Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers - Game 2 - May 2, 2015 (SERIES TIED 1-1) Mod Message #226

Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Found these interesting...

Boyle on Kreider:

“He’s the fastest player I’ve ever played with by far, and I’ve played with some pretty fast players,†veteran defenseman Dan Boyle said. “Possibly the strongest.â€

Brass on Hank:

“He was pretty pissed off after the game, Game 1,†Brassard said of the team’s devastating buzzer-beater loss Thursday. “And he came back tonight. I thought he played pissed off.â€

Article:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/36643/inspired-rangers-power-past-ovechkin-capitals

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
And did I seriously read someone say fast has more offensive ability to his game than Carl Hagelin? Lol

He does, actually. He was the leading goal scorer for his team in Sweden his final non-NA year. He has 17g in 48 AHL GP during his last AHL season -> Prorates to 29 goals over a full season.

His wrist shot hasn't adjusted to NHL-quality yet, but I think that will change with his track record of scoring. In 3 years, he could be the Rangers first line player IMO.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
While our usual edge in G is decreased to some extent with nearly every playoff game because each netminder tries to play up to his top game and teams make a more concerted effort at D, Holtby can be tough, when at his best, but is beatable.

Ovechkin is something else. 2-3 years ago, he was an overpaid bum on these boards, not worth his huge salary.

He has come a log way.

====================

My recommendation would be to have Kreider selectively go on offense, and try to do his Jan Erixon impression on Ovi, who has more strength, I guess, but not more speed.

If Kreider hounds the sh---iskabob out of him, it is reasonable to hope he doesn't get set up or get off too many lethal wrists/snappers.

Everyone else would have to help out cause we'd be asking CK to do a strict 1 man cover as priority over offense.

Thoughts?

Bern, I don't think I've ever seen a post of your outside of the roster building thread or the trade boards.

I don't think Kreider can defensively shadow Ovy, but I hope AV told Kreider to finish every single check he can on OV. It will hopefully get OV focusing more on that and less on scoring goals.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Fast is much more even obviously. And today his top end impressed.

Love the main boards attributing this win to "bounces". Maybe I'm a homer but I really thought the Rangers controlled 80%+ of this game. I would argue that a few bounces the other way could have produced a 5-2 game.

That's not homer glasses, the Rangers definitely controlled the majority of the game with the Caps pressures coming strong a few times a period but the Rangers controlling far more of the game. I hate the bounces argument because as you said, if bounces went any other way the Rangers could've had 5 or 6 on Holtby.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Found these interesting...

Boyle on Kreider:

“He’s the fastest player I’ve ever played with by far, and I’ve played with some pretty fast players,†veteran defenseman Dan Boyle said. “Possibly the strongest.â€

Brass on Hank:

“He was pretty pissed off after the game, Game 1,†Brassard said of the team’s devastating buzzer-beater loss Thursday. “And he came back tonight. I thought he played pissed off.â€

Article:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/36643/inspired-rangers-power-past-ovechkin-capitals

Saw the Brass one during the Post Game. Duguay laughed at how he can get away with saying 'potty words' during interviews because he's french canadian. Was kinda random lol.

Missed the Boyle one though. Love that quote. I just wonder sometimes if Kreids realizes how much raw ability he truly has. He can be a game changer for years to come.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Saw the Brass one during the Post Game. Duguay laughed at how he can get away with saying 'potty words' during interviews because he's french canadian. Was kinda random lol.

Missed the Boyle one though. Love that quote. I just wonder sometimes if Kreids realizes how much raw ability he truly has. He can be a game changer for years to come.

Kreider is a specimen. Also, obviously, still very young. It's a weird skill set to harness, I would imagine, because there's not many others he can model who have that combo of mass and speed, but it's definitely a good 'problem' to have. If he's consistent in one way, he seems to generally elevate pretty well in the playoffs, which is a major plus. It's hard to gauge what the real ceiling is with him, but if he ever gets near it on a consistent basis he can be an absolute nightmare of a power forward.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Kreider is a specimen. Also, obviously, still very young. It's a weird skill set to harness, I would imagine, because there's not many others he can model who have that combo of mass and speed, but it's definitely a good 'problem' to have. If he's consistent in one way, he seems to generally elevate pretty well in the playoffs, which is a major plus. It's hard to gauge what the real ceiling is with him, but if he ever gets near it on a consistent basis he can be an absolute nightmare of a power forward.

I said in the GDT that if Kreider can figure out how to do the forsberg move on the breakaways he gets he'd be impossible to stop. Goalies are starting to realize he goes backhand every time... Holtby was in perfect position to stop Kreider today

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
I said in the GDT that if Kreider can figure out how to do the forsberg move on the breakaways he gets he'd be impossible to stop. Goalies are starting to realize he goes backhand every time... Holtby was in perfect position to stop Kreider today

Kreider has a huge frame though. It's a lot easier for a Ferrari to shift gears and take a turn at 80 mph than it is for a Mack truck

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Kreider has a huge frame though. It's a lot easier for a Ferrari to shift gears and take a turn at 80 mph than it is for a Mack truck

O ya it'd be nearly impossible but it'd give him a full arsenal of moves for when he comes in off the left boards... I still think Kreider needs work on his in zone play(screening goalie, shooting off the cycle, passing)

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
The first period of game 2 should be our blueprint for the rest of the series....quick decisive passing, pucks and bodies to the net, and hit the caps every time they touch the puck. Simple, right? Caps don't react well to this style.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
O ya it'd be nearly impossible but it'd give him a full arsenal of moves for when he comes in off the left boards... I still think Kreider needs work on his in zone play(screening goalie, shooting off the cycle, passing)

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing Kreider slow the play down at times. Like if he gets past a guy wide he can slow down and shield the puck to get better looks, rather than having to make split second plays at top speed. I reckon he's gotta play the way he's comfortable playing, but when you see a smaller guy like Patrick Kane get past someone and go wide on his skates with the puck in front of him... well, if Kane's hard to knock off the puck, Kreider should be damn near impossible.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Brooks doing an article on the offside goal in the Lightning-Habs game: "at least Montreal coach Michel Therrien hasn’t blamed Chris Kreider for the offside goal." :laugh:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If he can learn to elevate the puck on his backhand he'll be unstoppable.

This, but for the most part it doesn't seem like his hands are quick enough. Must be difficult at that speed and making quick decisions and all, but I would like to see him slow down a bit (e.g.Kane) or simply stop going backhand everytime. How about a quick halt and shoot to weak side (where goalie was coming from?, usually blocker side?)

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This was the first game of the playoffs where I didn't think the Rangers were more talented than their opponent.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
This was the first game of the playoffs where I didn't think the Rangers were more talented than their opponent.

I still feel like overall the Rangers are the better team. Defense and Goalie the Rangers are superior. Although Holtby has been quite good so far. On offense, I think the Rangers are deeper, but with Ovechkin playing like he is (and Nash not scoring) pushes the edge in Washington's favor.

If Nash was dominating like he was earlier in the year, I don't think it'd be close.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
If anything, these two games have shown that maybe some of us got lulled into a false sense of security, winning the PT and all. The Caps are about just as good as we are and this series is going to be tight as hell and go down to the wire.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
If anything, these two games have shown that maybe some of us got lulled into a false sense of security, winning the PT and all. The Caps are about just as good as we are and this series is going to be tight as hell and go down to the wire.

I don't think the skill is too different of the remaining teams in the East. The one thing I do have immense faith in is seeing what Lundqvist has proven he can do in big games. His back to back shutouts against the Caps, his performance last year on the comeback against the Pens... we have an outstanding goalie who has proven, in the playoffs, in big games, that he can play exceptionally well.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
No doubt there are no easy outs remaining at this point. The caps could certainly win this series. But I still like our D and G better, and after AO I like our forward depth more as well. No reason we can't still take this in 6 or 7. Winning game 3 is obviously huge.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

Why? We easily had the edge in the game and controlled play for most of it. Other than Ovi's singular beautiful moment what else did they as a team do that was so impressive?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Why? We easily had the edge in the game and controlled play for most of it. Other than Ovi's singular beautiful moment what else did they as a team do that was so impressive?

Not being more talented than our opponent doesn't mean we aren't as talented. It was a pretty even game. They had some great chances that Hank stopped and vice versa.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

No we got dominated and Yandle flopped the Rangers to victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad