Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers - 7pmish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
His left leg absolutely kicks and makes contact with Vanecek’s pad when he’s in full splits. It’s immediately after he does that when Wilson throws the punch. It’s almost as if both things are connected ;)
I'm not arguing whether or not the kick occurred (that's a whole separate debate), but rather pointing out the absurdity of using that as a justification for Wilson's actions. The reason why goalie contact is taboo is because goalies are in a defenless position while trying to make a save. Guess what type of position Buchnevich is in while Wilson is throwing his punches?

edit; You removed my quote from your post, so we might not be on different pages on this one

Reactions: fniss and um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
His left leg absolutely kicks and makes contact with Vanecek’s pad when he’s in full splits. It’s immediately after he does that when Wilson throws the punch. It’s almost as if both things are connected ;)

It looks like Buchnevich is falling down onto the ice while Dowd and Wilson check him.

Even if he did kick him (its hard to tell), Wilson f***ed up.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
that's a guy falling down onto the ice while Dowd and Wilson check him.
See whatever you want, he makes contact with Vanecek. That’s going to get a reaction. Buchnevich isn’t some saint either so he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
This is pretty easy to break down:

1. Wilson takes down the Rangers players headfirst with his head in a lock, this is dangerous but could be viewed as incidental.
2. Wilson takes a suckerpunch at the defensless Ranger player who already hit his head first into the ice. It does not matter if Wilson hits the head first or catches the head partially or only the neck/back of the Rangers player. There is always a risk of neck injury if you punch someone in the head/neck/back up high when the body is positioned like that. Some people dont seem to grasp that its dangerous even if not hitting the head. (I am not sure Wilson had control over where he was hitting, I doubt it)

3. Wilson grabs Panarins hair which completely throws him off balance and bodyslams him into the ice while the Rangers player does not have a helmet. That was seriously dangerous. And then he proceeds to throw punches to head and face of the helmless and defenseless Rangers player, before throwin him to the ice again. If Panarin got a concussion from the first bodyslam he could have severly brain injured from the following punches and second take down.

Summary: Wilson went overboard in a state of rage, and acted like a coward to both Rangers players. Suckerpunching someone facing down and pulling someone without a helmet to the ice by grabbing his hair and then throwing punches while he is laying down.

Wilson was defending his goaltender, and later defended himself against Panarin, but on both occasions he took it too far, and resorted to cowardly & dangerous means, which should be punished with suspension. Its apparant Wilson lost control on the ice and went over the top.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Meh I don’t really see much of a kick. Stupid play by Wilson but it’s not much of a punch.

He hasn’t been physical at all since coming back from the suspension. I rather see him still hit then something stupid like this.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Buch took liberties on VV including kicking him which was wrong. Wilson reacted (which was wrong). Other guy comes in as a third man (wrong). Panarin comes in as 4th man in (wrong). Willy starts throwing punches and throws player to ice (wrong). All of which results in penalties. Settled.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
See whatever you want, he makes contact with Vanecek. That’s going to get a reaction. Buchnevich isn’t some saint either so he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt

you sound like my friend warning me about his bulldog.

I'd prefer Wilson behave like a normal person who doesn't sucker punch people who are already down and not engaged.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
As a Pens fan, I’m not really sure why this is the thing that has made everyone go crazy with Wilson. Seems like typical after the whistle bullshit every team’s tough guy pulls. It’s not really something I think should be applauded, but suspending someone for it seems insanely egregious.

The Janko hit this year was way more predatory than Panarin getting dummied for trying to toss with a big dog.

As another pens fan, I agree. I see this as Wilson giving the guy a jab in an attempt to defend his goalie. Panarin jumps on Wilson, and asks for it.

A few key points here: Wilson never dropped his gloves. He could have dropped is gloves and decapitated Panarin. He did not. He took it to the ground (ice). No doubt he wanted to inflict some pain on Panarin... but again, he could have dropped his gloves at any point in that dilemma and proceed to deliver real consequential punches.

Some will argue that he pulled his hair. This happens all the time, guys go to reach for jerseys and get a handful of hair.

I see nothing wrong with any of this. Then again, my preferred era of hockey is 05-14 when this nonsense would happen on a nightly basis. I’m blown away at how sensitive fans have become to this kind of thing.

Lastly, Panarin decided to jump on the lion and got bit. Albeit just a scratch. Wilson could have killed him, and didn’t.

Also f*** Wilson. Love you all.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

1. Wilson takes down the Rangers players headfirst with his head in a lock, this is dangerous but could be viewed as incidental.
2. Wilson takes a suckerpunch at the defensless Ranger player who already hit his head first into the ice. It does not matter if Wilson hits the head first or catches the head partially or only the neck/back of the Rangers player. There is always a risk of neck injury if you punch someone in the head/neck/back up high when the body is positioned like that

3. Wilson grabs Panarins hair which completely throws him off balance and bodyslams him into the ice while the Rangers player does not have a helmet. That was seriously dangerous. And then he proceeds to throw punches to head and face of the helmless and defenseless Rangers player, before throwin him to the ice again. If Panarin got a concussion from the first bodyslam he could have severly brain injured from the following punches and second take down.

Summary: Wilson went overboard in a state of rage, and acted like a coward to both Rangers players. Suckerpunching someone facing down and pulling someone without a helmet to the ice by grabbing his hair and then throwing punches while he is laying down.

Wilson was defending his goaltender, and later defended himself against Panarin, but on both occasions he took it too far, and resorted to cowardly & dangerous means, which should be punished with suspension. Its apparant Wilson lost control on the ice and went over the top.
This is a one way novel to say everything in the world is Wilson’s fault and that Rags didn’t do anything wrong. Funny.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
you sound like my friend warning me about his bulldog.

I'd prefer Wilson behave like a normal person who doesn't sucker punch people who are already down and not engaged.
No I sound like someone who watches enough hockey to know that if you do something stupid, accident or not, to a goaltender you’re going to get a reaction. Again, Buchnevich isn’t some saint. He runs his mouth constantly and plays like an asshole. He isn’t getting he benefit of the doubt when it comes to kicking towards a defenseless goaltender

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
No I sound like someone who watches enough hockey to know that if you do something stupid, accident or not, to a goaltender you’re going to get a reaction. Again, Buchnevich isn’t some saint. He runs his mouth constantly and plays like an asshole. He isn’t getting he benefit of the doubt when it comes to kicking towards a defenseless goaltender

Wilson sucker punched a defenseless player who was down on the ice.

There's nothing that happened that makes it alright.

I didn't even mention him body slamming Panarin and grabbing his hair.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

2. Wilson takes a suckerpunch at the defensless Ranger player who already hit his head first into the ice. It does not matter if Wilson hits the head first or catches the head partially or only the neck/back of the Rangers player. There is always a risk of neck injury if you punch someone in the head/neck/back up high when the body is positioned like that. Some people dont seem to grasp that its dangerous even if not hitting the head. (I am not sure Wilson had control over where he was hitting, I doubt it)

This is a one way novel to say everything in the world is Wilson’s fault and that Rags didn’t do anything wrong. Funny.

Not at all, the Rangers player was trying to score a goal, jamming at a lose puck. That was "hockey play" a phrase Capitals players have been using as an excuse for Wilsons previous suspension.

This time, Wilsons two actions were not a hockey play, they were cheapshots. The Rangers player watching Wilson pummel a defenseless Buskevich and jumps on him to stop the assault. Wilson could have engaged him in a fair manner instead of grabbing his hair and slamming him into the ice. Wilson just chose the most dangerous and coward way of engaging with these Rangers players and he will be paying for it in suspension, and rightly so.

All Wilson has to do is not suckerpunching someone laying face onto the ice, and also not doing takedowns pulling another players hair especially when they have no helmet! Wilson choose to be a coward in a dangerous way, simple as that.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Wilson was dirty. Seeing the Panarin's clip, I don't want to see that to any player. That was dangerous and stupid. Yes, the whole incident fired up the team and they played better, but I wish it wasn't involved helmetless Panarin and face down Buchenevich.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Calm down! Pointing out everything that happened makes you a Wilson defender! :sarcasm:
(It also hurts other’s fragile internet ego.)

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Not at all, the Rangers player was trying to score a goal, jamming at a lose puck. That was "hockey play" a phrase Capitals players have been using as an excuse for Wilsons previous suspension.

This time, Wilsons two actions were not a hockey play, they were cheapshots. The Rangers player watching Wilson pummel a defenseless Buskevich and jumps on him to stop the assault. Wilson could have engaged him in a fair manner instead of grabbing his hair and slamming him into the ice. Wilson just chose the most dangerous and coward way of engaging with these Rangers players and he will be paying for it in suspension, and rightly so.

All Wilson has to do is not suckerpunching someone laying face onto the ice, and also not doing takedowns pulling another players hair especially when they have no helmet! Wilson choose to be a coward in a dangerous way, simple as that.
All the rag player has to do is not kick at a goalie in the splits!

All the rag player has to do is not be the 3rd or 4th man in and jumping on his back.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm kinda busy so if you're an outside fan trolling I'm not particularly in the mood to be lenient.

Consider this your warning. I don't care if you miss it.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I’m a doctor as well. There is just as much chance someone gets an epidural hematoma from a fist to the temple. You cannot say Wilson trying to take a guy hard to the ice is any more egregious or with intent to cause an intracranial bleed/serious TBI than a punch to the head. Just like fighting if it happens it’s incidental to the extracurricular stuff that goes on in hockey. You have a problem with it, then advocate for banning ALL fighting in any form. This is very different from a head shot during the course of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad