Capitals Rookie & Training Camp

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Oates has said Grabo will get a shot replacing Ribeiro there. I'm sure you'll see it tried at some point during the preseason, and I have to believe he'll end up being better than there Johansson. Of course Erat may be the best fit stylistically for that spot.

Yeah IMO pretty much any semi top 6 quality left shot on the team will be given a shot at that spot. Erat, Grabovski, Johansson, Perreault, and Laich all are possibilities IMO.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Anyone have any idea if they're going to practice much on Friday? I know the initial schedule said 10AM skate around, 11:30 B team practice. I'm tempted to ditch work and see it, but want to know if they might cancel practice, and since I'm a teacher, I have to get a substitute now.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Anyone have any idea if they're going to practice much on Friday? I know the initial schedule said 10AM skate around, 11:30 B team practice. I'm tempted to ditch work and see it, but want to know if they might cancel practice, and since I'm a teacher, I have to get a substitute now.

If you are really interested, your best bet is to ask via twitter to CapsPR or Walton or Vogel and see if there's an updated schedule; have to admit, not sure I'd view it as worth taking the day, especially when you don't know what you'd see and who will even be around at that point.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If you are really interested, your best bet is to ask via twitter to CapsPR or Walton or Vogel and see if there's an updated schedule; have to admit, not sure I'd view it as worth taking the day, especially when you don't know what you'd see and who will even be around at that point.

Eh, taking the day off is always a benefit. :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Vogel reportedly said yesterday that Walker can't be signed and he might be right. Since he played some games in the Czech Republic last season he may fall under the Hyka rule concerning European players. Hershey could sign him to an AHL contract but that perhaps may be it.

Edit: He did play in North America, too, so unclear how he'd be classified.

Laich also practicing on the second line over Erat. It doesn't speak swimmingly of the trade so far but I think it's needed. I haven't really seen much from Erat to this point. He's been okay but that's about it.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Vogel reportedly said yesterday that Walker can't be signed and he might be right. Since he played some games in the Czech Republic last season he may fall under the Hyka rule concerning European players. Hershey could sign him to an AHL contract but that perhaps may be it.

Edit: He did play in North America, too, so unclear how he'd be classified.

Laich also practicing on the second line over Erat. It doesn't speak swimmingly of the trade so far but I think it's needed. I haven't really seen much from Erat to this point. He's been okay but that's about it.

I've answered a few questions on this elsewhere and looked into it some more. Someone mentioned the Vogel comment over at Japers but I didn't hear it. Here's my take:

The only remaining question I have is the one that you raise and that is does the split season in Europe and NA mean he does or does not qualify to be signed.

He came over and played in NA (USHL) last season and went unclaimed in the draft. Unless there’s some fine print I haven’t seen with him playing part of last season in Europe, all the clause says is “had played hockey in North America the prior season,” so I assume he’s eligible to be signed. Last time he attended camp in 2012 with Caps on a tryout he wasn’t eligible to be signed due to his age and not playing in NA (like the Hyka Philly example a few years ago.)

8.9: Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he: A “Bona Fide Offer” is an offer of an SPC which is for a period corresponding to (i)had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season. (ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season). (iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season…

Thank you to Nate Ewell for assisting me in getting an answer from the USHL!

As I thought, if he signs a pro contract he cannot be assigned to the USHL. His pro experience is not an issue because it is not an active/current contract. A current pro contract, however, would prevent an assignment/addition of a player to USHL roster.

I also went back and looked at the CHL import draft tracker for the last few years and saw no evidence that he had ever been drafted by a CHL team via the import draft.

So, if I’m reading 8.9 correctly and his split season qualifies him as playing in NA, based on his age and other factors, his options are to sign a pro contract and turn pro or to not sign a contract and return to the USHL (or go back to Europe if he wanted to but all signs point to USHL Youngstown for the non-pro option.)

Posted this below a few posts later, but want it here, too, I haven't changed anything above, but

According to Mike Vogel via twitter replies, the split season for Walker between Europe and NA makes him ineligible to be signed to an NHL contract at this time.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think you are both reading too much into who is practicing where. laich's first full day of training camp is a sign of erat fail? really? I fully suspect you will see erat play all three top three line LW slots this season. let it play out....I mean...a little before you jump to conclusions.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Ok update to a couple of posts above. According to Mike Vogel via twitter replies, the split season for Walker between Europe and NA makes him ineligible to be signed to an NHL contract at this time.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think you are both reading too much into who is practicing where. laich's first full day of training camp is a sign of erat fail? really? I fully suspect you will see erat play all three top three line LW slots this season. let it play out....I mean...a little before you jump to conclusions.

You didn't hear? The "Jump to Conclusions" mat was the season ticket holder gift this year...

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Biggest surprise to me is that Cajkovsky is still on the roster based on news of latest cuts.

Training camp roster after the latest cuts: 41

23 Forwards: Backstrom, Beagle, Brouwer, Burakovsky*, Byers***, Chimera, Erat, Fehr, Grabovski, Johansson, Laich, Latta, Mitchell, Ovechkin, Perreault, Rechlicz, Stoa, Taffe***, Volpatti, Walker****, Ward, Wellman, Wilson*

14 Defensemen: Alzner, Cajkovsky***, Carrick**, Carlson, Erskine, Green, Hillen, Kundratek, Oleksy, Orlov, Schilling, Schmidt, Strachan, Wey

4 Goaltenders: Grubauer, Holtby, Leggio, Neuvirth

Notes:
1* Slide rule if sent to juniors / don’t play in 10 NHL GP (2)
2** Unsigned draft pick (1)
3*** Hershey contract (3)
4**** Free agent (1)

Note: NHL contracts no longer in camp: Anderson, Brouillette, Deschamps, Flemming, Galiev, Genoway, Kolomatis, Leblanc, Segal, Watkins

NHL contract count = 46, if counting the two teenager contracts, which can slide.

Caps Crazy

Feb 12, 2009
Biggest surprise to me is that Cajkovsky is still on the roster based on news of latest cuts.

Training camp roster after the latest cuts: 41

23 Forwards: Backstrom, Beagle, Brouwer, Burakovsky*, Byers***, Chimera, Erat, Fehr, Grabovski, Johansson, Laich, Latta, Mitchell, Ovechkin, Perreault, Rechlicz, Stoa, Taffe***, Volpatti, Walker****, Ward, Wellman, Wilson*

14 Defensemen: Alzner, Cajkovsky***, Carrick**, Carlson, Erskine, Green, Hillen, Kundratek, Oleksy, Orlov, Schilling, Schmidt, Strachan, Wey

4 Goaltenders: Grubauer, Holtby, Leggio, Neuvirth

Notes:
1* Slide rule if sent to juniors / don’t play in 10 NHL GP (2)
2** Unsigned draft pick (1)
3*** Hershey contract (3)
4**** Free agent (1)

Note: NHL contracts no longer in camp: Anderson, Brouillette, Deschamps, Flemming, Galiev, Genoway, Kolomatis, Leblanc, Segal, Watkins

NHL contract count = 46, if counting the two teenager contracts, which can slide.

Do we know which 8 defensemen are schedule to dress for pre-ganme skate tomorrow night? I understand only 6 will actually play. I am assuming it could include mix of youth and seasoned vets for the last time as Hershey Camp starts on Monday.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok update to a couple of posts above. According to Mike Vogel via twitter replies, the split season for Walker between Europe and NA makes him ineligible to be signed to an NHL contract at this time.

Booo. :(

Wonder if he'll be drafted in 2014? Guess it still depends on how this upcoming season goes. But his stock has certainly risen during this camp.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Reading up it seems Caj has been pitted against Wilson for much of camp and seems to be turning heads. Certainly sticking around speaks for itself.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Watching the Caps Alumni Game feed on Monumental Network.

Hilarious old man hockey. Someone get Ref9 some skates!

But it's awesome that Bengt-Ake is playing.

EDIT: Bummer tho that Bondra couldn't play.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Could he sign with Hershey?

I know of no reason he couldn’t sign an AHL/ECHL deal, but an NHL contract is not an option at this time. He has to go through the NHL entry draft again next June.

NHL level: I thought the split season may have changed things, although I did note all along I wasn't sure. Ends up I missed something in the details of the CBA as it actually does define prior as a full season, sorry about that.

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season. (ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season). (iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season. (iv) The words “eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft†in subparagraph (b) above mean “eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft.†The words “the prior season†in subparagraph (i), (ii) and (iii) above mean “a full season prior to the last Entry Draft.â€

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Reading up it seems Caj has been pitted against Wilson for much of camp and seems to be turning heads. Certainly sticking around speaks for itself.

I've read and I've watched, I'm still surprised he wasn't part of the latest round of cuts, that's all. I expect he'll be in Hershey soon enough with HBH's camp opening sometime early next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad