I have faith in Jensen's ability to improve between now and the playoffs, he's already looked better in the last 4 games - after being out of the lineup.
I think moving Kempny to bottom 3 will take a lot of pressure off him and he will be less "exposed" with less minutes.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As per usual over the decades, we are a bit overloaded with lefties.

I would like to see Orlov back at RD and sit Jensen. Who they should tell to load up on the protein shakes. And tell Siggy as a D only guy, he needs to be more physical. He should pattern his game on the way Orpik played. Folks busted on D only Orpik but he was a man among boys in our cup securement season because he brought the pain early in games/series's, and changed the way forwards attacked. I'll dump it in next time (code for: turnover).

Try all the logical pairings and see who clicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad