Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Rangers - 7pmish

Status
Not open for further replies.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
As another pens fan, I agree. I see this as Wilson giving the guy a jab in an attempt to defend his goalie. Panarin jumps on Wilson, and asks for it.

A few key points here: Wilson never dropped his gloves. He could have dropped is gloves and decapitated Panarin. He did not. He took it to the ground (ice). No doubt he wanted to inflict some pain on Panarin... but again, he could have dropped his gloves at any point in that dilemma and proceed to deliver real consequential punches.

Some will argue that he pulled his hair. This happens all the time, guys go to reach for jerseys and get a handful of hair.

I see nothing wrong with any of this. Then again, my preferred era of hockey is 05-14 when this nonsense would happen on a nightly basis. I’m blown away at how sensitive fans have become to this kind of thing.

Lastly, Panarin decided to jump on the lion and got bit. Albeit just a scratch. Wilson could have killed him, and didn’t.

Also f*** Wilson. Love you all.
This is a really good post. Pretty much sums up how I feel. Thank you. Wilson was dirty and I'm fine with the penalty. Considering the era and how it could be dangerous for Panarin, I'm even OK with some games suspensions (though if it wasn't Tom Wilson I'm pretty sure the reaction would be different). But trending on Twitter and billions pages on the main and the cry for making him a murder is too much. Also the Caps twitter was stupid, but funny and seeing how people reacted on it - I'm starting to think I'm living in a wrong era.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I once saw Mike Bullard skate right up to Kevin Hatcher....and swat him right across the mouth with the blade of his stick. No penalty. Wonder what the reaction would be if the internets existed back then....

what does that have to do with now?

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
This kind of thing does happen often and that in of itself is an issue. NHL allows a culture of after whistle nonsense and cheap shots so this is a natural progression. So the NHL is wrong.

i thought Wilson was maturing but now I’m thinking he might actually be a psycho or maybe just a little stupid which is unfortunate bc he’s a good player now. Tonight was ridiculous. I fully expect him suspended until Opening Night in October. Really stupid decision that will further reduce our odds of another Cup. Not a lot of intelligence amongst our best players.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
its not convenient for Wilson. Unfortunately he was being filmed.

you see, it showed Wilson sucker punching a player who was already down on the ice.
Oh, we’ve moved on to sucker punch now? I’m starting a list. The changes are starting to pile up.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Wow?!

lmao! It’s true, wilson is in the head of every opposing teams fan base.

I once saw Mike Bullard skate right up to Kevin Hatcher....and swat him right across the mouth with the blade of his stick. No penalty. Wonder what the reaction would be if the internets existed back then....

They also use to let guys play after getting their brain scrambled into goo.

a lot of f***ed dumb shit happened in the past

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
don't worry, Caps fans know everyone else is wrong about Wilson and we're the smart ones.

Not all other fans. Pens fans still love us it seems like :heart::heart::heart:. Friends forever :laugh::laugh:

I do think Buchnevich was trying to kick the puck in - or intended to, and you don't do that. It's not even shoving the puck with the stick, but with the blade of the skate to move it in underneath Vanecek. And I commend Wilson defending his goalie.

But whatever Buchnevich did, and the want to defend your goalie, Wilson just can't punch the guy while he's already down, even a weak gloved one. I probably would have just washed his face on the ice there and thats what I thought Wilson did at first, but that is easy to say when not in the heat of the moment.

Either way, we can all rail at who is at fault. Wilson, DoPS, fans, culture. But we all know that the game has changed now and while we all enjoy Tom and the edge he brings, it's a double-sided edge and we should be prepared for any sort of discipline.

The Panarin thing is a nothing burger. Panarin jumped on Wilson's back and Wilson didn't intentionally go out to grab Panarin's hair but was trying to grab the back of of the jersey to get the guy off of him.

The fact that Panarin's hair goes all the way down his back doesn’t mean that Wilson was trying to grab it like some sort of cat fight.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The Panarin thing is a nothing burger. Panarin jumped on Wilson's back and Wilson didn't intentionally go out to grab Panarin's hair but was trying to grab back of his jersey to get the guy off of him.

The fact that Panarin's hair goes all the way down his back doesn’t mean that Wilson was trying to grab it like some sort of cat fight.

maybe he didn't grab Panarin's hair (it is a grainy video) but it was a body slam which is not allowed and it comes with a huge risk of head injury. Therefore it was an extremely dirty play.

Frankly it was a massive overaction on Wilson's part. People say scrums happen all the time and this is nothing, if that's the case than why is Wilson freaking out on Panarin and pulling some wrestling moves? The dude lost it.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
maybe he didn't grab Panarin's hair (it is a grainy video) but it was a body slam which is not allowed and it comes with a huge risk of head injury. Therefore it was an extremely dirty play.

frankly it was a massive overaction on Wilson's part, people say scrums happen all the time, than why is Wilson freaking out on Panarin and pulling some wrestling moves? The dude lost it.

Have you ever had someone grab you from behind? Your first instinct is to throw them.

The Buch thing is a nono. Panarin grabbed him from behind and thats on Panarin.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Have you ever had someone grab you from behind? Your first instinct is to throw them.

The Buch thing is a nono. Panarin grabbed him from behind and thats on Panarin.

It was Strome who grabbed Wilson, and Wilson threw Panarin down 5 seconds later.

Wilson and all NHLers have been involved in a thousand scrums, Wilson crossed the line and f***ed up.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It's always been sucker punch. Here's the video:

View attachment 429413
Sorry that’s not a sucker lunch. A guy who was involved in a scrum and jumped on his back is not oblivious to what’s coming. He’s also curled up in a ball like a turtle because he knew what was coming. So find a different term than sucker punch, which is a punch out of nowhere to an unsuspecting opponent.

Reactions: The Nightman

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Sorry that’s not a sucker lunch. A guy who was involved in a scrum and jumped on his back is not oblivious to what’s coming. He’s also curled up in a ball like a turtle because he knew what was coming. So find a different term than sucker punch, which is a punch out of nowhere to an unexpectint opponent.
Give him some time and he’ll get there. He’s working through his list right now

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sorry that’s not a sucker lunch. A guy who was involved in a scrum and jumped on his back is not oblivious to what’s coming. He’s also curled up in a ball like a turtle because he knew what was coming. So find a different term than sucker punch, which is a punch out of nowhere to an unsuspecting opponent.

there was no scrum, Wilson threw the first punch.

notice no other caps are going at Buchnevich and no Rangers are doing anything. The scrum follows the sucker punch, which is what it was.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
It was Strome who grabbed Wilson, and Wilson threw Panarin down 5 seconds later.

Wilson and all NHLers have been involved in a thousand scrums, Wilson crossed the line and f***ed up.
It was Strome and then Panarin. Panarin jumped on him and hugged him from the behind. Anyway I agree that Wilson overreacted, but Panarin wasn't innocent here. Even the Rags commentators said that Panarin "defended the teammate".

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It was Strome and then Panarin. Panarin jumped on him and hugged him from the behind. Anyway I agree that Wilson overreacted, but Panarin wasn't innocent here. Even the Rags commentators said that Panarin "defended the teammate".

I agree. But Wilson still screwed up and did something very stupid.

It wasnt right when Oshie got body slammed by Morrisey a few years ago and its not right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad