Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Brenden Dillon from San Jose for 2020 2nd and (cond.) 2021 3rd rd pick, 50% retained

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Vantanen is injured so that's not a smart play for any team.

Unless an expensive body is moving out they won't be doing anything else. I can live with Djoos or Fehrevery being the next options on D if needed.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Wondering if Siegenthaler is indeed the odd man out for the Caps if they would consider sending him to Hershey for any period of time? He’s still waiver exempt and might be good for him to get some big minutes and boost his confidence before playoffs. But would also add to a pretty log-jammed D corps in Hershey.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Wondering if Siegenthaler is indeed the odd man out for the Caps if they would consider sending him to Hershey for any period of time? He’s still waiver exempt and might be good for him to get some big minutes and boost his confidence before playoffs. But would also add to a pretty log-jammed D corps in Hershey.
They’ll probably just have some sort of rotation now that they have another NHL caliber player

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
For what they gave up and for how the Sharks fans say this guy plays why not get excited?

Dillon was number four on the trade bait board and four really good teams were in on him.

I'm excited.
I remember quite a few teams were in on Jensen a year ago and this board was excited discussing his incredible advanced metrics. The outcome is well known around here. The guy sucks.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I remember quite a few teams were in on Jensen a year ago and this board was excited discussing his incredible advanced metrics. The outcome is well known around here. The guy sucks.
Dillon isn’t Jensen. Even you can see that, I’d hope.

sure, there is always the possibility that the styles won’t mesh etc. but he’s arguably the best actual *defensman* than the team has acquired at the TDL during the Ovy era. He’s far more capable at D than Shattenkirk was. All his metrics, the eye test, and his own departing fan base will tell you that.

As a Bay Area resident, I’ve seen this guy his whole time here. He is as advertised. And done so for years on good teams. Jensen had one good year on a very bad team.

the 2 situations really are not similar. Save the initial fan base excitement part

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Dillon isn’t Jensen. Even you can see that, I’d hope.

sure, there is always the possibility that the styles won’t mesh etc. but he’s arguably the best actual *defensman* than the team has acquired at the TDL during the Ovy era. He’s far more capable at D than Shattenkirk was. All his metrics, the eye test, and his own departing fan base will tell you that.

As a Bay Area resident, I’ve seen this guy his whole time here. He is as advertised. And done so for years on good teams. Jensen had one good year on a very bad team.

the 2 situations really are not similar. Save the initial fan base excitement part
What does "even" even mean?

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
whatever gets Jensen jettisoned...…:sarcasm: zing pow.

seriously, hopefully they can limit Jensen, Gudas, and the kids from ruining everything by riding the top 4 for most of the playoffs. still need more help

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
After some intarwebz perusing...the cro magnon in me approves. Maybe he’ll be a 20s version of Brendan nittwitt, only more mobile and more willing to chuck rather than duck. Altho, for a brief ( very brief ) period of time, Brendan fit that mold.
On another note, has Maaco returned?

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Kempny and Siegenthaler may share the 3rd pair LD spot. The question is the value of even strength play vs penalty kill. If they prioritize the pk, then Kempny gets the nachos. Kempny is more mobile and a better compliment to Gudas at even strength. I am guessing they rotate.

I also doubt sending Siegenthaler to Hershey would be a confidence boost for Siegenthaler

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Some here have overreacted to Jensen's issues. That he doesn't belong in the league. He is a quality 3rd pair defenseman. The question is can he carry top 4 minutes in a system where the defenseman are aggressive offensively? He has struggled with the offensively part. Move him to Gudas spot and he is fine. Many NHL teams would be happy to have him.

I doubt the Caps give up on him either

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

To be fair, Brenden Dillon is a known quantity whereas Jensen at that time was not since he was only in the NHL for a year or so. More of a gamble. Kempny was a gamble too. Sometimes you just roll snake eyes, but at least you still went for it.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
You tend to be one of the most negative posters on here re: the Caps and their roster.

If the Caps were a glass of water filled to 50%, you’d be in the “it’s half empty” club.

Hence the “even” part.
If everyone was positive and things end up negative everyone would look stupid (works for vice versa too). Also conversations where everyone agrees with each other are dry as hell. As for the topic, I'm not making negativity up out of thin air. Everyone can see now what I'd been talking about when the season started and everything seemed to be good. Dillon might be good and if so, good for him and the team. I've just stated facts: their track record of adding a D at the deadline is somewhere between "below average" and "terrible".
Many NHL teams would be happy to have him.
I'd be happy for them too in that case

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just looked up the list of Maclellan's deadline acquisitions for the defense through the years. Man do they look atrocious as hell. Outside of Kempny nobody even came close to really helping the team. Would be cautious about getting excited at this point.

So much for "sending a message" then, I guess, right?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Some here have overreacted to Jensen's issues. That he doesn't belong in the league. He is a quality 3rd pair defenseman. The question is can he carry top 4 minutes in a system where the defenseman are aggressive offensively? He has struggled with the offensively part. Move him to Gudas spot and he is fine. Many NHL teams would be happy to have him.

I doubt the Caps give up on him either

His ice-time is going down consistently and they just added a guy who is great at the only thing Jensen does well (PK). They are both considered defensive defencemen but obviously Reirden either doesn't trust Jensen that much anymore or he wants someone who is more physical and who can actually play on the ES aswell.

Aren't you the guy who always reads into ice-time as his only argument with Jensen? Why do you think his ice-time is going down?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I like the fact that he made a trade. I'm not sure about the player choice though. Hence the excitement part.

In actuality, I think this Dillon add sends the right message. Given then we can't even remotely decide where to play Dillon, he's been discussed as replacing Kempny, Jensen and Siegs somewhat equally here, it sounds to me like a situation where TR can sit the guy who played poorly last night and keep Dillon in the lineup. Tinker with where he fits best. It means if any one of the three (Kempny, Jens, Siegs) don't step up their game from here on out, they will be the odd man out.

Dillon can play both sides, TR is not Adam Oates, so he should play where ever he is needed most, not where ever his stick handedness dictates. He should play whichever side, for whichever player, is not pulling his weight.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
His ice-time is going down consistently and they just added a guy who is great at the only thing Jensen does well (PK). They are both considered defensive defencemen but obviously Reirden either doesn't trust Jensen that much anymore or he wants someone who is more physical and who can actually play on the ES aswell.

Aren't you the guy who always reads into ice-time as his only argument with Jensen? Why do you think his ice-time is going down?

yup. I am the ice time guy. I would agree with everything you have said here if you are assuming a left shot is going to play the right side? After the deal, I said that Dillon with either play with Carlson or with Orlov and Orlov on the right side. If he is playing with Carlson, Jensen is playing. The right side pk d will remain Gudas and Jensen with Carlson on the 3 on 5.

Based on what Vogs said yesterday, it appears Dillon is with Carlson.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
This is a great add on paper, especially if he'll extend here (and we can make it fit), but I do feel we need another. I don't like Orlov / Jensen on the 2nd pair. It jus has the look of goals against about it. Orlov / Kempny is OK if Kempny can get back to his best. Then Gudas / Jensen, Djoos or Siegs on the 3rd. If we can add another really solid D though who is mobile, strong and smart, then I'd feel much better about our defence.

Then we just need to find Kuzy's spark, get him motivated, and find a new Vrana-esque so that we can spice up that 3rd line a bit and see about firing Panik into the moon, and shift Hagelin to the 4th where he belongs

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If everyone was positive and things end up negative everyone would look stupid (works for vice versa too). Also conversations where everyone agrees with each other are dry as hell. As for the topic, I'm not making negativity up out of thin air. Everyone can see now what I'd been talking about when the season started and everything seemed to be good. Dillon might be good and if so, good for him and the team. I've just stated facts: their track record of adding a D at the deadline is somewhere between "below average" and "terrible".

I'd be happy for them too in that case
I’m not casting judgement on your way of handling yourself on the board. I was just simply answering your question on why I said what I did.

I get it

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
His ice-time is going down consistently and they just added a guy who is great at the only thing Jensen does well (PK). They are both considered defensive defencemen....

Is Jensen a defensive defenseman? I view him as more of a puck moving defenseman. He can shimmy a little bit and he's a decent passer of the puck, but he's not a crease clearing type.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is Jensen a defensive defenseman? I view him as more of a puck moving defenseman. He can shimmy a little bit and he's a decent passer of the puck, but he's not a crease clearing type.

Jensen is s defensive defenseman. Yes. Reirden has said that he is the prototype modern defenseman. By that he means that defensive defensemen must be able to skate and be mobile like a puck mover as opposed to Orpik. Gudas is not mobile enough for Reirden's needs.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Pretty good quote from Todd about what the trade means for his existing Dmen:

Toddy said:
“Now that we have another player here and who knows what else as we get closer to finishing up the deadline here, it creates competition and it’s going to bring out the best in our players, and how do they deal with the adversity?” Reirden said. “Some of these guys haven’t had to go through a lot of adversity this year or within their careers. And now they’re going to have to. We’ll get to see a little bit of the makeup of certain players and how they handle themselves as we make this final push in the last 20 games.”

Basically, it is sending a message, that if you don't start playing the system, playing properly, you can be replaced now. Gotta think this applies to MK6 and Nicky Jensen and maybe Siegs. Give the Caps legit options to bench people for non compliance, whereas Fever just wasn't completely ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad