Capitals Rookie & Training Camp

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
“Yesterday I had a big, really aggressive acupuncture session and today I had a little inflammation from that, a little soreness from that,” Laich said. It “could have contributed to some of the pain out there. So now it’s going to be a day-by-day thing. It’s not a thing that I’m really concerned about, it should come back fairly quickly and once I start to feel really good off the ice I’ll go back on the ice.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...laich-leaves-practice-with-lower-body-injury/

:facepalm:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 2m
McPhee credits winning for turning DC into a hockey market. He says the players have accomplished a lot, "now they have to win a Cup."

Did he say it correctly, or is their not enough emotion in it for you to say he truly wants to win a cup?

Liberati0n*

Too bad Laich isn't eligible to sign a two-year extension. </Poti'd>

Can we all agree to reappropriate the nerd joke to Laich in Poti's absence?

Not that anyone else cares about that joke. :whatever:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 30s
Oates: "Troy Brouwer, we're going to ask to score a lot of goals"

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 1m
Oates on Ovi on RW: It got him used to touching the puck more and wanting the puck more. Thankful that "he trusted me enough" to move to RW

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 1m
Oates said Caps still not sure about logistics for Ovi doing OLY thing in Greece, making Caps 1st game.

I'm still trying to figure out why they bring 96 players and don't do scrimmages.

Also, Erat being moved to group B means he won't play the Winnipeg game doesn't it?

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 1m
#Caps GMGM on Bmore Hockey Classic "If there's more risk than we're comfortable with then we won't play in the future."

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 3m
#Caps GMGM on Bmore Hockey Classic ice "We expect after one experience there that it will be a lot better"says they've made a lot of changes

Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps 1m
Yes and congratulations, you may be the only one who even noticed. More from me a bit later on that. @Rtfreese F-16 at center?

I figured it was because Beagle was on Team A. If we're beta testing players at center, shouldn't it be MoJo?

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
From a few days ago...Carrick looms as Hershey Bears roster wild card:
There is a possibility that Carrick could be ticketed for Hershey instead of a return to the OHL with Plymouth.

“We're still talking about that,†Caps head coach Adam Oates said. “He's obviously had a great summer. It's one of the subjects we're talking about.â€...

“I love him,†Bears head coach Mike Haviland said. “He's a smart player. I was very impressed in prospects camp with him. I thought he was one of the best guys for me in prospects camp that I noticed.

“He's a young kid who has poise with the puck and makes really good decisions. He plays with an edge. I certainly think he has a legitimate chance of certainly, hopefully, maybe starting with us in Hershey. I think it would be a great opportunity for the young man. We'll see how [NHL] camp goes here for him. Certainly, I agree with Adam. He is certainly somebody who has impressed me and is very, very noticeable in a lot of areas.â€
It's going to be a very crowded blueline in Hershey's camp so for him to put himself in the mix as main camp begins is impressive.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Last edited:

Liberati0n*

I finally figured out who(m) Patrick Wey looks like.

More-Jim-Caviezel-jim-caviezel-32435302-533-667.jpg

Hopefully he's not a Rick Santorum supporter too.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
"We think there's lots of upside there," McPhee said. "It buys him more time to prove himself, and playing on that line that he's playing on now he'll probably earn a lot of points and be able to get a bigger deal."

That's Johansson's plan.

"Somehow we work well together," he said of himself, Backstrom and Ovechkin. "I think we understand each other well from the start, but the more you play together you know where everybody is going to be at in different situations. The more you play together, the better you're going to be. It worked from the start and just got better and better. It's a pretty good feeling."

Johansson ready to make best of 'bridge contract'

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Right wing Eric Fehr and left wing Martin Erat are the subject of Oates’ fall projects in Caps’ camp. A Hall of Fame center during a playing career that stretched just shy of two decades, Oates knows a thing or two about what it takes to play center in the NHL. And he thinks Fehr and/or Erat might have The Middle Stuff, though he also uses the word “experiment” more than once during the discussion.

OATES OPTS TO EXPERIMENT UP THE MIDDLE

We'll see where this goes.

Strange though that Erat was playing wing during the practice today, with Perreault...

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

Oates says Mitchell has a "very good" chance of making the NHL (in general).

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Over the next 24 hours or so, the three-time Hart Memorial Trophy winner and coach of the Washington Capitals spent time on the ice, in front of Oates’ computer watching an Ovechkin highlight video of last season and finally at a chic Moscow restaurant watching a World Cup qualifier with Ovi’s boys.

“He came to me,” Ovechkin said on the first day of training camp, sounding genuinely moved that Oates crossed two continents to visit him at home. “He work out with me. He show me some things. He showed me highlights and talk to me.”

Asked what Oates communicated that day, Ovechkin replied, “He told me I had good season, but I could be better.”

That’s about right, Oates confirmed.

“I showed him highlights of the first time he made the switch,” to the right side of the ice, Oates said. “I showed him some of the places he had success on the ice he might not have known about. Then we worked on some power-play stuff with a good friend of his that’s a quality goalie.

But Oates giving up a bit of his summer to fly six hours to Munich for a lengthy layover before another three-hour flight to Moscow — all told a five-day trip that included a visit with Capitals’ star-in-waiting Evgeny Kuznetsov — is the kind of proactive move that engenders real trust among great players, most of whom just want two things from their direct supervisors: brutal honesty and occasional affirmation that they really are special.

“For me I just wanted to see what his world was like and also to let him know that he needs to keep adding to his game,” Oates said. “A lot of times with a guy like that you plant a seed and they’ll figure it out on their own.”

“He can be much, much better,” the coach said. “I look at him as still a player in transition. He’s still young; he’s still getting stronger. He knows the game. I think he’s at a place that if we can find more ways for him to score, I’d love to also see him create more chances for his teammates. It’s not necessarily a numbers thing; it’s more an evolvement of the game.”

Ovechkin agreed he can get better in this his ninth NHL season.

“I feel still young,” he says when asked if he is beginning to feel like one of the old guys on the roster. “I’m still only 27. I’m going to be 28 in five days. I feel good. I’m very excited.”

When asked what Oates’ visit to Moscow meant to him, he added, “It means a lot. He said he was going to do it after the season and he came. We talk about culture, the differences in countries, everything. I think it’s good for both of us.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...5be404-1bfd-11e3-8685-5021e0c41964_story.html

Oates was a great choice.

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 10m
#Caps GMGM on Kuznetsov "We don't quite have all the data we'd like to have for that and we're working on that...continued

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 11m
...We talked to him 5 days ago and we talked to him again today and he's out probably 4-to-6 weeks...continued

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 11m
... and when we learn a little bit more about what went on, we'll share it with you."

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 9m
#Caps GMGM says "there's regular comminucation" with Kuznetsov, talked about how Oates visited with him over the summer

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Yeah just finished reading that/the twitters. Have to say Oates really impresses with his approach to help players refine their game. Great to know he visited with AO and Kuz over the summer.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
You guys got any idea who will be going to Bellville?

I believe the Jets roster will look like this:

Team A

Kane Schiefele Setoguchi
Wright Slater Tangradi
Thorburn Albert Brassard
Koasmchuk Petan Lipon

Trouba Morrissey
Bogosion Redmond
Melchiori Chiarot

Olkinuora
Pasquale

Is it also your Team A?

Team A

MJ - NB - AO
Erat - Grab/Laich - Brouwer
Volp - Beagle - Wilson
Watkins, Wellman, Whitmore, Galiev

Alzner - Green
Hillen - Oleksy
Haar - Carrick
Strachan - Schmidt

Grubauer/Holtby

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You guys got any idea who will be going to Bellville?

I believe the Jets roster will look like this:

Is it also your Team A?
Pretty much. Grabovski & Laich won't play. One of Wellman, Watkins or Galiev will likely sit, as will one of the D pairs. Chandler Stephenson will play.

Perhaps we'll see Erat line up at center.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
This is not a Grabovski thread (or a thread about people who post about Grabovski), and it's not going to become one. Keep your posts related to Capitals training camp.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Erat's on team B.
Yeah, he was moved there yesterday but someone needs to take Laich's spot. Edit: Looks like it's Walker.

@VogsCaps: Four #Caps will play in their first NHL preseason game tomorrow: Carrick, Schmidt, Stephenson and Walker.

And from yesterday...

@VogsCaps: Group A is on the ice for start of practice. Forwards: 90-19-8, 21-17-20, 24-83-43, and Byers-Wellman-Galiev. #Caps

So I guess we'll see:

Johansson - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Walker - Stephenson - Brouwer
Volpatti - Beagle - Wilson
Byers - Wellman - Galiev

Alzner - Green
Hillen - Oleksy
Schmidt - Carrick

Holtby
Grubauer

Possible they split up Schmidt-Carrick.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 16m
Grabovski will be in Belleville, Ont. with the #Caps. Hasn’t been decided if he will meet them there or fly to DC and travel Sat a.m.

Then why isn't he playing...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad