Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Brenden Dillon from San Jose for 2020 2nd and (cond.) 2021 3rd rd pick, 50% retained

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think nobody's against Jensen personally, just it's easy to see Gudas is going nowhere till June, so the only option to upgrade the defense (which sucks lately) is to fix Jensen somehow. He's getting scapegoated for the gamble GMBM took... or was forced to take with Niskanen's cap hit being too big.

Maybe if we had no Panik there was enough space to play Nisky as 2RD and Jensen as 3RD and everyone would be happy.

Caps loaded up on expensive bottom-6 forwards and didnt get what they hoped on top-4 D. That has to be a mistake by GMBM in the end.

Reactions: RandyHolt

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It's under consideration.

yxACHW8.gif

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, I like Dillon. Great player and certainly a huge upgrade over Siegenthaler. This move doesn't fix anything though. Biggest weakness on this roster remains RD and even if they finally tried to use Gudas as their 2RD you still have an AHL-calibre player as 3RD. Jensen sucks. He's not good enough to play defense in the NHL. Period. Forward maybe but not defense.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yep and thus he needs to play with one. We won a cup with Orpik covering for Djoos. It can be done and I think BMac decided Siggy is just a bit too green to do it himself.

Maybe Dillon Jensen will be an effective pairing.

Caps could land Hedman to play with the guy and Jensen would still blow. Any defense pairing with Jensen on it is gonna suck ass.

Caps should have landed DeMelo, not Dillon. Dillon is better of course but DeMelo is capable of playing top4, too and would have allowed them to finally jettison Jensen. In the meantime, the Jets got him for cheap...

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Caps could land Hedman to play with the guy and Jensen would still blow. Any defense pairing with Jensen on it is gonna suck ass.

Caps should have landed DeMelo, not Dillon. Dillon is better of course but DeMelo is capable of playing top4, too and would have allowed them to finally jettison Jensen. In the meantime, the Jets got him for cheap...

Should have landed both, then Thornton and Marleau. Sharks east ftw

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
have either AA or Fever played any RD in Hershey or before?
Yeah. It's an option.

I think next season will be like

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Fever
Siege-Jensen

Although Fever is waiver exempt... and there is a place for Kempny.

Reactions: um

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
He will get far north of that in UFA. I bet closer to 6m

Well I would be surprised if he got 6 but overpayment happens all the time in the NHL, and I'm not a contract guru by any stretch of the imagination.
Looking on Cap Friendly there are some very good top 4 D-men who are getting 4-5 mill a season. Girard, Orlov, Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin, Theodore, Parayko, and that's just naming a few.
(I'm not saying these guys are better or worse than Dillon for what it's worth).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well I would be surprised if he got 6 but overpayment happens all the time in the NHL, and I'm not a contract guru by any stretch of the imagination.
Looking on Cap Friendly there are some very good top 4 D-men who are getting 4-5 mill a season. Girard, Orlov, Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin, Theodore, Parayko, and that's just naming a few.
(I'm not saying these guys are better or worse than Dillon for what it's worth).

Jake Muzzin just got 4/22.5. Literally today. 5.625m per year from TO. Before hitting FA.

His stats aren’t much different from Dillon’s, nor is his playing style as he’s known as a rugged D first D-man....AND he’s 2 years or so older than Dillon.

Pretry good (bad?) comp. Yeah... it’s Dubas and all, I get it.

But??

Reactions: Heath

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Jake Muzzin just got 4/22.5. Literally today. 5.625m per year from TO. Before hitting FA.

His stats aren’t much different from Dillon’s, nor is his playing style as he’s known as a rugged D first D-man....AND he’s 2 years or so older than Dillon.

Pretry good (bad?) comp. Yeah... it’s Dubas and all, I get it.

But??

Hey more power to Dillon if he can get that. I guess we'll see what happens.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't really have a read on Dillon just yet, but it would be a big win if he fits in the top-4 (especially with Carlson) and can be re-signed for any kind of decent contract. Could be the next Orpik-type presence on D?

On the other hand, I probably like Gudas more than most, so I kind of wonder if re-signing him could actually end up being the best value, especially with Fever and AA still on track to break into the LD ranks.

Although, ofc, if Dillon can be the right partner for Carlson, that kind of trumps everything else.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't really have a read on Dillon just yet, but it would be a big win if he fits in the top-4 (especially with Carlson) and can be re-signed for any kind of decent contract. Could be the next Orpik-type presence on D?

On the other hand, I probably like Gudas more than most, so I kind of wonder if re-signing him could actually end up being the best value, especially with Fever and AA still on track to break into the LD ranks.

Although, ofc, if Dillon can be the right partner for Carlson, that kind of trumps everything else.
Why not both?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Why not both?

Just not sure if there will be enough cap space for both. Especially if the Caps decide to get a somewhat experienced (i.e. not dirt cheap) backup for Samsonov, etc. Also, how are you gonna pay Kovy if he scores 10 playoff goals on the way to winning the Cup?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad