Capitals Rookie & Training Camp

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Preseason Calendar Information

press release

Rookie Schedule press release

Rookie Camp: Opens on Wed/Sept 4 new date (note, now a practice on afternoon of the 4th, the date players report)
Rookie Scrimmage: vs Flyers at Kettler on Monday, Sept. 9, at 3pm
Main Camp: On-ice starts 9/12
Alumni game: Capitals Alumni Game at Kettler Capitals Iceplex on Thu, Sept. 19 at 7 pm
Capitals Convention: Sept. 21, Sat.

Caps preseason schedule:
Sept 14, Sat, 7pm vs Jets at Belleville, ON
Sept 16, Mon, 7pm at Flyers
Sept 17, Tue, 7pm Baltimore Hockey Classic at Baltimore Arena vs Boston
Sept 20, Fri, 7pm vs Blackhawks
Sept 23, Mon, 7pm at Bruins
Sept 25, Wed, 7pm vs Nashville
Sept 27, Fri, 7pm vs Flyers
Sept 28, Sat, 8pm at Blackhawks

Season Opener: Oct 1, Tue, at Chicago
Home Opener: Oct 3, Thu, vs Calgary

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
(will update as information is confirmed)

Known Free Agent Invites to Rookie Camp and/or Training Camp

Forwards

Chance Braid, Prince Albert/WHL; attended '13 development camp, source for invite news
TJ Foster, Edmonton/WHL, attended '13 development camp, WHL eligibility is completed, might play at U of Alberta
Blake Gal, former Spokane Chiefs player, WHL eligibility is completed, possible will play CIS hockey at Saint Francis
Zach Harnden, Western/CIS
Justin Larson, Waterloo, /CIS
Boston Leier, Medicine Hat/WHL
Rob Linsmayer, Holy Cross/NCAA (played Idaho/ECHL pro at end of season)
Domenic Monardo, Lake Superior/NCAA elig. completed
Nathan Walker, USHL Youngstown Phantoms (attended Caps development camp in '12)

Defensemen
Matt Petgrave, Oshawa/OHL; OHL eligibility completed, committed to play at UNB/CIS

Goaltenders
Louis-Philip Guindon, Drummondville/QMJHL

As in past years, many of the players under contract with HBH will attend camp, not going to list HBH and Reading invited players here. Also, some of the players who attended the July development camp will attend. Some of these players were reported to have been extended training camp invites already, will update the list with some of those names soon.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Not sure where to post this, is there a news and notes thread anymore?

Tom Wilson to attend NHLPA Rookie Showcase in Toronto on 8/27

source

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Hmmm, hadn’t noticed this addition to the CBA. As a result of a tweet from Carolina reporter Chip Alexander, I went looking and found something in the CBA about a new rookie orientation program.

"15.12 Rookie Orientation Program. The NHL and NHLPA agree to jointly sponsor an annual Rookie Orientation Program (“ROPâ€) in each off-season. The purpose of the ROP is to educate Players regarding the challenges they may face as an NHL Player and the life skills they will need to develop in order to meet those challenges. The NHL and NHLPA will meet each year and agree upon the location, duration, agenda and format for the ROP. Following consultation with the NHL and NHLPA, each Club shall select up to three (3) Entry Level Players who are expected to be playing in the NHL for a significant period of time in the upcoming season to attend each ROP. Costs of the ROP will be shared equally by the NHL and NHLPA."

The Alexander tweet: @ice_chip

Elias Lindholm at RCI today but not skating. Says leaving with Murphy tomorrow to attend rookie orientation program in Washington.

So perhaps another NHL off-season ‘event’ taking place in the DC area this week???

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Preseason Calendar Information

press release

Rookie Camp: Opens on Thursday, Sept. 5
Rookie Scrimmage: vs Flyers at Kettler on Monday, Sept. 9, at 3pm
Main Camp: On-ice starts 9/12
Alumni game: Capitals Alumni Game at Kettler Capitals Iceplex on Thu, Sept. 19 at 7 pm
Capitals Convention: Sept. 21, Sat.

Caps preseason schedule:
Sept 14, Sat, 7pm vs Jets at Belleville, ON
Sept 16, Mon, 7pm at Flyers
Sept 17, Tue, 7pm Baltimore Hockey Classic at Baltimore Arena vs Boston
Sept 20, Fri, 7pm vs Blackhawks
Sept 23, Mon, 7pm at Bruins
Sept 25, Wed, 7pm vs Nashville
Sept 27, Fri, 7pm vs Flyers
Sept 28, Sat, 8pm at Blackhawks

Season Opener: Oct 1, Tue, at Chicago
Home Opener: Oct 3, Thu, vs Calgary

**PSA alert**

Sk8 and others, all of this info and more! can be yours, right there on your handy mobile devices and other electronic gadgetry. Just visit this thread and subscribe to the Cali Calendar!

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
@CapitalsPR

FYI #Caps add additional practice to the team’s rookie camp schedule, which will now begin on Wednesday, Sept. 4 (4:15 pm practice at KCI)

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Not surprised to read that goalie Guindon was invited to return for rookie camp.

"D'ici là, six joueurs des Voltigeurs s'envoleront vers des camps professionnels au cours des prochains jours. Le départ d'Olivier Archambault (invité par Minnesota), Matthew Boudens (invité par Montréal), Jérome Verrier (invité par Winnipeg), Christophe Lalancette (repêché par San Jose), Nikolas Brouillard (invité par San Jose) et Louis-Philip Guindon (invité par Washington) laissera la place à quelques joueurs affiliés pour les deux derniers matchs préparatoires. Du lot, seuls les attaquants de 20 ans Archambault et Boudens sont éligibles à faire le saut dans les rangs professionnels mineurs dès cette saison. Les Voltigeurs espèrent vivement le retour du second." source

addn: and same with dman Petgrave, source

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Speculation about rookie camp roster based on availability, Caps info., NHL.com listings indicating some players still under tryout contracts and general numbers invited to '11 rookie camp.'11 roster info.

** tryout; (#) is number worn last time attended a Capitals camp

Forwards
Chance Braid, Prince Albert/WHL (63)**
Andre Burakovsky, Erie/OHL (65)
TJ Foster, Edmonton/WHL (3)**
Blake Gal (#), former Spokane Chiefs player, WHL elig. is completed, possible will play CIS hockey at Saint Francis
Boston Leier, Medicine Hat/WHL (75)**
Chandler Stephenson, Regina/WHL (17)
Taylor Stefishen, Univ of Calgary/CIS (96)
Nathan Walker, Youngstown/USHL (wore 15 at ’12 devcamp)**
Tom Wilson, Plymouth/OHL (43)

maybe based on nhl.com, playing status, etc.
Zach Harnden, Western Ontario/CIS (46)**
Justin Larson, Waterloo/CIS (33)**
Rob Linsmayer, NCAA elig. completed (97)**
Domenic Monardo, NCAA elig. completed (15)**

Defensemen
Madison Bowey, Kelowna/WHL (55)
Michal Cajkovsky (47)** (AHL contract)
Connor Carrick, Plymouth/OHL (58)
Garrett Haar, Portland/WHL (39)
Tyler Lewington, Medicine Hat/WHL (77)
Matt Petgrave, OHL elig. completed, committed to play at UNB/CIS, (40)**
Jaynen Rissling, Calgary/WHL (28)
Nate Schmidt (88)
Pat Wey (56)

Goaltenders
Brandon Anderson (78)
Louis-Philip Guindon, Drummondville/Q (1)**

Doubtful
F Stephane Legault (13)?** listed on nhl.com but announced not planning to play hockey this season
D Michael Monfredo (79)?** not listed on NHL.com under Caps
G Sergei Kostenko (57)?**

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
2013 Washington Capitals Rookie Camp Guide

Link to roster

I haven't finished my review, but pretty sure it matches what I have listed above with Legault not attending as one would assume based on his recent updates. Note, Walker’s assigned #79 with Monardo wearing #15 more recently and also attending the camp. Gal assigned #89.

update: So, roster was accurate, the doubtfuls aren't attending, others listed are.

Information about the scrimmage on Monday. link

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Excellent work as always SK8.

I took Friday and monday off and I hope to sneak in some Kettler time. I am eyeballing that 10am friday practice and probably the scrimmage. I may go over during lunch wed or thurs to see if I run into any players. Or HF Fanatics. ;)

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Excellent work as always SK8.

I took Friday and monday off and I hope to sneak in some Kettler time. I am eyeballing that 10am friday practice and probably the scrimmage. I may go over during lunch wed or thurs to see if I run into any players. Or HF Fanatics. ;)

Thanks.

Sounds good, look forward to your updates. By the way, I still have no clue who you are :) some day ;)

I expect the group of Caps players skating will get bigger each day with the number of players arriving in town. Curious what time they are skating.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
These are combos only not positional (although I tried to start to slot guys in based on known positions; it's not based on actual line drills, but just based on forward jerseys worn on Thursday morning during testing and drills.)

Forwards
Red: Stephenson Burakovsky Wilson
Green: Walker Monardo Foster
Gray: Harnden Larson Leier
White: Braid Stefishen Linsmayer Gal (extra skater)

Caps Crazy

Feb 12, 2009
These are combos only not positional (although I tried to start to slot guys in based on known positions; it's not based on actual line drills, but just based on forward jerseys worn on Thursday morning during testing and drills.)

Forwards
Red: Stephenson Burakovsky Wilson
Green: Walker Monardo Foster
Gray: Harnden Larson Leier
White: Braid Stefishen Linsmayer Gal (extra skater)

Any defensive pairings visible at this time?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Large group of vets skating this morning before the scheduled rookie practice.

During rookie practice, there were a few drills where there were some identifiable D pairs, but also there are 9 D.

What I saw:

Schmidt Wey
Cajkovsky Carrick
Haar Bowey
Lewington Petgrave
Rissling rotating in?

Flip Walker and Foster from what I have above, as it looked like Foster was the one lining up at center but that's based on limited drills on one day.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Training camp roster.

You can come to main camp...and you can come to main camp...and you can come to main camp. Everybody is coming to main camp!

Bad bad bad.

Carlson and Erskine together on Team B.

Or possibly good, because Orlov is on Team B.

Confusing lineup, Beagle + Volpatti team A, the rest of the bottom 6 is Team B, but its easy to see the rest of the Bottom 6 is more skilled than the Beagle and Volpatti.

Looks like we will see Carrick + Schmidt pairing during the preseason if they do play.

Wilson is Team A, Burakovsky is Team B. Possibly can say this means they think Burakovsky is the better of the two.

Really confusing why you would take this many people if there isn't scrimmages.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am going to slip on my old Holt jersey and see if I can blend in with the herd

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wouldn't draw any conclusions re: Burakovsky's placement. Wilson would seemingly draw into a line with Volpatti & Beagle. It will sort itself out in time but I don't really see any reason to keep Wilson as a fourth-liner.

They do start off with three games in four nights so I can somewhat understand a larger than normal roster initially. It also helps Haviland get used to what he's got prior to Hershey's camp opening. After the Boston game on Tuesday they'll likely trim down considerably. Still, that's a lot of players and I would think they'd dress quite a few actual roster players in the Belleville & Baltimore games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad