Capitals Rookie & Training Camp

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would guess its against protocol for a player not to get his team physical and testing done first for insurance reasons?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Heh Callahan apparently tore his labrum... Probably did it when he elbowed Hillen and then did a head snap dive during game 6.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Now I remember why I unfollowed Sky... Too many Nats tweets.

“I’ve never seen him play, and there’s a chance he’s going to be playing for us,” Oates said of Kuznetsov. “I wanted to, kind of a goodwill thing, just to let him know that we care. Just a chance to watch and experience some more hockey over there.”

Oates watched Kuznetsov play in two KHL games, and they had dinner together twice. Kuznetsov — whose English is good, according to Oates — reminded the coach of Ovechkin, with an outgoing and engaging personality. He wasn’t there to lobby Kuznetsov about joining the Capitals, but just so they could get to know each other.

“No pressure; it was good just to watch the hockey — I’ve never been over there, too,” Oates said. “At first I was a little worried that [KHL officials] might get upset I was there, but he’s told them he’s leaving. He took charge, he took care of us, got us a hotel room.

“He’s anxious. He wants to test himself with the best, is what he said, which is a huge compliment,” Oates said. “Obviously he’s thought about it, because he’s well taken care of over there and he wants to see what he can do in our hockey.”

Adam Oates’s ‘goodwill’ visit with Evgeny Kuznetsov

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 10m
The Grabovski situation isn’t resolved as the #Caps thought. He’ll meet the team in Ont., but remain in Toronto for an additional mtg Mon.

:facepalm:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
As I was scanning my Twitter feed this morning, I noticed the NHL's public relations team shared via Twitter a NHL UNIFORM GUIDELINES graphic and stated that these rules would be strictly enforced this year. When I sat down to write up this blog post, the tweet was gone.

Not sure why they deleted it, but I grabbed everything beforehand so I can still share it here with you guys. The reason is I thought some of the rules were interesting and if it's being "strictly enforced," does that mean a player can now sit in the box for an improper uniform?

First, here's the exact text of the now removed tweet:

@PR_NHL As directed by GMs, and w/ player safety in mind, there will be strict enforcement of uniform guidelines this season pic.twitter.com/dYgoKKRKXp

NHL Tweets (Then Deletes) Uniform Rules

Ovechkin has the jersey tuck and the sleeves being too high. I think it was during the Boston series that a referee complained to him about the high sleeves.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brodeur is somehow involved.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
How has Walker been looking at camp so far?
He was pretty good in the rookie game but I thought he struggled maybe most of all with the pace in the pre-season game tonight. Tough competition and a pretty fast team in Winnipeg but hard to say whether he'll be signed or end up back in Youngstown. He did have an assist and has shown a lot of things at times but doubtful he's ready for the AHL. For a little guy he'll need to continue to get faster and get those MSL tree trunks.

Good to see Schmidt, Carrick, Stephenson & Galiev in higher pace games. Looking forward to seeing what Burakovsky, Latta & Mitchell can do.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
More cuts:

@VogsCaps: More #Caps cuts: G Anderson, Gill; D Brouillette, Flemming, Wellar; F Johnson, Monardo, Syner and Whitmore. Roster at 49 (29 F, 16 D, 4G).

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Here’s my summary of the training camp roster after the weekend cuts:

29 Forwards: Backstrom, Beagle, Brouwer, Burakovsky*, Byers***, Chimera, Deschamps, Erat, Fehr, Galiev, Grabovski, Johansson, Laich (inj), Latta, Leblanc, Mitchell, Ovechkin, Perreault, Rechlicz, Segal, Stephenson**, Stoa, Taffe***, Volpatti, Walker****, Ward, Watkins, Wellman, Wilson*

16 Defensemen: Alzner, Cajkovsky***, Carrick**, Carlson, Erskine, Genoway, Green, Hillen, Kolomatis, Kundratek, Oleksy, Orlov, Schilling, Schmidt, Strachan, Wey

4 Goaltenders: Grubauer, Holtby, Leggio, Neuvirth

Notes:
1* Slide rule if sent to juniors / don’t play in 10 NHL GP (2)
2** Unsigned draft pick (2)
3*** Hershey contract (3)
4**** Free agent (1)

Note: NHL contracts no longer in camp (3): Anderson, Brouillette, Flemming

NHL contract count = 46, if counting the two teenager contracts, which can slide.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I realize you haven't even see Grabo yet, but do you think Grabo or Johansson would be on the 1st PP?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Oates has said Grabo will get a shot replacing Ribeiro there. I'm sure you'll see it tried at some point during the preseason, and I have to believe he'll end up being better than there Johansson. Of course Erat may be the best fit stylistically for that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad